Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:45 PM
knight_white99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveh
Agreed, this is why I am not going.
You can always run street tires and run in the street class. Everyone has a set of street tires. Most racers have several sets of tires.

The problem with running in the unlimited class is that a "street" car has little chance to win since some of the cars are completely set up as time attack cars with full carbon fiber bodies and lexan windows, in addition to massive horsepower and high dollar suspensions.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Gary King

You won your class at the Silver State Classic, Awesome! How do you like the event? I've been wanting to do it.

Gary

Originally Posted by knight_white99
You can always run street tires and run in the street class. Everyone has a set of street tires. Most racers have several sets of tires.

The problem with running in the unlimited class is that a "street" car has little chance to win since some of the cars are completely set up as time attack cars with full carbon fiber bodies and lexan windows, in addition to massive horsepower and high dollar suspensions.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 AM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by Gary King
You won your class at the Silver State Classic, Awesome! How do you like the event? I've been wanting to do it.

Gary
Great event! If you have ever thought about doing it, you HAVE to try it at least once. Nothing else quite like it. But if you're like me, once won't be enough!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
daveh

Yes I have street tires. Unfortunately they are stock sizes and are different brands in the front and rear
Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Fishey

The don't let you use nitrous oxide and that is very homosexual. I guess I wouldn't allow for it eather if I knew that nitrous is the fastest way to do 1 lap. So untill I get $20,000 (for a motor) I will not be driving my car at redline events..
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by daveh
Yes I have street tires. Unfortunately they are stock sizes and are different brands in the front and rear
Yeah, that might be a problem! But a good driver like you can overcome such problems, right?

I have maxed out my street tire setup for this time attack event: 18x9 SSR GT-2's up front, with 275/35-18 Falken RT-615s; Rears are 18x10.5 SSR GT-2's, with 315/30-18 Falken RT-615s. Those are about as big a set of tires as I could put on the car without fender flares. And the SSRs are pretty light for being that big (19 lbs front, 20 lbs rear).

I need those big rears to put that twin tubo power to the ground!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
daveh

Yeah, that might be a problem! But a good driver like you can overcome such problems, right?
Yeah but it might require the old banana in the tailpipe mod.

Good luck out there. We'll be rooting for ya.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:51 AM
ALong

Thats the whole point, if you run street tires then you wont be competitive, if you run the race tires you use, they bump you to unlimited and you wont be competitive. Whats the point in running? If they would change the rules to allow any DOT R tire in the street class then they would start attracking alot more people like Dave and myself.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to just going out and diong it for fun? Who cares where you fininsh or if you are competitive. I just look at it as a regular track day with a twist. The competition just makes it more fun and you get to see and run with some incredible cars and drivers. Who knows, you may be better than you think.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Whatever happened to just going out and diong it for fun? Who cares where you fininsh or if you are competitive. I just look at it as a regular track day with a twist. The competition just makes it more fun and you get to see and run with some incredible cars and drivers. Who knows, you may be better than you think.
Normally I would just go for fun but I'm saving my hoosiers for my other series. I don't feel that my mismatched street tires are safe enough to run on track. Don't feel too bad for me for missing this one. I'm doing so many track days, I've got to turn some down. -I'm off to Laguna Seca tomorrow
Old 11-03-2006, 01:13 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by ALong
Thats the whole point, if you run street tires then you wont be competitive, if you run the race tires you use, they bump you to unlimited and you wont be competitive. Whats the point in running? If they would change the rules to allow any DOT R tire in the street class then they would start attracking alot more people like Dave and myself.

If you run on street tires, you are ONLY running against other cars on street tires. I think I can be competitive on street tires in the street tire class. (I think I have already proven that.) You just have to know how to use what grip that you have on street tires to their maximum potential. Of course I won't be as fast as guys on race tires - but I don't have to be!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:19 PM
J Ritt

I'm bummed about the tire situation as well. I have hoosiers or street tires. According to the rules, my car doesn't even qualify for the street class when it's on street tires...doh!

I wouldn't have a prayer in unlimited with a stock car.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
ALong

Thats the stupid thing about the rules. For Stock class, they allow mods to the engine, suspension, etc, far above whats allowed on my SCCA T2 racecar, but then they dont let you run DOTR tires that have low tread wear rating. They should just change the rule and make it easy for everybody, just allow any DOT approved tire, just like SCCA Auto-X, just like SCCA Touring and Showroom Stock
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
mistico

So let me get this straight. If I run a stock 350Z with Falken RT615's (200 thread wear) I can run the street class.
What about toyo Ra-1's? I can't find the thread wear specs on those...
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline puts on great time attacks! I was at both of their east coast events!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:03 AM
ALong

Originally Posted by mistico
So let me get this straight. If I run a stock 350Z with Falken RT615's (200 thread wear) I can run the street class.
What about toyo Ra-1's? I can't find the thread wear specs on those...
The RA1s are allowed, have to have a tread wear rating over 100, even though Toyo admits that they stamp 100 on the sidewall, but the real treadwear rating is lower than 100!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALong
The RA1s are allowed, have to have a tread wear rating over 100, even though Toyo admits that they stamp 100 on the sidewall, but the real treadwear rating is lower than 100!
The Nitto NT-01 (the street tuner line of Toyo) is also in the same category as the RA-1.

There is a lot of discretion in the hands of the tire companies to rate the treadwear on their tires. It is not an exact science and does not absolutely indicate that one tire is more "sticky" than another. So a "40" treadwear on a Yoko and a "50" on a Hoosier and a 100 on a Toyo..........is problematic as a measuring tool for class eligibility. Take a close look at treadwidth measurements as well. If you take a scale to the treads of different tires, notwithstanding their having equal ratings....you will frequently find that they are different and range as much as 8mm over or under the side wall stated treadwidth. Another one of the reasons why one cannot assure proper fitment just based on spec......it depends on the brand of tire too, especially when pushing the outer limits of what can tuck under the wheel well without rubbing inside or outside.

So, bottom line, what the rule seems to be doing is applying a standard that is to all of our observations of limited utility. Fine. Just pick a tire that has the rating that meets the rule. I for one do not believe that the use of Hoosier or Yoko or Kumho with a sub 100 rating makes sense in the rules applied, and using a Cup Sport or NT-01 or RA1 and being able to run "street" class is the way to go.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:52 PM
SuperKool

Hey all,

With all the discussion about tires and how they apply to the rules, I'd like to clarify a little about the rules and why they are written the way they are for the Street Class.

For each class we run in the Time Attack, we needed to have a general rule that separated each class. In Time Attack racing, the build of the car is fairly open. You do can do just about anything to your car to make it go fast. There are no sanctioned rules that limit your ability to go fast. This isn't wheel to wheel racing and the idea is to get the fastest lap you and your car are capable of. With that being the spirit of Time Attack racing, we still needed a class divider. With the build up of your car being wide open, your tire choose is the only real handicap that can be applied to lap time. Therefor, the tires that you can use in any given class is what defines the class. We all know that tread wear ratings are not all equal, however we can determine that all tires with a tread were rating of 140 or higher are defiantly street tires and not of the R-Comp category. The Street Class can use tires with a tread were rating of 140 or higher, and therefor you won't find any racing tires in that class. The sprit of the street car class is just that.... A street driven car that can compete in a TIME ATTACK race without having to be a full blown race car. This has worked out very well through out this last year of Time Attack events. What has been happening is that people who build up their car to run in the Time Attack Street Class are limited by the tire choose and although some drivers have incorporated huge amounts of power, they have not been able to utilized the power due to the restriction of tires in the street class. This of course prompts people to use a R-Comp tire and thus moves them into the Modified class were a Time Attack built car belongs. This last year of hosting the Redline: Time Attack has proven the rules to work well. As it shows that the street class has been dominated by cars with less power, or less built cars that compete well with better chassis and suspension tuning over raw power.

Now the Modified and Unlimited Class is another story altogether, but I hope you get more of a feeling for the street class and why the rules were written the way they are.

Last edited by SuperKool; 11-10-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM
mistico

So after reading some more, the Toyo RA-1 and the Nitto NT-01 are NOT legal for the street class because they have a thread wear rating of 100. Time attcak requeires 140 or above. The Falkne RT-615 is legal.

Did the thread wear rating get changed on time attack site or has it always been 140 or above?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
SuperKool

Yes, for street class, it's always been 140 or higher.

Anything lower then 140 gets moved to Modified class.

The Falken RT-615 is good for street class.

Quick Reply: Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3