Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sirius or XM ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:46 AM
msims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
But the problem is, you are taking a pulse by looking at the patient and seeing how flush they look rather than putting your thumb on their wrist. "Ah, the patient looks a little red in the face... the pulse must be around 80bpm" Of course, it could just as easily be that the patient is drunk, sunburned, or embarrassed. Not very conclusive.

The pulse I suggested are the Cash Flow or Working Capital figures. Quick easy to obtain facts. The full work up is getting into the financial details and SEC reports.

BTW, for the record, when comparing XM and Sirius based on Opie & Anthony vs Howard Stern, it should be noted that XM charges an additional $1.99 for O&A where Howard will be at no extra charge on Sirius. This in addition to if you want XM Radio online (internet access) for $3.99 a month where Sirius online access is no extra charge. I'm not trying to assess which is better, just providing some additional facts for those shopping.
So are you suggesting that Sirius is doing better overall than XM? Because other than giving everyone a lesson in finance, I don't understand your point.

And I personally don't understand what is so great about Stern. Bathroom humor only lasts so long (it gets old fast). He is not creative, and he is not intelligent. His fan base only gives us a clearer understanding of where American culture stands today. I'm not insulting our culture, but only stating my opinion with my observations.

But hey - if I could pull in a hundred mil by interviewing strippers and making fun of the disabled and socially inept - would I? Not in a million years. But principles seem to be escaping us these days.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
SvR350z

I wouldnt say sirius is doing better than Xm but Ill just about promise you there will be a point in time they will be at least equal.
Its just like amd the computer chip company.
Little amd couldnt do anything right. I told people, Just wait and give it time. They will get it right.
People laughed at me and said nah man intel all the way.
Well, Now when you look at amd they are growing largely and
Their stocks that was worth almost nothing is worth about the same as intels.
Im telling you, Give sirius time and they will be as large as Xm.
Mark those words. Remember them. Remember that your buddy
svr said it.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point was to illustrate that your suggestion that XM is better because their stock price is higher is absolutely absurd and only someone not educated in matters of finance and financial markets would make that assessment. Since this is much of the populace, I shared additional information to steer them to more accurate "pulse" indicators.

As for talk radio... granted, there is much potty humor on Stern, but there are also more celebrity interviews and news commentary than I've heard on any other morning radio program of its type (we're obviously not comparing it to NPR and such here).

I was just providing additional info for those who have yet to decide. For some reason, msims has taken this as a personal attack.

Personally, I think there are people that will like XM and those that will like Sirius. msims chose XM because he feels the signal has truer quality... and if that is what most important for him and others great. But 99+% of the population will likely not be able to discern the difference in compression technologies.

I selected Sirius based on channel selection (which can go to either Sirius or XM depending exactly what you are looking for) and the fact they will add Howard Stern to their lineup in 2006 (something you can only get at Sirius).

You can further argue Sirius has better satellite coverage... 3 satellites in eliptical orbits with two over the US at any given time where XM has two in geostationary orbits roughly over the equator that must be aimed north to blanket the US. Does this mean more lost signals on XM than Sirius. I don't know, but someone out there might and may make a decision based on this (BTW, I have yet to lose signal once on my Sirius receiver other than when I'm parked under my house in the garage).

I think anyone seriously considering satellite radio who hasn't already decided on Sirius or XM would be well served to check out the following two links.

First, a nice Car Audio review & commentary on both systems. As you will see from this review, in several cases the writer notes XM has better sound quality, but in some other cases, Sirius has better quality... indicating to me the margin of difference between the two, though slanted in XM's favor, is very small.

Car Audio Article

And this is just a quick table comparison of different features both have. I think this is a little out of date as I believe both services now have more stations than listed and Sirius does offer traffic stations (though not as many markets as XM).

Sirius Vs XM Comparison Chart

Last edited by mcduck; 11-16-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM
davez

I like sirius over xm, I just subscribed(beacuse of stern mostly) but it does sound great plus they have a one time payment (for life) option $499.00 which i went for.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
msims

Originally posted by davez
I like sirius over xm, I just subscribed(beacuse of stern mostly) but it does sound great plus they have a one time payment (for life) option $499.00 which i went for.
I hope that receiver never breaks!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 PM
msims

Originally posted by mcduck
My point was to illustrate that your suggestion that XM is better because their stock price is higher is absolutely absurd
Since I never said it was an absolute measure of a company's success, it is obvious that you read too much into my statement.

and only someone not educated in matters of finance and financial markets would make that assessment.
Being a business major myself, I have taken several accounting courses, not to mention economics. I will complete my finance classes next year. It's just that I didn't feel the need to boldly state any credentials in order to make myself look good (I'm not insecure in my knowledge and abilities). This was not a financial analysis discussion, and my statement about stock performance being able to measure the quality of a company is still generally true. If you are too **** and over zealous in all your financial education to accept that, I'm sorry.

Since this is much of the populace, I shared additional information to steer them to more accurate "pulse" indicators.
Which added nothing to the converstaion actually.

I was just providing additional info for those who have yet to decide. For some reason, msims has taken this as a personal attack.
Not sure how you once again read into my posts. Since I don't see anything you said as either relevant OR personal, this is simply an assumption on your part.

Personally, I think there are people that will like XM and those that will like Sirius. msims chose XM because he feels the signal has truer quality... and if that is what most important for him and others great. But 99+% of the population will likely not be able to discern the difference in compression technologies.

I selected Sirius based on channel selection (which can go to either Sirius or XM depending exactly what you are looking for) and the fact they will add Howard Stern to their lineup in 2006 (something you can only get at Sirius).

You can further argue Sirius has better satellite coverage... 3 satellites in eliptical orbits with two over the US at any given time where XM has two in geostationary orbits roughly over the equator that must be aimed north to blanket the US. Does this mean more lost signals on XM than Sirius. I don't know, but someone out there might and may make a decision based on this (BTW, I have yet to lose signal once on my Sirius receiver other than when I'm parked under my house in the garage).

I think anyone seriously considering satellite radio who hasn't already decided on Sirius or XM would be well served to check out the following two links.

First, a nice Car Audio review & commentary on both systems. As you will see from this review, in several cases the writer notes XM has better sound quality, but in some other cases, Sirius has better quality... indicating to me the margin of difference between the two, though slanted in XM's favor, is very small.

Car Audio Article

And this is just a quick table comparison of different features both have. I think this is a little out of date as I believe both services now have more stations than listed and Sirius does offer traffic stations (though not as many markets as XM).

Sirius Vs XM Comparison Chart
Very good information. Thanks for taking the time to look it up and post it.

Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A car audio specialtist (salesman) told me that if you have a lifetime ($499) Sirius subscription - and the receiver breaks - that if you take it to a (licensed) Sirius dealer (like him) - and they certify that it is busted - you can TRANSFER the lifetime license to another unit. You must be the original purchaser, and you must buy the receiver from him (of course).

I'd love to see than on the Sirius web site. I'm not sure it's true.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:13 PM
SvR350z

Guys lets keep this debate open minded and not bash each other to death please.
We can offer an opinion without being rear ends!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
msims

Originally posted by jcn30127
A car audio specialtist (salesman) told me that if you have a lifetime ($499) Sirius subscription - and the receiver breaks - that if you take it to a (licensed) Sirius dealer (like him) - and they certify that it is busted - you can TRANSFER the lifetime license to another unit. You must be the original purchaser, and you must buy the receiver from him (of course).

I'd love to see than on the Sirius web site. I'm not sure it's true.
From this link:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1019257316747

"You may not transfer a lifetime Subscription to a different Sirius Receiver."

It would be nice to know that they would allow an authorized reseller to transfer the subscription. Heck, they should just let you mail in the broken unit, and then once they have it in their hands, they should let you transfer over to another receiver.

If Sirius would clean up their audio quality, I would switch in a heartbeat. But for whatever reason, I literally cannot handle digital garble in the higher frequencies. It makes my skin crawl.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
DaddyPhatSaks

Not sure about XM, but I hooked up my Sirius this weekend and I love it! I mainly listen to Dance and Hip Hop and I must say the Trance and Club Mix channels are great. I couldnt be more happier. Hell I ate my lunch in the car today programming all my channels lol.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
davez

yeah it kinda blows , they said once the warranty runs out your screwd, but if it lasts for four years that it dosent realy make a difference i will have basically broke even, and anything else after that is money in my pocket. i could always go month to month for a discounted rate after for an additonal tuner they told me.