Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Yellow wire on Alpine 9833

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:48 PM
cehome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow wire on Alpine 9833

Ok, so the instructions says to connect the yellow wire directly to your battery. Do I have do do this? Can't I wire the yellow to the metra wiring harness instead of going directly to the battery? What are the pitfalls of connecting it directly to the wiring harness?

Last edited by cehome; 06-30-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:08 PM
manofsteele2003

The yellow wire is a constant 12v power source, the factory harness should have one. It's used to keep the memory and clock settings on the radio. If you have the wiring diagram you have for the stock radio there should be a constant 12v source, that's the one you need to connect to, not directly to the battery.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:38 PM
cehome

Originally posted by manofsteele2003
The yellow wire is a constant 12v power source, the factory harness should have one. It's used to keep the memory and clock settings on the radio. If you have the wiring diagram you have for the stock radio there should be a constant 12v source, that's the one you need to connect to, not directly to the battery.
I'm using the Metra nissan radio harness. So I can connect it to the metra harness and not directly to the battery? Then why does Crutchfield suggest connecting it directly to the battery?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Because some Alpine models have a slightly higher output per channel which requires a high gauge 12v input. Just run a 10 or 12g fused cable to your battery.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:03 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default Re: Yellow wire on Alpine 9833

If you are going to be running your interior speakers at high volumes for long amounts of time then I would go directly to the battery. The internal amplifier on the higher end Alpines use a large amount of current, which is better sourced through a 10ga wire going directly to the battery. If you plan on using an external amp for your 4 interior speakers then go ahead and hook up the yellow wire the the Metra wire harness. The only reason you need to go directly to the battery is so that the internal amp will have enough power to operate as designed.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net

Originally posted by cehome
Ok, so the instructions says to connect the yellow wire directly to your battery. Do I have do do this? Can't I wire the yellow to the metra wiring harness instead of going directly to the battery? What are the pitfalls of connecting it directly to the wiring harness?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:00 PM
cehome

Default Re: Re: Yellow wire on Alpine 9833

Originally posted by KPierson
If you are going to be running your interior speakers at high volumes for long amounts of time then I would go directly to the battery. The internal amplifier on the higher end Alpines use a large amount of current, which is better sourced through a 10ga wire going directly to the battery. If you plan on using an external amp for your 4 interior speakers then go ahead and hook up the yellow wire the the Metra wire harness. The only reason you need to go directly to the battery is so that the internal amp will have enough power to operate as designed.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
I plan on running an external amp for the fronts. The rears will run off the Alpine. I'll be safe and just run it to the battery. Now next question is how do you connect a 16 gauge wire to a 10 gauge wire without soldering?
Old 07-04-2004, 06:10 AM
KPierson
Banned

Why wouldn't you want to solder it? All the wires on the head unit should be soldered to the harness to make sure they never come apart. Soldering really isn' that hard, and in most cases is actually cheaper then buying a set of crimpers and butt connectors. You can buy a soldering iron from WalMart for $8.

Soldering is the only way to make a permanent connection that will not corrode over time.

I believe they make 10 ga butt connectors though. You could always strip the 16ga back a little and wrap it around the 10ga. Then insert them both into one side of a butt connector. Ghetto fabulous!

haha,
Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
Old 07-04-2004, 10:13 AM
cehome

Originally posted by KPierson
Why wouldn't you want to solder it? All the wires on the head unit should be soldered to the harness to make sure they never come apart. Soldering really isn' that hard, and in most cases is actually cheaper then buying a set of crimpers and butt connectors. You can buy a soldering iron from WalMart for $8.

Soldering is the only way to make a permanent connection that will not corrode over time.

I believe they make 10 ga butt connectors though. You could always strip the 16ga back a little and wrap it around the 10ga. Then insert them both into one side of a butt connector. Ghetto fabulous!

haha,
Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
I have no confidence in my soldering skills. That's why; But I'll give it a shot and hopefully I won't burn my fingers like I did the last time
Old 07-04-2004, 03:09 PM
KPierson
Banned

The key to soldering is to first make a solid 'mechanical' connection. This is done by stripping both wires back 1/2" to 1" and wrapping them tightly together (end to end). Then, heat the joint up and apply solder to the joint, not to the iron. Make sure you head up the wire enough to actually melt the solder. Some people will apply solder to the tip of the iron, and this will cause excess dripping and cold solder joints.

Good luck!

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net