Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My Amp is whining!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Zracer03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Amp is whining!

I put in a new system a few weeks back and I guess I just noticed it, but the AMP kind of whistles with the engine, when I rev, it gets louder. It sounds like it's the actual amp making the noise, and not coming from the speakers but I could be wrong. I dont have RCA's or anything running next to the power wire from the battery either. The only thing running next to the power wire is the amp turn on lead, and one speaker wire. I have tried to re rout things and even re ground the ground wire in a new spot, but with no success. I don't hear it really when the radio is turned up, just when the volume is all the way down. The sounds goes away with the radio off obviously. Any ideas? thanks
Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
neur0sis

Even though you re-grounded, it sound like you have a ground loop / bad ground point. Where is the amp mounted, and where did you ground it?

If the area you grounded was painted, you might want to sand it down to the bare metal, and reattach the ground so it gets a good contact.

Also, is your head unit grounded well? You might want to pick a different ground spot for that as well.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Zracer03

Originally posted by neur0sis
Even though you re-grounded, it sound like you have a ground loop / bad ground point. Where is the amp mounted, and where did you ground it?

If the area you grounded was painted, you might want to sand it down to the bare metal, and reattach the ground so it gets a good contact.

Also, is your head unit grounded well? You might want to pick a different ground spot for that as well.
The AMP is installed in the old Sub space. The ground is attached also in that space against the wall of the side of the car. I'm using a gold plated stinger grounding clip and I sanded the wall down to bare metal. I cant think of a better area within that compartment to ground it. As for the HU, it's grounded beck to the wiring harness i believe, which I grounded to the bolts in front of the gear shift. There's a chance the HU came un done or isnt grounded corrrectly but I think it has to do with the amp in this case. There are so many wires behind the HU, that if I take it out again, it wont go back on. It's been in and out a few times and all the clips and brackets are on their last leg. If the HU is causing the problem, I guess i'll have to live with it thanks!
Old 08-03-2004, 04:18 AM
jazz z1

A Ground Loop Filter should take care of the whinning sound. Install it at the HU where the Amp's RC cables connect.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 AM
mgk65

www.davidnavone.com has the best ground loop and alternator whine eliminators.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:23 PM
neur0sis

Well, the HU ground couldn't have come undone, else the unit would not power up!

It does sound like a pretty solid ground point in the back, similar to where I have mine grounded.

The only other thing I can think of is if the whine sounds like its coming from the AMP itself, maybe the switching power supply in the amp itself may be causing problems. That would suck, but I can't think of much else! Maybe swap another amp in there and see if it does the same thing?

From my experience, ground loop isolators are just band-aids to the problem... and usually tend to filter out some of the low end freq's in a system. This would cause your bass response to go to hell. I wouldn't use one unless absolutly necessary... personally.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:44 PM
MonkeyBoy

It might actually be the ground point that you selected next to the gear shift. I remember when I selected that point, I was not getting a very good ground. Instead, I spliced into a ground wire within the loom inside of the radio compartment.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Zracer03

The whine isnt too bad, and after the car has been running a few minutes, it goes away. Even if I turn the car off and back on, the sound usually doesnt come back until the next day. I dont notice it at all if the radio is turned up at all, so it's no big deal. It's not a big enough problem for me to tear the HU out again. I've done it three times and there are just too many broken clips and bent brackets to deal with it. Jamming 600 wires behind the small area behind the HU is just no fun. thanks for all your help!