Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

iRacing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iRacing

Does anyone on this board play iRacing? I'm posting up in this section quite simply because it is a motorsports simulation, not a video game, and therefore I think it belongs in the motorsports section!

I've been playing a little bit now, should move up to a Licence C next saturday if I don't do anything stupid.

We should get together and run some sessions together if there are other guys on here running My350z, maybe even start posting up our fastest laps and see who's the fastest iracer on this site!

Incase you don't know what iracing is, check it out here if you want, its essentially an online racing simulator that you can ONLY play online, and it is arguably the most advanced simulation on the planet, with real tracks modelled better than any other program I've ever seen. There is oval and road racing in the program, so they have some famous ovals as well like daytona etc. http://iracing.com/home.html
Old 01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Billhyco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a few guys on here that play it...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Stack

I'm deep into it ... though I don't have much time to devote to it ... if I'm lucky, a practice, a time trial, and a race each week. Currently D license trying to hold on to a 4.25 SR until the end of the season in the Skippies.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I knew when I saw the title that Stack would post. I think Mike skeen who currently holds the Spec E30 record on two different traps and other several national recognized racers participate on there.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I play it, maybe, once a week for a couple hours. I'm still bombing around Laguna Seca in a Solstice trying to break the 2 min mark for 10 consecutive laps before I get out of test mode. I'm having trouble getting the hang of it.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
I play it, maybe, once a week for a couple hours. I'm still bombing around Laguna Seca in a Solstice trying to break the 2 min mark for 10 consecutive laps before I get out of test mode. I'm having trouble getting the hang of it.
Hmm... what wheel are you using? often, the lap times come down dramatically when using a decent wheel/pedal set up... but more importantly, is to set the graphics to full performance instead of full graphics.

Reason I say that ... is to really be competitive at Laguna in the Solstices ... you need to be close to 1:50 consistently. Of course... the point of the rookie series is not at all to win races, but to learn the physics of the sim and be consistently safe so your SR will improve and you can get into the more competitive series like the Skip Barber series.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Logitec force feedback wheel/pedal/shifter setup. I basically just suck at this right now. If I spend more time at it I'm sure I would get better.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
kydiwl

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I knew when I saw the title that Stack would post. I think Mike skeen who currently holds the Spec E30 record on two different traps and other several national recognized racers participate on there.
I figured Stack would've been the one to start this thread.

I play quite a bit. The real secret to good lap times (for normal people) is to have a good graphics card. Most games use the physics engine on the graphics card. I upgraded my card from a mediocre card to a high end card (albeit not the best) and my times came down significantly. I actually had to relearn to drive the Solstice there was such a difference. What Stack said is true, too. If you can't upgrade to a quality graphics card turn the in-game graphics down so more of the gpu can be used for physics.

Last time I talked to Mike, he said he wasn't playing iRacing, anymore. I did look him up not too long ago and saw that he had run/won a few races, recently. So he must be active again.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
sektor 11

sounds bad ***. i usually play gt5 pro. but I'll have to check this one out.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Stack

Originally Posted by sektor 11
sounds bad ***. i usually play gt5 pro. but I'll have to check this one out.
You'll probably be underwhelmed with the graphics ... can't beat GT5 ... but then again, if I could play iRacing on full Res, I might think differently.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 AM
kydiwl

iRacing at full resolution is pretty amazing. I'm able to crank the graphics all the way up and still get 60 - 80 fps. Depending on the track and all it sometimes looks pretty realistic. I can't wait 'til they start improving on the graphics. I've never played gt5: played gt4 and thought that was awesome. I've heard gt5 is world's better.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates, thinking about getting involved, now that they added Mid-ohio to the tracks.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Fletch69z

I never saw this thread. I'm gonna have to check out that site when I get home from work.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Stack

I can now say that having a machine that is capable of running iracing at 60+ fps makes all the difference in the world, especially if you get those numbers with medium to full res.

I'm running it now on an i7 iMac and love it. (via windows via bootcamp).

Even though I'm not on I much these days with a new baby.

Plus, not only is mid-o on there now, but so are Aussie v8 supercars... Very fun!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Used to play fairly often but my computer can't handle it any more .