Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Philips VisionPlus 50 results

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:27 AM
apsilon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philips VisionPlus 50 results

I finally got around to fitting the +50 bulbs and to be honest can't see any difference. Interestingly the OEM ones are Philips 65W while the VisionPlus are 55W so they're just as bright at lower wattage.

Guess us non HID people are stuck with average performing lights
Old 06-09-2003, 02:54 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. Saves me trying it
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 PM
apsilon

Did a little experiement the other day. Put one OEM globe and one +50 globe in and found an area without street lights and a nice single colour wall I could aim at.

It appears the +50s are brighter and very slighly whiter but it's marginal. IMO not worth the expense unless you have to replace a globe anyway.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
REDZED

Am in the process of trying 100W halogens lows and highs, found the EPDM module that has the lighting relays and fuses ( behind/beside the battery ) but am a bit concerned re overheating the lamp reflectors, and the wire diameter is also an issue.

Anyone tried this ??
Old 07-02-2003, 08:31 PM
apsilon

I considered it but have tbe same concerns as you.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
REDZED

Have you actually had the lights apart ? - mines still V new and I don't want to play until the 1000k dealer check.

That of course doesn't stop me from evil planning, I have a therocouple temperature measuring system and will see what they run at stock and then check with 100's

If your interested will let you know the results...

Am also looking at a zenon conversion from OE Bosch bits but the $$$ is a bit steep.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:10 PM
apsilon

Only so far as to change the bulb. They don't really come apart, they're sealed apart from a screw cap at the back where the bulbs are changed from.

I'd certainly be interested in any temp data you collect.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:26 PM
REDZED

Ok will build up courage and let you know how it happens - but after the 1K check.

There's a thread in "repair" from a US guy who is looking at building complete replacements using HID projectors for both beams. Seems to know what he's about as far as the manufacture, but the cost issues coud be significant......
Old 07-02-2003, 09:40 PM
apsilon

I imagine there'd also be beam pattern issues for us due to LHD vs RHD
Old 07-03-2003, 06:51 AM
ZEXC-33

Look guys i thought i'd go on and share my evil plan with u since ive just acquired a set of OEM Nissan HID headlights from a Japan wrecker......

Park ur Z in a suss place and have a willing friend (or fo) smash ur two front headlight and two rear headlights......for consistency that is. Then make ur insurance claim and tell ur friendly Nissan dealer to inform ur assessor that ur car was specially ordered with the HID headlights from Japan. Spare parts will then order the HIDs for u, oh and the rears.....for consistency remember, and the insurance company foots the bill. The price of HIDS and rear lights should cover ur excess

Whats even funnier, if ur not laughing already, is that my dad is an insurance broker, and given ur dealer will play along, it would actually work
Old 07-03-2003, 01:54 PM
REDZED

Some how the thought of trashing my new Z lights gives me the shivers.......

As to lighting patterns, your logic seems good, but i have a pair of Merc lights - HID low Halogen High and guess what - there are identical right and left as far as a I can see ( its hard to check the HID rear parabola ). Of course the beam adjustments are different ( and its a nicely engineered adjusting system ), so perhaps its not as impractical as it seems.

Will check Porsche headlamps lamps and see it they are asymetrical.

Will measure the HID base to see if a "simple" H7 to HID adapter is possible. As to ballasts - all the OEM units i have access to use CAN control and without the Nissan CAN codes and some serious ballast reprogramming its a tough ask. Aftermarket units don't have the problem of course but are pricey.

Was wondering wether fitting a small computer fan ( and there are some really compact units ) might stir the air up inside the headlight housing enough to control the temperature of high power halogens.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:03 PM
REDZED

Originally posted by apsilon
I imagine there'd also be beam pattern issues for us due to LHD vs RHD
Following on from the LHD/RHD beam pattern it turns out that whilst the outside of the projection lamps are the same its the rear PES reflector that forms the beam pattern. The appature is simply responsible for generating the optical cut off on low beam. In theory if the PES reflector was rotated by 180 degrees LHD should turn into RHD but that could be asking a bit too much on a real system.