Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 AM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
They run the Time Attack sessions completely differently. They let one car out at a time at 12 second intervals, thats a lot of ground to make up before you catch the guy and you only have 4 laps to do it in, one warm up, 3 timed. Then the 5th lap is a cool down which doesnt matter if you catch him or not. So for the most part there arent any problems, but there are occasions when somebody makes a mistake and gets caught up to. If you catch up to them there are no passing rules.
So if you catch him you can go two wide into a turn? Interesting.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 AM
sfarrah

Oh, and they also send you out according to lap time so the fastest guys go first and so forth. That way they dont put a car running 2:10 in front of a car running 1:51.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense then. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sfarrah
So if you catch him you can go two wide into a turn? Interesting.
Technically yes, but its supposed to be mature and safe. Everybody is usually cool about it and don't want to wreck their cars. They also give you two Time Attack sessions so people know they have more than one shot.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
knight_white99

Technically yes, but its supposed to be mature and safe. Everybody is usually cool about it and don't want to wreck their cars. They also give you two Time Attack sessions so people know they have more than one shot.
They even gave some of us a "second chance" when we got completely balked by a very slow car that ran off the track and created a cloud of dust that we couldn't see through.

Mike, I can't imagine your toe being off by 3"!!!

There was one time that my toe was off by 0.75" after I changed some suspension components and even that made the car drive funky. I can't even imagine how you drove it with 3" of toe (either in OR out)!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike B, that is a great time with alignment issues. We know the car has all the power in the world that it needs, and is light. Working through the suspension stuff is the art to going fast, and hopefully this will be the key that unlocks the potential to really taking it to the next level for you.

Think of how much easier it is going to be to drive the car compared to what you are used to.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Mike B, that is a great time with alignment issues. We know the car has all the power in the world that it needs, and is light. Working through the suspension stuff is the art to going fast, and hopefully this will be the key that unlocks the potential to really taking it to the next level for you.

Think of how much easier it is going to be to drive the car compared to what you are used to.
Yep.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Yep (Mike B's) 350NV's car is tweaked for sure, at least that answers alot of questions and relieves a bit of my stress that I accumulated this past (Time Attack) weekend.
Me and Mark are going to fix/replace some bent stuff, re-alighn and then I will sort out the car for him. There is no reason that car shouldn't be able to run 3-5 seconds faster that it did this weekend. It has become a mission of mine.
I also would like to publicaly thank Mike B. for letting me basically take over his car at the event this weekend, he saved my *** and helped me to be able to hold up my obligations to my sponsors when I had a major set back with one of my cars (my new Time Attack car) just a week before the event. Thanks, you are one of the coolest guys I know.

Although it was a costley weekend, looking back it could've been worse ( I guess) Two blown motors, and 1 stolen car in two weeks....that will teach me to only run FI on built motors, and only park where I can see my car at all times............ at least with my luck! Hahaha.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Yep (Mike B's) 350NV's car is tweaked for sure, at least that answers alot of questions and relieves a bit of my stress that I accumulated this past (Time Attack) weekend.
Me and Mark are going to fix/replace some bent stuff, re-alighn and then I will sort out the car for him. There is no reason that car shouldn't be able to run 3-5 seconds faster that it did this weekend. It has become a mission of mine.
I also would like to publicaly thank Mike B. for letting me basically take over his car at the event this weekend, he saved my *** and helped me to be able to hold up my obligations to my sponsors when I had a major set back with one of my cars (my new Time Attack car) just a week before the event. Thanks, you are one of the coolest guys I know.

Although it was a costley weekend, looking back it could've been worse ( I guess) Two blown motors, and 1 stolen car in two weeks....that will teach me to only run FI on built motors, and only park where I can see my car at all times............ at least with my luck! Hahaha.
No problem at all. I like it when you drive my car. For one, you are a way better driver, and secondly, you can "feel" a lot more than I can and acurately detect problems. You were spot on about the toe issue. Anytime you want, the car is all yours.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Eagle1

The lads at Redline got the second session up.

My time was 2:05.497 in rwd modified. Not bad for a four seater with air conditioning and a bose stereo with 6 cd player. Nothing to get excited about, but not a disgrace either. I think "Mr. Magoo Racing" will come back for another try.

After I find where I left my teeth.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Ed, that is a very respectable time considering how heavy your car is. I would guess that if your car weighed what mine did you would probably be in the 2:00 to 2:01 range which is a great time.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Eagle1

Kindness to an old man is such a noble trait. May blessings of good favor fall upon you like raindrops in the spring.

But alas there is little way to find out. I am not going to take out the back seat, the stowage for my walker, mini humidor with Cuban cigars, the ice chest-shaker-glasses-olives for the martini after each run (now that is what we call a "pit stop"), wipes for the one way reflective shades, suitcase with clean set of French cuff Egyptian cotton dress shirts, Italian silk ties, super 160 English wool slacks and Bruno Magli dress shoes. "Civilized daily driver" is something that I take very seriously as a theme when out on the track, and it carries through to more than just the equipment on the car. That is why when you ask me how many pounds of boost I am pushing on the car I keep asking you whether you are referring to the airconditioner or the turbo or the setting on my drink blender?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What config were they running at Buttonwillow?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
What config were they running at Buttonwillow?
#13 Clockwise
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Eagle1

have some decent video from the Saturday test and tune practice sessions. Nothing from Sunday as I took the camera out of the car. (So you don't get the OTE coming out of Sunset into the front straight.) Got just a bit too aggressive coming south out of the esses at WOT, from a bit over 130mph braked about two feet later, got the rear to yaw just right, nicked the apex point, and realized........"rats...this ain't gonna work" and did a four wheel drift to just off the surface track right. Had to lift and hold it steady and creep it back on in a typical Buttonwillow fifty foot tall cloud of dust. Not very ideal for a good lap time on that one. Fortunately the belly did not hit anything or rub on the track edge, so no damage, but came right in to check for grit in the rotors etc. A "stupid but lucky" outcome.

As for pictures, there was a track photographer there and he had some good shots he said, so he is going to send me a CD-Rom of both days, and I will post up a couple pics when it gets here.

Configuration #13 clockwise is a very good combination of some fast runs and technically challenging steering and braking. There are several serious spots for a mishap, so not overdriving your limits is important. From the start finish line the first really serious one is the "bus stop", which in our cars is in most cases a downshift to fourth, late apex and get down on it to settle the car type turn, followed by an upshift to fifth in the Riverside sweeper. The second is on corner exit at Riverside, where you have to watch out for the track exit point that you do not drift off to the left while having to be on the throttle hard. The third is going over "magic mountain", which I was doing in fourth. If you do not have the car stable and going straight, you are going to risk losing the back end when it gets light over the top. The fourth is on exit from the Carousel, where the diminishing radius can really snag your track out, and finally there is the Sunset turn onto the front straight, which is a lot tighter than it first appears and can surprise you. There are plenty of places to make mistakes, but those are among the more common "gotcha" spots that were busy collecting cars last weekend.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
betamotorsports

Just for reference, here are some comparable lap times for 13CW:

Formula Atlantic 01:40s (stupid fast)
T1 02:02s (Z06 Corvette)
ITS 2:03s (E36 BMW 325is)
Spec Racer Ford 02:04s (110hp, 1,700 lbs)
T2 02:05s (A 350Z with $5,000 worth of suspension work, a basically stock engine, and a great driver)
Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Well that makes me feel a lot better. Are those average times though? There was a T1 Z06 Vette there that Saturday running with us and he ran a 1:59.121
Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 AM
betamotorsports

That's from the event result sheet from a summer 2004 double regional that I raced at. Those times are the fastest laps in the race. Qualifying times are probably about a second faster overall. SCCA rarely runs the 13CW config and that was the only result sheet I had for that config. It was over 100 degrees and windy at Buttonwillow that weeked as I recall and I ran a SRF with my fastest RACE lap at 2:06:531.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:01 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Ok, yeah in a wheel to wheel race, lap times are slower.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Eagle1

Dale Schaub in a BMW M3 with suspension mods and a small wing etc. ran a 2:03.6 something in modified class. He does driving instruction for the bimmer clubs. He also owns a BMW shop. Very nice guy and great driving line with smooth yet crisp transitions (yes I was following him and trying to hang on). His yellow bimmer was immaculate and a sweet looking car. He has run in the Silver State Classic and won it several times in his class.

So that fits very nicely into the times John is recalling from his experiences.

John, just for the learning for us, why does the SCCA not prefer to run #13 CW very often?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Eagle1

Default Pictures from Buttonwillow

Here are a few pictures from the Redline Time Attack on December 2-3, 2006 at Buttonwillow.

The first picture is entering the Cotton Corners. Right front tire on the rumble strip.
The second picture is approaching Bus Stop, right front tire kissing the rumble strip before turn in.
The third picture (out of sequence, sorry about that) is unwinding the steering after apex to let inertia pull car to track out point on exit of Riverside sweeper.
The fourth picture is turn in point on Bus Stop.
The last picture is hitting apex, left wheels both on rumble strip, at Bus Stop.
Attached Thumbnails Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3-buttonwillow-december-2-2006-018.jpg   Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3-buttonwillow-december-2-2006-052.jpg   Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3-buttonwillow-december-2-2006-038.jpg   Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3-buttonwillow-december-2-2006-075.jpg   Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3-buttonwillow-december-2-2006-060.jpg  

Last edited by Eagle1; 12-08-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Redline Time Attack! @ Buttonwillow Dec 2 & 3