Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 03:32 AM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Mikey Likes It and everyone else:

I am wrapping up a trip in Asia. I will call Paul when I get back to USA and to see what is up. Right now, I am more worried about getting home safely. There is a typhoon very close by expecting to hit us directly and I might not be able to get home with possible delayed/canceld flights + the fear of SARS on the plane too. When I left on the 10th, Paul said we were about 2 weeks away so hopefully we will have good news later this week. I will post an update as soon as I return ok. sorry for the delays guys.

Jeff
Don't sweat it. Just get home safely.
I spoke to Paul yesterday, and he said that we are about 2 weeks out. He is a perfectionist, and the 1st set of molds he did didn't turn out a well as expected.

Mike
Old 04-19-2003, 06:51 AM
tonkadog

Jeff, just get home safe - don't worry about something as trivial as this enclosure. Besides, I personally don't think this is your responsibility, it is now between those of us who ordered and Paul.

Mike, thanks for the update, I was getting ready to call Paul myself, but seeing that you have already spoke with him, there is no need. So pretty much we are looking at the end of April for the first run? I hope he gets this set of molds to where he is happy with them. I understand and appreciate attention to detail and quality craftmanship, but I am starting to get antsy . Have everything installed and working, all I need is this enclosure.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Paul Doerrer

Angry zbox

Jeff please call me about the box. We nee to modify it slightly to make the mold work. can i ue your car for a dayor two todo this? call me whn you get this message
Old 04-22-2003, 01:49 PM
BigZ

Default What type of changes?

Paul,

The modifications to the box you are entertaining, are they visible?

And how long do you perceive this taking ?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I am going to take my Z down to Paul tomorrow. He plans on having it for 1-2 days to test fit etc for final mold design. So I lose my Z again for a couple of days, hopefully this will be the final fitting for the mold for production. I miss having my sub (he gave me a temporary one that is just strapped down so it is not the same) and most of you want your sub so we are in the same boat so to speak.

Last edited by zland; 04-22-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default closer

OK, my Z is at Paul's shop right now. It is being used for final adjustments in the mold to make sure it works out fine. Hopefully i will get it back tomorrow but maybe Friday? We are getting close. I as checking everything out while I was there. There is one little corner that needs to be adjusted a little bit but besides that, it is a go. Paul likes to get it right so the delay is a good thing.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 04-24-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:42 AM
tonkadog

Jeff, Thanks again for keeping us all posted and for yet again sacrificing your Z and sub for the rest of us!
Old 04-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

Default Re: closer

Originally posted by zland
OK, my Z is at Paul's shop right now. It is being used for final adjustments in the mold to make sure it works out fine. Hopefully i will get it back tomorrow but maybe Friday? We are getting close. I as checking everything out while I was there. There is one little corner that needs to be adjusted a little bit but besides that, it is a go. Paul likes to get it right so the delay is a good thing.

Jeff
Good to hear you're back and OK! Looking forward to getting some thump!

Mike
Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 AM
BigZ

Default Closer

Jeff,

Once again.. thanks for your sacrifice.

Can't wait
Old 04-24-2003, 07:55 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just got off the phone with Paul. He said they are done using my car and that the small radius issue has been resolved. I am picking up my Z after work tomorrow. I think the next step in this process will be me getting the first production box. As you may remember, my box that was used for the pictures was sacraficed as the plug so molds could be built off of it. He can use these molds for making about 20-30 boxes, then another mold most be made from that plug thst use to be my enclosure. He decided to keep my orginal box as the plug. The first thing they did was fill in/sand my original box until it was perfect so the molds would be top quality.

The front, top corner of the box that intercepts with the crossbar was the problem area (see my pic posted below and look at the top rt corner, that was the area they were playing with). The corner was not releasing properly until they changed it slightly so the boxes would release from the mold. Now that the problem is resolved, we should be smooth sailing from here on out. I am mentioning it to you just from a design standpoint. I know it is a small detail and most of you might not even care or notice it but solving design problems is of interests to me and I was thinking you might be interested as well. I will post pics of my box that is going to be made so you guys can see it before you get yours. When I pick up my Z tomorrow, I will try to find out when my box will be finished and installed. I think it is everyones benefit that I get mine first since my Z is the test bed thus your boxes will be an improvement over mine.

I guess I should mention that the first box that Paul built off the mold looked pretty good to me but he is a perfectionist. I teach product design so I feel I have a good eye for products (infact, there is a number of things on our 350Z I would like to change if I was on the design team). My bet is you will all be happy with the product.

On another topic, I noticed that my stock CD player does not like playing my CD-R's. My other car plays them fine and my home CD player as well but for some reason my Z just skips a lot. Anyone else have that problem? Paul upgraded my entire stereo except for my Deck. I was trying to keep it stock looking. Now I am thinking on going to a Eclipse CD player just so I can play CD-R's.

Last edited by zland; 09-16-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:21 AM
tonkadog

zland - tried to PM but your box is full...
Old 04-25-2003, 04:44 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Hmm, ok, I will try to erase a lot out of my PM box. Says something like only 27% but I am sure you are right. Try again ok.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:55 AM
tonkadog

ok worked this time - sent you a pm
Old 05-08-2003, 07:09 AM
BigZ

Default What is the status?

I am very curious how close we are to receiving the box.. Over two months now with no deliveries.

Don't get me wrong.. I want this box but I am getting very impatient.. since I have a 10" Bazooka sliding around in my hatch until I get this.

Paul,
Any expectation of first deliveries and how many are you building?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-30-2003, 11:35 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Everyone that placed an order with Paul:

I am picking up my sub enclosure in 3 hours (when I get off work), Paul got the first one done - Mine), now we are in production. He said it looks as good as my original so you will be pleased. He said he is working on getting 3 more done as we speak. Finally, the wait is over, everything is a go! Call Paul for your delivery date if you like but just know he is making them in the order they were ordered. He can build one per day (limitation due to the mold) ...Jeff
Old 05-30-2003, 12:15 PM
tonkadog

Jeff that's great news! And thank you for all you have done to make this happen. I know my patience was wearing thin and I am sure my frustration showed, but I really do appreciate this.

For everyone else, I just got off the phone with Skip. He said he had 2 ready to go out tomorrow or Monday. He also said that I would be one of the first to get one, if not the first shippment, the second which is going to be later next week. I placed my order on March 4th, so hopefully that gives you an idea of where you might fall. I do not know how many orders were placed, but I would think you could guestimate from the number of respsones in the various threads where you fall in line.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I got my car back with the sub enclosure. As you may know, my original enclosure was used in tooling up the mold for a production run. Now, I got the first sub enclosure for the production run. I attached a pic for you guys to see. It looks great, just exactly like the one I gave up months ago. Wow, the sound is much better than the loaner sub enclosure I was using in its place.

The best Paul can do is produce one enclosure a day since it has to dry in the mold. then, the next day, both the front and back pieces are removed from the mold, and glassed together. The next step is sanding, applying exterior vinyl etc. If everything works out as planed, he can make one per day (2 day process). that means in a perfect world, 5 per week. There is something like 12 enclosures if i remember correctly. Just as a rough estimate, i would think you will be getting yours shipped in about 2 weeks time with installation directions enclosed. If you were one of the first to order, then maybe a week earlier.

I think you guys will love them, they look and sound clean....Jeff

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:37 PM
tekkensux

Last edited by tekkensux; 12-30-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: ...
Old 05-31-2003, 10:07 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

1. The carpet was cut, not sure if it was needed to be done, I think he did it so you can pull out the carpet to clean and vacuum. Anyways, at first he did not put an edge on it, then, I asked if he could do it and he said sure. Actually, i think it looked better when it was just cut with no edge IMHO but I cannot go back to that now. Stilll looks ok.

2. He drilled thru the enclusre last time with a small screw into the area that is the cross brace/strut or whatever you call it. The last time he did it different, he actually drilled a hole and bolted it thru the wheel well and then siliconed it, said it was stronger that way.
I hope that gives you a good picture of how it was done. Actually, I iknow he took some pics of what he was doing and said he planned on using them in the directions you get when you buy the box. I am not sure if he shows himself drilling the holes though??

Jeff
Old 06-01-2003, 01:33 AM
tekkensux

Last edited by tekkensux; 12-30-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: ...

Quick Reply: my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?