Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Questions About Prepping Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions About Prepping Car

My car has Brembo's and I have 36,000 mi on the brakes. I am going to Sebring on the 13th and was wondering how I should prep the car and what supplies I should bring. I will be driving in the novice class.

I will be changing the brake fluid. Any recomendations on what I should replace it with?

Should I change the pads? Not much meat left on the pads. The rotors look fine. Any recomendations on new pads for street/track use?

I got aligned and have R compound tires on.

Do I need car numbers for Chin?

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-05-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:47 AM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read a few threads on this forum. This topic has been covered extensively. There is a track pads thread at the top of the page. Sounds like you are on the right track judging by the questions you are asking. Some good pads and high temp fluid are all you really need to get started, along with a Snell SA2005 or better helmet. I use the cheap Valvoline synthetic fluid, but Motul is pretty popular.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 AM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default track prep...

Here is what I'd recommend.

If you are a novice...don't run R-compound tires. I would stay with street tires and learn how to drive first. R-compounds can mask a ton of poor driving technique. I think you'll become a better driver faster using street tires.
I use Motul RBF 600. Seems to be good stuff. Never had an issue with my stoptechs.
New pads for sure! Lots to pick from. A search will give you options.
Air pressure gage will be critical to keep tire pressures in the right range...
Make sure you have shoes that help you feel the pedals for precise control.
Whether or not you need to have your own car numbers depends upon the club you run with. Some have magnetic numbers they assign. Other clubs you have to bring your own.
I would also take a look at your power steering fluid. On the Z, it takes a beating on the track.
I also insure I'm running on new oil when I hit the track.
Good luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 AM
kwadell

Default another suggestion....

Here's another suggestion...make sure you print out the track map and study it. I would also go to YOUTUBE and look for in-car videos at the track. Watch these up close and you can actually learn a lot about the track and lines just by watching the videos prior to running there. Even for tracks I've been on 20+ times I still pull up the videos prior to the events and watch them in detail.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Sean

Sebring might be on a video game as well.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 PM
JETPILOT

All great suggestions! Thanks!

JET
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

If you insist on running R-comps, I would highly recommend getting track pads. The R-Comps will grip hard when you are braking, leading to overheating brakes, and catastrophic brake fade, which is a BAD thing...

Definitely get some dedicated track pads, and think about using regular street tires. I switched to R-Comps too early in my track driving career, and I am regretting it now.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
JETPILOT

I need R compounds. My car has 565 whp. So street tires are not really an option. I was thinking of running Endless CCX pads.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-06-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Well, I'm not 565 rwhp, I'm only 365 rwhp, but still, as others have said, R-Comps do hide a lot of driver error. Either way, you'll have fun!

I've heard good things about Endless CCX, but have not used them. Give David Zeckhausen of www.zeckhausen.com a call, and he will give you great advice!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
shinkuu

ATE200 or SuperBlue brake fluid and Raybestos ST-41 brake pads in the front and maybe some ST-43 in the rear.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 AM
JETPILOT

I need a pad that I can drive on the street as well. That eliminates the 41/43. I also just bought MOTUL 660.

JET
Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Do what I do and swich out pads at the track. Takes about 15 minutes once you get it down to a science. Otherwise, you will get a dual use pad that isn't very good at either the street or track.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:34 AM
z-u-later

There are too many instances where we get wrapped around the gadgetry, tires & brakes in preparing for a track event. Yes, they are legitimate areas to consider but a couple of items that are just important are suspension and the "driver" preparation.

You did not indicate what type of suspension setup you have i.e. springs, struts, sway bars, etc. Im not sure if you've had time to previously tune your suspension but this will be a good area to look at and will make a considerable difference in your car's handling capabilities if tweaked just right.

The most important preparation will be yourself. Since I don't know anything about your background, taking on a few reading materials does not hurt, whether you are a novice or an advanced/intermediate driver. There are lots of helpful materials available online but one of the best ones I've found is listed below. Although it is focused on autocross, the preparation secrets are just as applicable to a road course:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

Hope the information I provided helps, and good luck! Keep us posted on your preparations, and the results.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
My car has Brembo's and I have 36,000 mi on the brakes. I am going to Sebring on the 13th and was wondering how I should prep the car and what supplies I should bring. I will be driving in the novice class.

I will be changing the brake fluid. Any recomendations on what I should replace it with?

Should I change the pads? Not much meat left on the pads. The rotors look fine. Any recomendations on new pads for street/track use?

I got aligned and have R compound tires on.

Do I need car numbers for Chin?

JET
As mentioned in this thread I'd say:

ATE Super Blue. Order a set of new pads and rotors and swap in sets if you can. Have you ever done a track event? I did my first event in my newly acquired Z last month and found the OEM pads and rotors were fine for two days of lapping at Summit Point. I have Carbotech pads and Centric rotors sitting at home that I'll swap on before VIR next month.

R Compound tires are when you aren't running in Green.

I also flushed my diff and trans fluid with BG Products. I'll likely change the fluids out again in June.

Things you might not know to bring - painters tape, good tire gauge.

In between sessions when you're parking the car back in the paddock don't use your e-brake and try to use your brakes as little as possible. Park on flat ground and put the car in gear.

Leave the traction control on (if you have it).

I've done a wide range of things from karting to autox in an E30 M3 and found a track day in the Z to be the most fun yet. I really like the car. A healthy amount of power and by the end of the first day I was getting the pass-by from a lot of cars.

Be safe - have fun. It's not a race!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by z-u-later
There are too many instances where we get wrapped around the gadgetry, tires & brakes in preparing for a track event. Yes, they are legitimate areas to consider but a couple of items that are just important are suspension and the "driver" preparation.
Yes, but...I view brakes as a safety issue rather than a performance issue. Sure, non-fading brakes will help you get slightly better lap times, but more importantly, they will not catastrophically fail, leading to serious problems. Everything else can (and should) wait until the driver is sorted out, but I think brakes are a safety item that should be upgraded first.

Of course, thats just my opinion, and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on track issues.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Screamin350Z04

Sebring is brutal on brakes. I would have spare pads,rotors and good fluid. Motul or AP
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
laze1

Default Guaranteed Lower Lap times for $20

Yes, it is true, you WILL go much faster on track days for $20...no shiat! No..it isn't an Ebay Nitros kit, sway bars made from coat hangers, turbo-impeller air filter...wrong, wrong, wrong!

Just purchase this book:

"Speed Secrets - Professional Race Driving Techniques" by Ross Bentley ISBN 0 -7603 - 0518 - 8

Then READ it 3 times before arriving at the track, and you will be able to amaze your friends and significant others with your driving skills and "racing buzz-world" prowess!

Seriously, if you have never tracked before, or never had proper instruction, or still don't feel comfortable at very high speeds, read this book. It will help you understand vehicle dynamics and balance...and that is the #1 key to speed and consistency. (i.e., go fast AND stay on the track)