Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

SV at Willow Springs on January 27th and 28th, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007 | 11:00 AM
fluxen

Default SV at Willow Springs on January 27th and 28th, 2007

Base Price: $180 one day, $290 2 days

Instruction:mandatory for first-timers + $30 per day

Duration: 2 days / 4+ hours of track time per group!**

Track: The full track at Willow Springs Raceway (near Rosamond, CA)

Timing: There are currently transponders available for rental

Event Info:

Willow Springs is "The fastest track in the West", one of the few tracks where a fast street car can break 140mph. From the thrill of speeding through turn 8 at 120+mph to the "pucker factor" of getting the infamous turn 9 right, WSIR offers high-speed thrills found on few other tracks anywhere.

Want to see what the track is like? We have In-car video for your viewing
pleasure: http://www.wurthmotorsports.com/V_Ho...ideos_menu.asp

We will be running the full track in the clockwise direction (the only configuration normally run at Willow). Our typical schedule is three run groups, with five sessions per group, 25-30 minutes per session, though we do occasionally go to a four run group schedule when conditions require it.

Please note that some form of rollover protection is required at this track for convertibles. Cars equipped with stock hoops (S2000's, Z3's, etc.) are fine. Also note that track policy has changed and only instructors are allowed to take out passengers at any Willow Springs track from now on.

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:43 AM
daveh

Is anyone going to this? I'm thinking of making a trip down as I've never done Big Willow before.
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:22 PM
J Ritt

I can't...I'll be at Spring Mtn. in Nevada that weekend.
Old 01-16-2007 | 04:29 PM
shinkuu

wish i could but i'll be there in march for their horse thief event with my team.
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:12 PM
Tekwon-V

i will be there on saturday. i havent signed up but i will shortly.

i've posted this in the socal section but it's already on the 2nd page with zero replies lol.
Old 01-21-2007 | 08:59 PM
TimeAttkZ

Ill be there on Saturday with a buddy who has an m3. I cant wait !!!!
Old 01-25-2007 | 05:02 AM
Eagle1

I would love to come and run the big track with John and Aaron, but unfortunately I have meetings this week through Sunday in Phoenix. It is definitely a high hp car track, but even if you have a "momentum" car it is fun because you will be taking some turns at very near flat out speeds, a quite different experience. The course has a couple of spots that are beguilingly deceptive, and will jump up and bite you fast and hard. Not so much for the newbies with a decent sense of self preservation, but for the high intermediate or advanced driver that gets a bit big for his britches.

Turn 9 is of course the infamous one, because you come off the Turn 6-7 "kink" at WOT in to Turn 8, and depending on your car and skills etc you will be in there anywhere from 100 to 125mph. Some cars will be doing 135+ coming in to Turn 8 and will want to drop a few mph and settle the car before turn in, because once you are committed in Turn 8 a "lift throttle" response can put the rear end out in oversteer, and that is very much a bad thing there. That is a lot of speed, then you get a little breath of a short space, where you can lift a bit to plant the front down for your turn in set the car, and you are in to infamous Turn 9. The problem with 9 is part subtlety, part driver greed, and high speed.....a dangerous cocktail. The long front straight lies beyond, so maximizing exit speed is as important on this corner as on any track anywhere. But this is not maximizing from 65 or even 85 mph. Things come at you fast and corrections are very delicate and quick. A diminishing radius, and it is a real pincher at the end, will throw you way out to track right, and two wheels off at triple digit speeds is incredibly dangerous. Grab for too much speed, or apex just the slightest bit early, and you are in serious trouble. It has killed a few drivers, so be respectful and be smart about it. If your car understeers, and most front engine cars are set up that way, you can lift throttle to get more bite up front....and the additional benefit of slowing down, until you get grip and under control, but there is not lots of room when you are gobbling up track at triple digit speed, and if you just give a full lift you can find yourself trading push for loose and start the rear end sliding, and then you are really hosed. If your car oversteers, be judicious about how much throttle you are using. It takes a lot more throttle when you are already at that speed to get any additional weight transfer to the back to grip down...and if you are already WOT...well.....the only thing left is to have really quick hands to counter steer out of it, which means you need to catch it instantly, because for throttle steering you got nothing left to give. Lifting throttle just lightens the back even more so....you are hosed, and possibly rotating such that you will go off SIDEWAYS at very high speed, and that is rollover conditions. By and large the rest of the track is what you see is what you get, maybe a bit of tail happy sliding going into the Omega out of Turn 3. But watch 9 and be respectful.
Old 01-25-2007 | 08:00 AM
Navygolf13

Thanks Ed......your posts are truly a wonder to read. They are so educational. I am looking forward to Saturday, wish you could be there it is always a pleasure to drive with you.
Old 01-25-2007 | 08:46 AM
betamotorsports

WSIR is my favorite track.

A tip for Turn 9:

Once you turn in for the apex look up and keep your eyes on the starter stand. That will help you exit correctly. Don't look at the apex, don't look at the corner exit, and don't look at the end of the pit wall.

If you put two or four wheels off on exit, keep your foot in it and steer straight. Head down pit lane if you have to but, whatever you do, don't lift and don't try to steer back onto the track. You'll spin back across the track (bad) or spin into the end of the pit wall (real bad).

A tip for Turn 2:

The inside 2/3 of this turn is banked slightly and it will catch your car. You can enter the turn faster then you think if you enter the corner about 2/3 of the way from the inside and keep the car to the right 1/3 of the corner. Be sure to hit the late apex.

A tip for Turn 5 and 6:

Late apex Turn 5 and keep the car to the left a little longer then you think. In a higher horsepower RWD car, you need to straighten out Turn 6 because the back end will get loose and you'll need the extra track width. Short shift before Turn 6 - you don't want to be shifting to as you crest the hump. Going off on the outside of Turn 6 is bad because there's a concrete culvert out there that kills cars.

EDIT: Here's are some times for you to shoot for:

ITS Datsun 240Z - 1:32.134
Spec Racer Ford - 1:34.500
The Rusty Old Datsun - 1:27.899

Last edited by betamotorsports; 01-25-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2007 | 11:24 AM
daveh

Looks like I won't be able to attend this one. I'll definately be trying to hit up some of the socal tracks this season though.
Old 01-25-2007 | 06:13 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by Eagle1
I would love to come and run the big track with John and Aaron, but unfortunately I have meetings this week through Sunday in Phoenix. It is definitely a high hp car track, but even if you have a "momentum" car it is fun because you will be taking some turns at very near flat out speeds, a quite different experience. The course has a couple of spots that are beguilingly deceptive, and will jump up and bite you fast and hard. Not so much for the newbies with a decent sense of self preservation, but for the high intermediate or advanced driver that gets a bit big for his britches.

Turn 9 is of course the infamous one, because you come off the Turn 6-7 "kink" at WOT in to Turn 8, and depending on your car and skills etc you will be in there anywhere from 100 to 125mph..... But watch 9 and be respectful.
Wow, Ed. Once again, you have captured and shared the essence of Big Willow like no one else. No one else can compare to your prowess in describing the intricacies, nuances and "feel" of a race track!

If you're in PHX all weekend, give me a call if you are free for lunch, dinner, coffee or whatever! I'll PM you my cell number.