Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

For The HPDE Instructors Out There

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM
joeygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For The HPDE Instructors Out There

So I've been doing HPDE's for awhile, and always wondered what it takes to be an instructor. It seems like it would be interesting (scary too depending on your student I'm sure) and a good way to get track time.

So for those of you who are instructors yourself, or know enough about them, how does one go about being an instructor?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
tmak26b

ask the group and demonstrate what you can do as a driver
Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually it takes a racing license from NASA, SCCA, or one of the HPDE sanctioning bodies that issues licenses. You need to be "known" by the group you want to instruct with. You also need to be dependable, reliable, thoughtful, safe, have good communication skills, calm, patient, humble, and willing to help. One thing you don't need to be is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wxSq1-A1U
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
tmak26b

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Usually it takes a racing license from NASA, SCCA, or one of the HPDE sanctioning bodies that issues licenses. You need to be "known" by the group you want to instruct with. You also need to be dependable, reliable, thoughtful, safe, have good communication skills, calm, patient, humble, and willing to help. One thing you don't need to be is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wxSq1-A1U
The guy sounds like Mike Golic
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
MoodDude

On top of what Betamotorsports said, is that when you instruct, you must be willing to give up one of your driving sessions or two (since you may have to explain a concept on a sheet of paper to your student for them to understand while your session is going on), willing to not have time to work on your car, and be able to listen to your student.

My last students car caught on fire on track so I have also learned to expect anything.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nasa Mid-atlantic holds Instructor clinics about twice a year.

If you complete the clinic you get to instruct with them, and other HPDE groups usually honor the Nasa clinic. They require you to have 25-30 track days.

None of the groups I run with require instructors to have a comp license, but I'm sure it doesnt hurt.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
bigdaddy

MoodDude,

We are both instructing now!!!! Who'd a thunk it?

Sean
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to what the others have said, one thing I'll add is that you have to be in it because you like helping people learn; doing it for more track time is the wrong reason. Not only do you have to focus more on your students than yourself during an event when you have instructional/leadership responsibilities, but you'll often find yourself too exhausted from instructing to even be able to take your track time. Not to mention the fact that most organizations will not grant you an instructor's license (or will revoke an existing license) if they feel you're more in it for your own track time than for the sake of helping the students.

If you enjoy helping people learn new skills in other areas of your life, then you've probably got the right attitude for this.

That being said, it's amazing what being an instructor will do to help you learn about your own driving. Having to go through the process of understanding something well enough to explain it clearly will often help clarify your own understanding of a particular driving concept, and will thus help improve your own driving skillset.

Also, you have to know how to properly pace the presentation of material. This is something that usually just comes from experience. It can be tempting to throw everything you've ever learned about driving at a student, but there's usually no way that they'll be able to process all of that information. Sometimes, the greatest value that an instructor can provide is being able to help focus a student's learning efforts and track time, providing new insights and concepts as they think the student is ready for them, rather than expecting the student to drink from a firehose.

Good luck - I've found HPDE instructing to be one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had, and I suspect that you will, too.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Stack

My thoughts...
  • Some groups put more weight on race licenses and racing experience then others. For a DE setting, racers don't always make good instructors.
  • Do your research on which clubs you want to instruct with. There are HUGE differences on requirements, and in what's asked of instructors between all the various groups.
  • Also do research on the student requirements of the group. As an instructor, do you want to instruct in a convertible with no roll bar? Do you want to be flopping around in a passenger seat w/o the same safety gear as your student? Do you have confidence that the club has done due diligence to ensure the car is safe your you and the driver? etc,etc,etc
  • Don't assume that if one club lets you instruct, everyone else will too. Especially if you aren't a regular with that club. If you ARE a regular, a club is much more likely to go on their own observations over what you do with someone else.
  • Prepare yourself ahead of time... next DE you do, if you can't get in an instructor clinic, run with a group where you have instruction, and tell your instructor you are interested in becoming one. Most clubs put a LOT of weight on references from current instructors.

Instructing is a HUGE responsibility, and not one to be taken lightly. When you're in the passenger seat, believe it or not, it's up to YOU to keep that driver and his or her car safe, not the other way around. Can you take control of a driver who freezes up out there? Can you take control of a newbie who thinks since he's had a few runs up and down The Dragon and tears up the local indoor karting facility that he should have been placed in the advanced group?

Do you, in fact, know more than your student will? Will you be able to provide a benefit to him or her by riding with them?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

great thread, and great input.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by Stack

Do you, in fact, know more than your student will? Will you be able to provide a benefit to him or her by riding with them?

I ran into some of this at the last Cobra event I attended. I had an instructor that was a great guy, raced heavily with NASA and I assumed knew a lot. Well after the first session I wasn't overly satisfied at all with his "instructional". Infact he signed me off and was asking me questions about certain turns. I suppose that was b/c I had ran that track a few times and kinda knew the turn. However, I attended the event with the purpose of learning. I wanted some instruction, critiques, criticism on anything he/she could find. I still had a TON of fun running around the track, but I want to improve and he did not do that at all. The one and only single thing he crititqued me on the entire session was to go faster through one of the turns. thats it, nothing else.

Any instructors/pro's that want to ride with me please please please let me know. I want to better my driving for me and others on the track. I don't mind being self taught but bad habits is not something I want.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 AM
betamotorsports

As a student, always feel comfortable switching instructors. If, for whatever reason, you and the instructor in your car don't click, ask the event organizers to assign someone else. Its not a rap on the instructor or the student. Sometimes people have trouble communicating with each other and its no one's fault.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
betamotorsports

The one and only single thing he crititqued me on the entire session was to go faster through one of the turns. thats it, nothing else.
Here are some tips:

1. Relax your shoulders. Let them hang down and relax.
2. Keep your elbows down.
3. Look ahead, look far ahead.
4. Scan your gauges every time you cross the start finish line.
5. After the third lap tighten your shoulder harnesses on the front striaght.
6. Check your mirrors before you brake for the common passing corners.
7. Don't wait to see the apex or corner exit before increasing throttle. Both points are always there in the same place every lap. If you get the turn-in right, start squeezing the throttle down.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Here are some tips:

1. Relax your shoulders. Let them hang down and relax.
2. Keep your elbows down.
3. Look ahead, look far ahead.
4. Scan your gauges every time you cross the start finish line.
5. After the third lap tighten your shoulder harnesses on the front striaght.
6. Check your mirrors before you brake for the common passing corners.
7. Don't wait to see the apex or corner exit before increasing throttle. Both points are always there in the same place every lap. If you get the turn-in right, start squeezing the throttle down.

haven't even rode with ya and already number 1,2,7 i'm not sure that I am doing. i'm sitting here picturing turn after turn and I think I kinda hold the throttle still until the apex then squeeze. Good tips for next weekend!! Thank you!!!

EDIT: absolutely love the "autocross preperation" section on your website!! LOL!!

Last edited by Billhyco; 08-15-2007 at 09:09 AM.