Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Anyone here got a BSP Z ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u think my coilovers is going to do better than springs + sways?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:24 PM
roark

BSP Here too.

CAI, Plenum spacer, cats, exhaust, pulleys, flywheel, sways and springs.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:53 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I use to be BSP, which can be competitive in AX, but hurtfull in TT for older BSP cars...

I have now moved to SM2.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
jun14scr

i am prepping my car for bsp for the 2006 season. i plan to run it locally (triad, tarheel, CCR) and in some SEdiv (gotta give roark some competition) and some NEdiv events. it will also make a showing at the prosolo in DC and maybe FL.

from my interpretations of the rules, an aftermarket bbk will put you into SM2. however, the 350z track brembo brakes will not.

also, i was under the impression test pipes were not allowed in bsp. cat convertors can not be replaced unless the car is older than 10 yrs old (not sure on the number) orunless they have failed.

this is the mod list. not sure how much of it will be completed by the test and tune in feb.

17x9 enkei RPF-1s
275 kuhmo v710s.
350evo koni adjustables
springs -- unsure, something linear. maybe custom?
cusco camber arms (i personally thought these were not legal in SP, but as interpreted from scca, adjustable camber arms can be used)
350evo front and rear sway bars
JIC Ti single exit exhaust system and y-pipe.
upper intake manifold
JWT popcharger.

the c4 vettes might be a overdog in bsp, but i think with the right driver and the right bsp car, the 350 can be very competitive and outdrive the e36 m3s, especially if it can get down into the 3000lbs area. it seemed like the bs cars at nationals weighed in somewhere around 3100lbs.

also, if there was a wider 17" race tire for the 350z, this would also help tremendously.

fully prepped, i think a bsp350z can easily make 280whp/280wtrq.

i think hippe might also run bsp next season. not sure, but i remember him mentioning it. that car would be a great bsp car. especially with the custom *h**n shock absorbers and the _lbs exhaust system (yes.. single digit).

Last edited by jun14scr; 11-29-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 AM
mpowers

Originally Posted by jun14scr
also, i was under the impression test pipes were not allowed in bsp. cat convertors can not be replaced unless the car is older than 10 yrs old (not sure on the number) orunless they have failed.
Yes in BSP any emissions componet can be removed, a catalyst is a emissions componet. The rule you are refering too is for a stock class.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

The Official word:

14.10 Engine and Drive Train
A. Engines must retain standard type lubricating system, but may have any oil pan (Accusump-type systems allowed), oil pump and pickup, oil coolers, oil or fuel filters. Fuel filters must be of automotive type and serve no other purpose. A permitted oil cooler may be positioned in an opening in an allowed spoiler, provided no unauthorized modifications are made in order to perform the installation.
B. Heat shields may be added.
C. Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted. Alternate throttle linkage and connections to facilitate installation of allowed induction systems are permitted, but may serve no other purpose. As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, air-to-air heat exchangers (known as "intecoolers"), and radiators which are part of air-to-liquid charge coolers, must be cooled only by the atmosphere.

The use of chilled liquids, ice, dry ice, refrigeration systems, vaporized compressed gases, etc. is prohibited. If an induction system item is allowed to be removed and its original mounting bracket can be removed simply by unbolting it, the bracket may be removed as well. Turbochargers may not be added, changed or modified. Turbocharger and supercharger systems may only be updated/backdated with the accompanying engine unit. No changes are allowed to waste gates, pressure sensors or their location, and to other turbocharger or supercharger boost limiting systems. This allowance does not permit changes to blow-off (pop-off) valves. Devices known as "fuel cut defensers", and any modifications which alter or defeat the fuel cutoff when it is activated by boost level, are not permitted.
D. Air cleaner(s) may be changed or removed, velocity stacks may be added.
E. Emission control devices may be modified or removed. This permits the oil filler cap to be modified or substituted, but does not allow valve covers or cam covers to be altered to install a breather or for any other purpose.
F. Intake water injection systems are allowed.
G. Fuel lines and pumps are unrestricted except as specified herein as long as they do not pose a safety hazard. Fuel lines may be no larger than 1/2" i.d. and may only connect to the original fuel tank or allowed fuel cell. They may be no longer than necessary for reasonable and safe installation, and may serve no other purpose. A single fuel feed line may be used. A single fuel return line may be used, and a fitting for connecting it may be added at or near the top of the fuel tank. This does not authorize "cool-cans".
H. Exhaust manifolds and muffler systems are free, except that they must be quiet and terminate behind the driver. Exhaust heat shields may be removed. Rear- and mid-engined cars without exhaust headers/manifold systems may use any exhaust system that meets the requirements of 3.5. This permits the removal of "heater boxes" in order to install headers on such cars.
I. One bolt-on torque suppression device may be used. A torque suppression device attaches from the engine to the body, frame, or subframe in one location, and controls engine movement at that location along a single axis only. It may serve no other purpose.
Examples of permitted devices:
1. ) a chain
2. ) a rod with spherical bearings at each end.
Examples of devices not permitted:
3. ) one or more solid motor mounts
4. ) any link which confines movement along more than one axis
5. ) an engine mounting plate, or one or more plates rigidly bolted between the engine and the frame.
Holes may be drilled to mount a torque suppression device. The installation may not include the welding of any plate(s) to the motor mount(s) or bodywork (7/2002), nor may it include multiple non-parallel links.
This does not allow motor mount changes other than those which are update/backdates of factory components.
J. The engine fan and fan shroud (unless it serves another purpose, e.g. as an alternator/generator mount) may be removed, modified or replaced. Electrically driven fans are allowed.
K. On two-cycle engines, the ports must be of standard heights, size and configuration; crankcase volume and reed plates must not be altered.
L. Any metal clutch assembly, metal flywheel or metal torque converter that uses the standard attachment to the crankshaft may be used. Non-metallic friction surfaces (e.g. clutch disks) may be used. Dowel pins may be added. Minor repositioning of the clutch slave cylinder is allowed to accommodate the alternate clutch, but the unit may not be relocated and the repositioning may serve no other purpose. This allowance does not permit the substitution of slave cylinders or the use of non-original methods of clutch actuation (e.g. pull type vs. push type).
M. Any mechanical shift linkage may be used.
N. Limited slip differentials are permitted. This permits locked differentials, either by design, welding, or mechanical means. Differential cases, internal differential parts, and axle stubs may be machined as required for clearance and installation to the extent that material may only be removed, not added, and the exterior of the case may not be altered in any way. This machining may serve no other purpose.
O. Cylinders may be rebored to .0472 in. over standard bore and the appropriate standard oversize piston may be substituted. Cast or forged, non-stock pistons of the same dimensions and configuration as original equipment pistons may be used. Additionally the replacement pistons must be of the same weight or greater as the original equipment pistons. The .0472 in. limit is absolute, no additional tolerance is permitted to accommodate wear. This allowance does not permit alternative ring configurations. (3/2002)
P. Rotating and reciprocating parts may be balanced but not lightened.
Q. Intake and exhaust ports and manifold openings may be matched provided no change is made more than one inch from the port/manifold interface. Material may be removed to facilitate port matching, but no material may be added. (3/2002)
R. Any transmission oil cooler may be used.
S. The engine cylinder head(s) may be milled only to that amount specified in the manufacturer's workshop manual. If no amount is specified than a maximum of 0.010 in. may be milled.
T. Axle/halfshaft and driveshaft retention/location devices may be installed for safety reasons to control the motion of attached shafts upon the failure of a coupling or universal joint. They may serve no other purpose.
U. Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g., V-belt, serpentine) as standard may be used. This allowance applies to accessory pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys). It does not allow replacement, modification, or substitution of pulleys, cogs, gears, or belts which are part of cam, layshaft, or ignition drive or timing systems, etc. Supercharged cars are excluded from this allowance. This does not permit replacement of integral pulley-damper/balancer assemblies. Alternate pulley materials may be used. Idler pulleys may be used for belt routing in place of items which the rules specifically allow to be removed, such as smog pumps and air conditioning compressors. They may serve no other purpose. Supercharged cars may not change the effective diameter of any pulley which drives the supercharger.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Kirkster

all you BSPers able to get any camber out of the Z???

Not sure that I would want to go into BSP land with Lee Piccone and his monster M3...
Old 02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
jun14scr

staying in bs. i could have sworn i read somewhere that camber arms WERE legal. can anybody confirm??
Old 02-28-2006, 04:22 AM
mpowers

in BS camber adjustment arms/ bolts etc are illegal.

For BSP run a pair of camber arms to greatly improve the handling of the Z. Personally would not worry about any car but a vette.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 AM
del105
15 f125

I don't think there is a Z out there that is even close to being fully prepped for BSP. I think the car could protentially be competetive but it would probably cost 20k on top of the cost of the track Z.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:20 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by del105
I don't think there is a Z out there that is even close to being fully prepped for BSP. I think the car could protentially be competetive but it would probably cost 20k on top of the cost of the track Z.
Personally I think that can be said for just about any car in BSP...

The sad part about BSP is the S30 (240Z-280Z) cars are still in BSP because they won so much 20 years ago..

Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 AM
del105
15 f125

jun14scr other thinks I think would be important.

Independent throttle bodies (do they make these for the Z?)

engine management

18x11 ccw or some other wheels you can have custom offsets made. 315 kumho 710s, cut the fenders if you have to.

New clutch type LSD. (stock one is junk)

I don't know exactly how the suspension should be but I'm think somewhere around 900lb springs in the front and 1200lb in the back (since their inboard). But thats just a guess.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 AM
jun14scr

Originally Posted by mpowers
in BS camber adjustment arms/ bolts etc are illegal.

For BSP run a pair of camber arms to greatly improve the handling of the Z. Personally would not worry about any car but a vette.
that's what i meant. i thought camber arms WERE legal for bsp. sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
cwalker

BSP

350Evo Sways, CAI, Brembo's, custom exhaust.

Last edited by cwalker; 04-21-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

running stock shocks with those T2 springs?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
cwalker

Last edited by cwalker; 04-21-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:13 AM
jun14scr

how hard is it to get your hands on a set of DA konis? i know chrstoc has them.. but IIRC he had to order them from a nissan development department?! ?!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
first350

BSP

AEM CAI, Hotckis springs/sways (Med/Med), MD 3/8" plenum spacer, toyo RA-1 235/40/17's, OEM enthusiast brakes/pads (I haven't needed anything more than this), ...soon to have UR under-drive pulley set.

*I modded the car for fun ($$ is my main factor), and enjoy driving at HPDE and autoX's...I haven't had a chance to run with the toyo tires yet, but I was soooo much slower than the other BSP when I had OE tires!

What type of sway bar settings are ppl using for autoX? I have mine at Med/Med and it felt a little too tail happy. (But I guess this will change with new tires)

thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by Rosko
Don't mean to hijack... Just a quick yes or no question.

I was reading the SCCA handbook, and it looks like in some cases the Z could fall into SM2. Is this possible?
Yes - I run the SM2 class. Not a big deal, most of the people have Corvettes in my class that are mod, yet there are a few Mini's and MR2's. I can run faster than most, just need to get off street tires to win. I just ordered my trailer and wheels and tires for my next event in April. I let you know how much I kick eveyones a**!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
cwalker

Originally Posted by jun14scr
how hard is it to get your hands on a set of DA konis? i know chrstoc has them.. but IIRC he had to order them from a nissan development department?! ?!

These are the DA's I was looking at.

http://www.tcklineracing.com/nonbmw.htm

Quick Reply: Anyone here got a BSP Z ?