Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

HPDE and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Blk03G35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geico all the way. Progressive is such a ripoff
Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usaa!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Z04

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
usaa, lol. i can garuntee its cheaper than anything else out there......you just have to be military to have it :-p lol

+1
Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

I assume you are asking who insures my car when I am racing?

Last edited by davidv; 07-30-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 PM
CH³NO²
Banned

My understanding is all auto insurers exclude covering damages which result from any "organized racing event or activity".

I believe this would include both 1st and 3rd party claims, meaning no colllision coverage and no liability coverage.

A few years back I heard a story of a guy who wrecked his Z at Summit Point Raceway and had the car towed out to the highway and jammed it up against a guardrail and then called the police!

What's a little INSURANCE FRAUD among friends......right?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
JZurita

Originally Posted by Fooshe
JZurita's response is exactly what I was expecting and it only took a couple posting to get it. You see, most people are uninformed and pass their opinion as fact. Or, their insurance company did not cover something, so they assume all companies don't. Well, you know what happens when you assume something...You make and *** out of u & me (***-u-me).

Now I am not ragging on JZurita, I am pointing out that this is common and I blame the insurance industry for not informing the public. That is the whole purpose of my research and publishing what I find.
Now, no offense to you or the purpose of this thread, but I think most people also have common sense. It's the insured's responsibility to ask the necessary questions before making a policy effective. It's also the insured's responsibility to read their policy booklet once it arrives at their home. Who actually thinks F1 race cars are insured by Geico or Progressive? Like I said before, there are companies out there that do it, but it's very expensive and not practical if your Z is a daily driver.

Mainstream companies insure cars for personal use (daily driving). If it's for your business, then it's classified as commercial. If it's an antique show car, then it's under antique/classic. If you want to track your car, then it's your responsibility to let the company know so that you are insured correctly.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
JZurita

^ And by the way, I am the insurance industry
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Axelerate

I have Usaa and I track my daily driver.

I am well aware that I am not covered when I'm on track. The track insurance I have seen has a deposit that costs more than my car is worth.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

USAA, I auto-x and will be tracking the car next year.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USAA. I assume that if I roll it up into a ball that I am NOT covered. But if it would help I could call them and ask about how it works and how they price it, and what is the deal with aftermarket parts coverages. I will give them a ring.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
usaa, lol. i can garuntee its cheaper than anything else out there......you just have to be military to have it :-p lol
"Active Military", they don't give respect to the "Retired Military of 20 years+"
So I use my second choice: "State Farm". Pretty good too!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
"Active Military", they don't give respect to the "Retired Military of 20 years+"
So I use my second choice: "State Farm". Pretty good too!
Um, no if you served in the military you are elidgable and so are your children (but not your grandchildren)

I did not serve but both of my parents did and I have a completely separate account with them.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davids
Um, no if you served in the military you are elidgable and so are your children (but not your grandchildren)

I did not serve but both of my parents did and I have a completely separate account with them.
I served 22 years and they told me, only if I signed up while still active, that once I retired, I couldn't. PM a tel# and I'll call to see again. But that is the only reason I don't have them. My younger brother served 21 1/2 years and was told the same. He also took State Farm as a second choice. We both retired approx 1 year apart and both got the same story from USAA. This was a few year back (10+), but will gladly give it another try.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

State Farm.

FYI to everybody else - there is virtually no insurance companies that will cover HPDE or "non-racing" track events. State Farm's latest policy includes a section that excludes coverage on any surface used for racing. IOW if you're driving on a track, even at 20 mph (touring laps) and get in an accident - you have no coverage.

Check out this thread...
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...insurance.html
Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
350Zimo

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
State Farm.

FYI to everybody else - there is virtually no insurance companies that will cover HPDE or "non-racing" track events. State Farm's latest policy includes a section that excludes coverage on any surface used for racing. IOW if you're driving on a track, even at 20 mph (touring laps) and get in an accident - you have no coverage.

Check out this thread...
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...insurance.html
so, is there an insurance company that covers everything??
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No. That and other threads on the subject pretty much confirm the trend among insurers to exclude these types of events. Even the specialty companies that were providing insurance are getting out of the business or their rates are so high it not worth the coverage.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
z-u-later

USAA here. Have been with them for over 20 years but have not really inquired about track coverage. IIRC, as long as they're not "timed' events, insurance companies should cover it. HPDEs will fall into this category. Autocross are timed events but the likelihood of you wiping out is very low. But there was one case last year where a Porsche flowed into several parked cars at the end of an autocross cross (badly designed course).

FWIW, if you have been racing your Z and your name is listed online as a participant in autocross & HPDE events, your name will likely show up if an insurance company investigates and "Googles" your name. Trust me, I've personally Googled my name and it is obvious that I've been participating in track events. The bottom line -- if you can't afford to damage or lose your car, don't play.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Specv_USMC

Im with state farm, I have full coverage. I pay a good bit and I dont think they know that my car is ever at the track... never thought id ask. I do know that with my policy from state farm, IF i were to total the car, I would be able to take any property that wasnt OEM. And if i was allowed to do so, if i had receipts, I would be given the purchase price for those products.

mike
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

yeah i definitely wouldnt mention it to my insurance if i did that, the coverage covers the car, everywhere, and as long as the crash report (which there wont be one of if you dont hit someone else) doesnt say you were 'engaged in a speed contest' then youre good
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by davids

Exactly. Love USAA insurance. I have my house & cars with them. My two old Z cars are with Hagerty Insurance.

Quick Reply: HPDE and insurance