Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Changing Brembo Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the calipers.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:17 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...or, go to the nearest Hobby Shop, & have the pros' there lend you a hand &
THEIR TOOLS, at a reasonable price per hr. That way, you won't have to $pend your savings on any of those expensive tools!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n1cK!
i guess the question is why your brakes always felt so soft. i don't think there is a tolerance for what feels soft and what doesn't. if it's not high, it's not right.

1200deg is actually quite significant, especially on stock stuff. the (relatively) small diameter of the stock rotor just can't dissipate heat as effectively. however, just because you are hitting 1200deg doesn't necessarily mean you will "wear" down the rotor faster. the heat cycling however will change the ductility of the rotor itself, which will affect the wear. that's why we eat through rotors like cookies (i like cookies).

i do a quick bleed after a couple of track events, but not a full fluid change-out (normally only bi-annual). now when you say that the fluid will degrade behind the piston, and you won't be able to see it unless you push back the piston and bleed, how will that fluid get all the way up to the actuator (see post 21 and 23)?

i'm not trying to be an @$$, but i really am curious as to what effect this "wasted" fluid behind the piston will have on the system as a whole? is there actual particulate matter that could cause scarring of the master cylinder?

to be quite honest, after all my track days, my pedal only feels soft because of knockback.
If you track your car often, its a good idea to FLUSH your brake fluid with new fluid every few events. As you keep the same fluid in your system, the 'wet' boiling point will become much lower. An extreme example:

you can track 'normal' off the shelf DOT-3 fluid and get away with some track abuse. but if that fluid has been in your car for 3 years, and then you decided to track your car. The already low 400* wet boiling point could get as low as 150* and boil and turn your pedal into mush after one lap. The higher grade fluid you use, the higher the wet boiling point, but you are still losing performance and fade resistance to an extent by having the same fluid in your car for long periods of time and especially after consecutive track days.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

i agree that you have to change your fluid more often than those who don't go to the track often. that's why i said bi-annually or annually depending on how many events you go to (i'm hitting maybe 10). but a flush before every event? hell, i don't change my diff fluid/tranny fluid/engine oil/coolant/PS fluid before every event.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't do an entire system flush before every even, but I do bleed enough out to get the color right at the calipers. It's amazing how fast it can change from a full 2 day event.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I don't do an entire system flush before every even, but I do bleed enough out to get the color right at the calipers. It's amazing how fast it can change from a full 2 day event.
There y'a go!