Notices

How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM
iPhoneGuaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, are the two switchblade FOBs on ebay the only two styles that are available for the 350z? They seem fairly bland aesthetically, especially compared with how sharp the 370z's FOB is. Can anyone direct me to others that are nicer looking?

Guaco
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
niZam

Just got done putting my key together from a-suntek. Decent build quality, not as good as OEM but not cheap by ebay standards.

I wrapped the transponder in paper to make a snug fit. I also glued 2 nickles in the remote to increase the weight. It felt too light in my hand without them. When I put it together I wound the spring two full turns to increase the pressure when the key flips out. Again, just another thing to make it feel more like a quality OEM piece.

Couple more notes, I offered the guy 17.50 for it, he came back with 19.49, not bad, it also comes with new buttons and an extra Nissan sticker. I also asked for an extra blank which he gladly sent, just in case the boys at Lowes messed up one. I had the blank cut by itself, although I don't see them having trouble cutting it all assembled.

Overall, its a great piece. Feels great with the small changes I made. I hate bulky keys in my pocket so this is a nice option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flip-...#ht_5748wt_939

Last edited by niZam; 05-03-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
iPhoneGuaco

Could you please post us a nice pic of your fob all prepped? The one on ebay only has three buttons (lacking the trunk button) does yours have all four? Also, there's no external key ring hole, does the recessed key ring slot make it akward on your keyring?

Guaco

Originally Posted by niZam
Just got done putting my key together from a-suntek. Decent build quality, not as good as OEM but not cheap by ebay standards.

I wrapped the transponder in paper to make a snug fit. I also glued 2 nickles in the remote to increase the weight. It felt too light in my hand without them. When I put it together I wound the spring two full turns to increase the pressure when the key flips out. Again, just another thing to make it feel more like a quality OEM piece.

Couple more notes, I offered the guy 17.50 for it, he came back with 19.49, not bad, it also comes with new buttons and an extra Nissan sticker. I also asked for an extra blank which he gladly sent, just in case the boys at Lowes messed up one. I had the blank cut by itself, although I don't see them having trouble cutting it all assembled.

Overall, its a great piece. Feels great with the small changes I made. I hate bulky keys in my pocket so this is a nice option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flip-...#ht_5748wt_939
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
niZam

The one in the link is a four button fob. Not sure why he has a picture with only three buttons on it. Send him an email and double check. I didn't take a picture of my fob apart. The lack of an external key ring hole doesn't bother me as I have all my keys on my other cars key chain. This isn't my DD. There is another fob that has a protruding spot for a key ring that might work better. There was a guy a few pages back that used a white zip tie to provide a spot to add a key ring to, seemed like a good idea.

I just noticed its for a 3 button now. Maybe he ran out of the 4's. Email him, thats all you can do.

Or get this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-4-Button-...ht_2016wt_1165

Last edited by niZam; 05-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Carlos8183

I need help. I'm such an idiot :[

as i opened the key to to get the key blank and my transponder chip everything just flew out. I cant put it back together can you guys help me. A picture would be great.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 AM
FilthyZ

I got my key fobs from a-suntek. Took 30-35 days to receive. Swapped out my Valet key transponder chip which was super easy. But now I can't get anyone to cut the key for me, even with the chip out. Lowes tried to cut it but the key wouldn't even fit into the slot to cut (the oem key, not the key fob). Called around and another shop said they couldn't cut it either, they didn't have the equipment. lol what in the world is going on. My buddy 2 hours away works for his grandpa's lock and key company and said he could do it. So i'm just hoping he doesn't mess this damn thing up. I have 2 more key fobs on order as well so I can get rid of the oem key fobs all together.

So far the a-suntek fob is great. I've prolly flip the key out hundreds and hundreds of times and it feels solid. I may have to open it up and wrap some paper around the transponder to get it to quick rattling and tape a couple nickles inside like the guy did to his to get it to feel a bit heavier. But all in all it's def a lot nicer than my ugly *** oem key and key fob.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
niZam

When I took the blank to Lowes the guys were confused. They assumed the key would be used to unlock the doors and thats it. I realized they thought that because the transponder chip was not with the blank. The machine at Lowes cut the blank just fine. Get someone who knows what they are doing and tell them not to worry about the transponder.

Its no different than cutting a house key, just find the right mold and cut.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
FilthyZ

I finally gave up with all the dumba** shops around here and drove to the Nissan Dealership. Come to find out the guy knows my family and cut my keys for free. Took 10 minutes and I was out of there.

Btw guys, I have an extra key fob from a-suntek I'll get rid of for $20 shipped. Let me know.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
ChrisR

this looks pretty nice but no trunk button

http://cgi.ebay.com/NISSAN-2-BUTTON-...item2308a8e2ff
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
slmdchvy05

I bought the 4 button one off ebay for around 20 bucks and went to my local nissan dealer and told them I ordered it off nissans website and they cut the key for me at no charge.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

lol nice
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM
slmdchvy05

This is the flip key that I ordered off ebay w/4 buttons everything fits perfect. the only thing I had to do is cut the chip out of the other key and used some sticky tack stuff that was on an old alarm wire that was laying around and placed the chip in the top right of the remote "opposite side of the silver push button" . I went down to nissan and told the parts guy that I ordered the key from nissan's web site and they cut my key for free. make sure you either have the key cut first or have a spare key to use.

Last edited by slmdchvy05; 12-08-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
350zdriftskank

Thanks for all the info, just did this today and worked great! Here is a link to the one I bought, looks just like the one above but got it shipped for around $15.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM
critic

i know im a little late to the party on this one but figured id still show my fob i just received from asuntek as well.

build quality is pretty decent.
added a few pennies for weight.
had a good place in DTLA cut the key in 2 minutes for about 5 bucks.
not a bad deal for 20 bucks..

Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you guys getting the key cut once it is installed in the case, or are you just taking the blank key itself to get cut?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM
slmdchvy05

I took the plank key case and all to have it cut, just like how it comes right out of the package when you get it. Tell the parts guy at nissan that you ordered it from their web site and they should cut it for you at no charge.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 AM
ehsan

i love my key..this is the first things i bought for the z when i got it a year ago
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
shystieone

critic: that looks NICEE... loving the engraving of the nissan logo on the front face.. hows the build after using it a while? any loose parts? I'm about to pick one up on ebay for $22 shipped...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
beinked

so sick! now I need to gather up my ***** and try to attempt this....
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Chuckdee

I'm gonna do this mod soon!

Quick Reply: How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key