Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

BSP 350Z nationally competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BSP 350Z nationally competitive?

I just talked with my wife last night, and she's offered to goto Topeka Kansas in September...SCCA Nationals! I'll be in BSP and am just starting to figure out all the details...

I'm wondering how competitive is the 350Z in BSP IF it's got all the mods done (only looking at the car)?

*I'm fairly new to AutoX and have just been doing local events (this will be my first full season in www.wwscc.org). I'm mainly interested in going for the experience...to see what it's like, how good are the other drivers, and how I do. In the end, it'll be a fun week trip with my wife, our 2 dogs, and some autoXing!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be the first 350Z attempting to run in BSP in Nationals. That in itself is a worthy thing for the Z faithful.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
ULLLOSE

The car could trophy.... Wont win.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Z has a hard enough time being competitive in BS, so BSP could be a lot worse. It's been discussed here before and the general impression is that you'd have to put a lot into a 350 to be truly competitive.

Here's some recent threads discussing BSP setups, competition, etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/194339-mods-to-become-more-bsp-competative.html
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/231524-bsp-car-prep.html
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/153150-anyone-here-got-a-bsp-z.html
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/174643-bs-autocross-setup-faq.html
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/121087-help-me-set-up-my-car-for-bsp-please.html
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULLLOSE
What he said.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
first350

this is what I was looking for...I browsed through the '05 results and didn't see a single 350Z in BSP; it looks like a tough crowd to compete with, Evo's, S2000s, M3s, STIs...

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The Z has a hard enough time being competitive in BS, so BSP could be a lot worse. It's been discussed here before and the general impression is that you'd have to put a lot into a 350 to be truly competitive.

Here's some recent threads discussing BSP setups, competition, etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194339
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231524
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153150
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174643
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121087
Dave, thanks for all the links...I've looked through all of those threads before and have 90-95% of the mods done for BSP.

*the more I look at all the stuff I'll need for nationals, the more I'm thinking I should hold off for another year...bringing 2 sets of wheels (dry & wet tires), cost, time, etc... If I'm not trying to be competitive, maybe I should wait until I get more experience. I'll keep this option open for the next few months and see how things progress.

thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Fluid1

Exactly. Thing is, after BS, the car is classed horribly. No street tire class, completely uncompetative in BSP.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
ULLLOSE

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Exactly. Thing is, after BS, the car is classed horribly. No street tire class, completely uncompetative in BSP.
The RX-8 is worse off in BSP than the Z. I know a couple of guys that went down that road. A BSP RX-8 weighs 200lbs more than a BSP S2K and makes less power than a stock S2K, 200 rwhp/ 140 tq. Not that any of that matters as even the once might Corvette gets kicked around by the Evo.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very proud of you trying out for the nationals. Doesnt matter if you qualify or win. Give it your best.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 PM
PedalFaster

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It's been discussed here before and the general impression is that you'd have to put a lot into a 350 to be truly competitive.
You have to put a lot into any Street Prepared car to be truly competitive.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
You have to put a lot into any Street Prepared car to be truly competitive.
True. We all know how expensive and difficult it is to mod the Z in the first place. From what I hear, it's hard to keep up with the Vettes in BSP.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:35 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

When the SCCA Time Trial program held its first National event a few years ago, my Redline track model was clearly outclassed in BSP. The Time Trial program used Solo II rules on a local road race track. This was a track that I knew well and was relatively tight (with some sections coned down), so I hoped to pull one off. But a supercharged C5 came through to win easily, while I barely held off a determined C4 for second.

I can only imagine how much more lopsided this contest would be in Solo II competition. Good luck in your quest, but if you decide to go, moderate your expectations and enjoy the adventure!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
ULLLOSE

Originally Posted by dkmura
When the SCCA Time Trial program held its first National event a few years ago, my Redline track model was clearly outclassed in BSP. The Time Trial program used Solo II rules on a local road race track. This was a track that I knew well and was relatively tight (with some sections coned down), so I hoped to pull one off. But a supercharged C5 came through to win easily, while I barely held off a determined C4 for second.

I can only imagine how much more lopsided this contest would be in Solo II competition. Good luck in your quest, but if you decide to go, moderate your expectations and enjoy the adventure!
The C5 is in ASP and with FI goes to SM2.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by first350
*the more I look at all the stuff I'll need for nationals, the more I'm thinking I should hold off for another year...bringing 2 sets of wheels (dry & wet tires), cost, time, etc... If I'm not trying to be competitive, maybe I should wait until I get more experience. I'll keep this option open for the next few months and see how things progress.
If you can go, do so.

Just because you "won't be competitive" (compared to whom?) isn't a good reason. ULLLOSE is right -- the car is capable of trophying at Nationals, even against the Evos, STIs and Corvettes. If you can get a chance to drive at Nationals before you become "expected" to trophy, then you'll be in a better situation when ARE expected to trophy!

The Z may not be the most powerful car there, but even my stock prepared Z is quite nimble for a 3200-pound beast. With more suspension options open to you in BSP, it might make for a great David against the rest of the class' Goliaths.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
DmanG281

thanks!

Don't worry about being competitive your first time out. Just bring enough money to cover you for a night or two and baby dolls and you'll be fine.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:15 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I keep hearing rumers of a STU2 , STX2 class being formed in the near future. That would be cool.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 AM
first350

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
If you can go, do so.

Just because you "won't be competitive" (compared to whom?) isn't a good reason. ULLLOSE is right -- the car is capable of trophying at Nationals, even against the Evos, STIs and Corvettes. If you can get a chance to drive at Nationals before you become "expected" to trophy, then you'll be in a better situation when ARE expected to trophy!

The Z may not be the most powerful car there, but even my stock prepared Z is quite nimble for a 3200-pound beast. With more suspension options open to you in BSP, it might make for a great David against the rest of the class' Goliaths.

Originally Posted by DmanG281
Don't worry about being competitive your first time out. Just bring enough money to cover you for a night or two and baby dolls and you'll be fine.

thanks for your input guys...My wife and I have decided to keep this option on the table and to wait until I can get all the information (total cost, time involved, how many days off work we'll need to take)

**when ppl go, it sounds like you need to be prepared for the dry and rain...so do ppl actually carry 2 sets of wheels? Do Tire companies like Kuhmo, Hoosiers, and Hankoook go out there to sell/distribute tires?

thanks!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With Tom Berry driving a highly prepared EVO in BSP this year (and probably for the next couple years) everyone else will probably be fighting for second place. The 350Z can be competitive, but not likely a winner.

A legal, to the limit prepared Street Prepared car can usually:

1. Reduce weight by 10 to 15%.
2. Increase horsepower by 15 to 20%.
3. Increase tread width by 50mm on each tire.
4. Increase track width by 2 to 4".
5. Reduce CG by 1.5 to 3".

In the 350Zs case the weight is the biggest issue. It needs to be around 2,600 lbs to a winner in BSP but I can't see a legal way to get there. 2,800 lbs is about the best it can do in legal BSP trim.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 AM
DmanG281

**when ppl go, it sounds like you need to be prepared for the dry and rain...so do ppl actually carry 2 sets of wheels? Do Tire companies like Kuhmo, Hoosiers, and Hankoook go out there to sell/distribute tires?

thanks!

Yes and No. Not everybody brings 2 sets but I would say that it is common. Hoosier was the only tire company there I believe. Might want to see what Ulllose says about that. He knows a bit more about the goings on.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 AM
ULLLOSE

thanks!
Typically Kumho and Hoosier and sometimes a few small dealers are there for support and to sell tires. The only way to be sure you get tires on site is to pre-order, lots of times they have very little extra inventory on hand. I did hear that Bridgestone may also be there this year.

You can usually get a good idea of what you need to take with you by watching the weather forecast ahead of time, if I don't think I will need them I wont take rains. Not like I have real rain tires anyway, I just use my street tires. In BSP rain tires will have even less importance because no matter what tire you have on a Z an AWD car will crush you in the wet.

Another option that is becoming very popular is to find someone that you can share rain tires with, as they cost like $1000 and often go unused, so find a BS 350Z driver with extra stock wheels and you could share rains tires.

Quick Reply: BSP 350Z nationally competitive?