Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

HPDE and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HPDE and insurance

A couple years ago, before my first HPDE, I stopped by my insurance agent's office who is also a family friend. The reason for my visit was to find out what is State Farm's official position on coverage at an event like this. Needless to say she had no idea, in fact she didn't know what an HPDE was.

Our first call went to a district manager with the same results - "I don't know". Ultimately we wound up talking to one of the corporate level underwriters (if I recall correctly). Repeatedly he wanted to know if the event was timed, was it racing, were there prizes, rankings, etc. Ultimately, he could see no reason that participation in an HPDE could/would be excluded from coverage.

Fast forward to 2008 and I get my annual renewal notice for the Z as well as one for the Mazda 3 I just bought. Both policies included a 8 page booklet covered with "IMPORTANT NOTICE regarding Your Revised State Farm Car Policy". I start reading through it and run across a section that if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was written by the underwriter we talked to two years ago and directed specifically at me. Several sections of the booklet include the following exclusion:

There is no coverage while a vehicle is:

a. off public roads and being prepared for, used in practice for, or operated in any racing, speed, hill-climbing, jumping, or other similar contest; or

b. on a track designed primarly for racing or high-speed driving. This does not apply if the vehicle is being used in conjunction with an activity other than racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving.

I guess the Z and I will be looking for a supplemental policy of some sort that covers HPDE's and track days.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Billhyco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i talked with Geico about this as well. In a nut shell they said, if your on a race track of any type with your car, you will not be covered.

if you come up with some decent pricing in supplemental coverage, i would be very interested. thank!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
TheProfessional

I was a 5 yr State Farm policy holder in 2006 when I called for a quote on my Z before I bought it. They quoted me a $26mo increase.

Fast forward 30 days AFTER I bought the Z, I get a bill from State Farm for $978. An "adjustment" on my current policy until term 4 months forward... so $245mo increase in reality.

I went to the agent and all he could say was "well when you called for the quote, you didn't tell us it was a 2 door sports car, there is a surcharge for that"...... I told them the make/model... what the **** else did they need!!!!

They would not honor any quote, they would not work with me on the rate, and they CERTAINLY WOULD NOT APOLOGIZE! I was out $200+ more a month than I budgeted when i bought the car! And I could not take it back!

I was so furious I canceled the policy and would not leave until they cut me a check out of that office that day! I called 1 broker and he tripled my coverage and my house for $150mo less than what I was paying previously....

Er maybe it was Farm Bureau ??

Last edited by TheProfessional; 03-26-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
nicolaycastro

Please post whenever you find where to buy the supplement insurance and the price. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I've been searching through some old threads (yes, Search does work here if you know how to use it). Unfortunately, more and more insurance companies are no longer covering HPDE type events. It even looks like some of the supplemental providers (American Collectors for example) are no longer offering it either.

The one that looked promising, LaurelDE.com, doesn't seem to have a working website anymore.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple or even a year ago, you might of been covered, but as of right now, I doubt any one will cover HPDE's.

There is a few companies that specialize in "race car" insurance, but the deductible cost more than a new 350z.

Basically, you are responsible and with responsible driving and good instruction, you are still more safe at the track than driving to it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 AM
nicolaycastro

Yep, I've goten the same results searching in this forum. A lot of sicussions on insurers who no longer cover, and no much discussion on supplemental insurance companies.

I've also tried searching though google but end up giving up...

So if you have any luck let me know.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Morris

Okay, this winter I spent a significant amount of time researching insurance coverage while participating in HPDEs.

I have no interest in debating whether your regular policy covers HPDE events are not. I will tell you their are alot of opinions out there. My advice is to get a current copy of your policy, read it, and discuss it with your agent. There are differences between insurance companies and state laws.

I talked to 4 or 5 people who said they sold "track" insurance and corresponded with a few others by email. I found two people I thought were very knowlegeable and had programs to seriously consider. I am sure their are others, but here are the two I liked.

1) WSIB Motorsports Insurance - Jean Dewitt - 866-904-9742 x 2507

My quote for an annual policy covering 10 HPDE events was 3% of the difference between the insured value of the car and deductible (called "excess") plus taxes and fees (these vary by state).

This quote was for a stock (meaning no power related modifications) and no timed events. Power mods changes the rate. They also offered to add time trails for a very small additional premium. Also subject to a min. premium of $1,000.

HPDEs had to be conducted by approved groups. Some groups are pre-approved, and they will work to approve additional groups you are interested in running with.

2) Laurel DE managment, Inc. - David Empringham - 866-518-1110

I don't have the details of the quote handy, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 4% of the difference between the insured value of the car and the deductible. Again, plus state taxes and fees. This was for a 1-year policy covering up to 30 HDPEs.

Another point of interest. One of the conditions in my quote sheet read, "If at the time of the loss or damage there shall be in existence any other Insurance coverng the same property, the Underwriters hereon shall pay only their proporationate share after deduction of the excess." So, it is important to determine whether your regualr insurance coverage applies.

Prices and program coverage may have changed since this winter. I posted my information just to give you an idea of the cost structure and the many varibales. If you intetested in HBPE insurance, I suggest calling both of the people I mentioned.

Good luck....
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I may have to try called Laurel DE as their website isn't working anymore. The other one seems expensive ($1K min premium) plus the restrictions of "approved groups" make it less attractive. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Morris

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I may have to try called Laurel DE as their website isn't working anymore. The other one seems expensive ($1K min premium) plus the restrictions of "approved groups" make it less attractive. Thanks for the info.
I would not let the "approved groups" bother you too much, as they were willing to review any program I told them I was interested in.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
nicolaycastro

Great info thanks for sharing.

Dave could you keep us updated if you get any of those. I am currently not active in HPDE events, but I hope to start gaing again by the end of this year.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
gocart

Also try Snellings Walters. I've been with them for the past year.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
nicolaycastro

Yep I was just browsing though google and found this in a bimmer forum:

"Chris Maume at Snellings Walters Motorsports Insurance

is offering DE insurance on any car for 3% of the cars value. So your premium is 3% + tax.... with a $1,000 deductable."
Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no coverage while a vehicle is:

on a track designed primarily for high-speed driving.

This does not apply if the vehicle is being used in conjunction with an activity other than high speed driving

Leave it up to an insurance company to write a statement that includes a double negative. I had to read it 3 times. I assume that it means “not covered.”
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM
redman333

I had Usaa insurance which is a military insurance and its the same story with them. They used to cover all events, but they also decided to change their policy. They also put a cap on what modifications they would cover for my car so I dropped them and am still looking for a good company for both. I'm subscribing to get more info. If I find anything out in my searching I'll be sure to share.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
fmx10

Saved these links from some of the threads a while back but never really checked them out ..

http://www.prosure.net/
http://www.kandkinsurance.com/
Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OK,
We have a local Insurance guy that speciallizes in track day and HPDE events. Let me see if he will post what kind of coverages he has available.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Fooshe

Default So who are you insured with?

Hello all!

As a driving instructor, I am always introduced to people who track their street cars. And because my full time job is in the insurance field, I am always asked about coverage on the track. Soooooo, I have decided to do doing some research for an article. The article is directed at Z owners (by it will apply to many others) who track their daily drivers, or at least their non-dedicated race cars, and I am trying to get a feel for market share.

I have approached so carriers for their information on this topic, but I want to cover as many as possible. So please respond if you take your weekend fun car or daily driver to the track. I only need the name of the Insurance Company that issued the policy, not who your agent or representative is.

Thanks for your help....it will only benefit everyone in the long run.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
JZurita

Non-specialty insurance companies do not provide coverage when racing.

So most Z owners that track their car are pretty much driving at their own risk.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Nastyboy

I've been w/State Farm for many moons now.

But like the person above stated, I thought we were "on our own" if we tracked the cars? In other words my insurance wouldn't cover any damage caused at a track as it would caused in the streets?

Quick Reply: HPDE and insurance