Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

G35 roll cage build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up G35 roll cage build

not to steal anyone's thunder...but i finally got my car back from the shop and snapped off some pics. i just installed the fire system and am putting in roll bar padding (just a couple of pieces left). i am planning on racing with the NASA Performance Touring group (PTC).

i am happy with the cage overall...i think the welds came out really well and the shop owner really took his time with it (3 months, but there were some major delays). the paint shop could've done a little better. there were parts that weren't prepped correctly, some rough spots (especially by the roof line), and some evidence of over spray in some areas.

for those with a fire suppression system, how did you guys route the lines and mount the nozzles? i'm using three in the cabin will use three in the engine bay. currently, my Dekabon lines are attached to the cage with zip ties, as are the nozzles.

also, i'm currently trying to decide where i should mount the master switch and the second fire suppression activation handle. my current ideas are to drill holes in the trunk and to mount them on the hood cowl (near the wipers).

anyway, enjoy the pics!

Last edited by n1cK!; 09-14-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the cleanest cage setups on here, nice job
Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by D350Z10
one of the cleanest cage setups on here, nice job
thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa!

Damn good job Nick!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
FabZ

Wow, nice job, let's see some exterior pictures!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by FabZ
Wow, nice job, let's see some exterior pictures!
sure, why not

Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 AM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...sick setup man
Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect... And spotlessly clean. Nice bead on the welds too!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
mojojojo

Hi Nick,
You might want to mount your fire bottle on the floor (get the weight low) and do you really want that system going off in your face? On the race cars we generally put the nozzle on the lower dash cross bar facing your jewels and call it good. Nice looking cage!
Joe
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
racerbob4

Joe in Portland is right. We mounted our bottle in the trunk and its larger than yours. We have one outlet in the motor area and one near the drivers and very close to the shifter. When you actuate the system with all those nozzels your bottle will empty very quickly and possibly too fast to put the fire out. If you have a fire it will probably come from the engine bay due to broken fuel lines. We had a huge fire in our Camaro at VIR with a speed of about 135 mph and it melted all the plastic, rubber and came thru the firewall and scorched the drivers fire suit at the knee.

We run the lines from the trunk along the driveshaft tunnel into the cabin and then into the middle of the motor area. I would consider only 2 nozzels so you get a longer duration of extinguisher chemical.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
sfarrah

Congrats. Cage looks great, very clean install. I'll have to get some pics of the nozzles in my car.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
mojojojo

Bob you're everywhere! looming in the shadows. Thanks for the extra input on the placement. I shouldn't have given the impression that the driver nozzle is the only one we install. See you in Topeka next month. " We're going hunting wabbits" ( solstices)
Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by mojojojo
Hi Nick,
You might want to mount your fire bottle on the floor (get the weight low) and do you really want that system going off in your face? On the race cars we generally put the nozzle on the lower dash cross bar facing your jewels and call it good. Nice looking cage!
Joe
joe, the nozzles aren't pointing at my face they are pointed toward the dash, toward the opposite side of the vehicle (like a criss-cross). i've got another one pointed at my "jewels" and will install three more in the engine bay.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by racerbob4
Joe in Portland is right. We mounted our bottle in the trunk and its larger than yours. We have one outlet in the motor area and one near the drivers and very close to the shifter. When you actuate the system with all those nozzels your bottle will empty very quickly and possibly too fast to put the fire out. If you have a fire it will probably come from the engine bay due to broken fuel lines. We had a huge fire in our Camaro at VIR with a speed of about 135 mph and it melted all the plastic, rubber and came thru the firewall and scorched the drivers fire suit at the knee.

We run the lines from the trunk along the driveshaft tunnel into the cabin and then into the middle of the motor area. I would consider only 2 nozzels so you get a longer duration of extinguisher chemical.
i didn't know that the more nozzles you had, the quicker it would discharge. i figured it would be slower since the pressure in the bottle will decrease slowly over a larger "area" (more nozzles) the system came with six so i figured you had to use all six to meet the intent of the specs of the bottle.

i appreciate your insight though and it is something i definitely have to look into. i may just end up using a smaller number of nozzles (two in cabin, one in engine bay). where would the most likely source of the fire be - the fuel lines or the oil pan?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by sfarrah
Congrats. Cage looks great, very clean install. I'll have to get some pics of the nozzles in my car.
thanks! and some pics of those nozzles would be great!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

i was going to mount my bottle low on the floor, but after looking and looking on the best possible place to drill, there would either be something blocking, or there would be some cross member of some sort that would be getting in the way. the bottle itself is only 15-20lbs, so it's not that big of a weight hit (i hope).

i was more concerned with it ripping off whatever it's mounted to in the event of a crash (knock on wood), but it's pretty secure with four bolts (two of which use the stock welded in tabs while the other two are secured with bolts on the other side).