Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

SCCA Solo II STR

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 AM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Solo II STR

Theyre talking about a new ST class called STR. Right now the list doesnt include the 350Z but it sounds similar to the STU-2 class that was run last season (and this season?) in Florida. If you guys want in on the new one then I suggest you email seb@scca.com and tell them you want the 350Z to be put into STR.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's the official announcement...

TOPEKA, Kan. (My 7, 2009) – Sports Car Club of America’s Solo Events Board has approved a new supplemental class—Street Touring® R (Roadster), for competition in 2010.

The approval comes after considerable member support to expand the ST category to include a class for modern roadsters. While many cars are eligible, member feedback helped establish the Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata as the class’ performance targets. Allowances will be tailored for eligible vehicles to establish performance parity.

The class will have the following requirements and restrictions:
- Two seat sports cars
- Engine displacements up to 2.8-liters
- No forced induction

Eligible vehicles will include, but is not limited to:
- All STS eligible vehicles per the requirements and restrictions, plus
- Honda S2000
- Mazda Miata
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota MR2
- Toyota MR2 – Spyder
- BMW Z3 (non M)
- BMW Z4 (non M)
- Mazda RX-7 (non-turbo)
- Porsche Boxster
- Porsche 968
- Porsche 944 (non-turbo)
- Pontiac Solstice
- Saturn Sky

Excluded vehicles due to performance potential:
- Lotus cars

Additional class notes include:

- Tire Allowances:
o AWD – 225mm
o 2WD – 245mm

- Wheel Allowances:
o AWD – 7.5”
o 2WD – 8.5”

- Catalytic Converters:
o Same as ST, STS allowance.

- Limited Slip Differentials:
o STR: Only standard LSDs allowed OR Allowance same as STX, STU

The class will run with supplemental status in 2010, meaning that no National Champion will be crowned. Should the class show considerable interest, and meet participation requirements, it may be approved for full National status in future years.

The SEB is seeking input on the following items. Members should send any input on these items to seb@scca.com.
1. OE LSD vs. Aftermarket LSD: All of the target vehicles are available with Limited Slip Differentials (or electronic equivalents) as standard equipment in some optional configuration. Restricting all cars to OE limited slips would reduce costs. That said, not all factory LSDs are equal and an argument can be made that, for reasons of parity, aftermarket parts should be allowed.
2. Inclusion of 2006-present Mazda MX-5: Is this car appropriate given the desired performance level of the class?

No use adding the 350Z to the list. S2K will probably dominate anyway.
Note that the displacement limit leaves us out anyway.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote my comment in to the SEB regarding another class for the faster coupes/roadsters in the 2.8L+ range (i.e. Z, some Porsches, AS Vettes, etc).

I think the STR class is more like SST (using the new naming conventions) than like STU2. We need an SSTU (or whatever the hell you want to call it) that allows wide wheels, big tires and lots of power.

I really like the idea of paying $600 and getting 200-250 competitive runs out of a set of tires. Beats the hell out of $1000 for 40-50 competitive runs I'm paying now, and I'd get to add camber, some bolt-ons, and wheels.

Anyway, if you want a ST class for the Z, write in to the SEB. The only way we'll be heard is if we make some noise.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
DriveI65

I'm in favor of a street tire class that the Z fits. However, don't expect to spend less on tires if you want to run National events. The top ST competitors are changing tires from streets to new shaved rubber for Tours and Nationals. Many of them are towing to the events also. It's still expensive to compete at that level.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
guitarist

The top guys are doing the same thing for race rubber as well, and any way you slice it, 3x4 Kumho XS = about 1/2 the price of 3x4 Kumho V710s. The numbers are even better if you run Hoosiers.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM
DriveI65

Originally Posted by guitarist
3x4 Kumho XS = about 1/2 the price of 3x4 Kumho V710s..
What is 3x4? I don't think I've ever seen a reference like it.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
guitarist

lol...it's a mathematical expression meaning three times four, or 12

I'm just a bit of a lazy typist at times and it was quicker than saying three sets of X or Y.

See, did it again with the variables. :P

Anyway, however many sets of tires you have to buy to be competitive, it's always cheaper if the tires themselves cost half as much. Even if you have to pick up an extra set a year.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

- Tire Allowances:
o AWD – 225mm
o 2WD – 245mm

- Wheel Allowances:
o AWD – 7.5”
o 2WD – 8.5”

For those that are interested in running the Z on street tires, check this out;
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...challenge.html

And a little drama on the subject (on another forum) that I couldn't just sit on the sidelines for..
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6&postcount=42

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM
DriveI65

lol...it's a mathematical expression meaning three times four, or 12
Never seen it used in reference to tires.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
guitarist

I guess that's the danger of communication on the internet.

Point remains though, street tires are definitely cheaper. Plus you can drive them and from the event if you want to, though like you said, many do trailer. Which kind of blows my mind in a ST* class.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Point remains though, street tires are definitely cheaper. Plus you can drive them and from the event if you want to, though like you said, many do trailer. Which kind of blows my mind in a ST* class.
I guess I live in a different world, since I just retired my two-year-old V710s, and it looks like I'm going to have to replace my street tires (which is pretty much a once a year event).

Tires that are half as expensive but need to be replaced twice as often -- and are slower to boot -- aren't a bargain in my world. Not to mention that for DOT-R tires there are really two options (maybe three). Street tires -- there are half-a-dozen options, and it's up to you to find the best one for your car, your driving style, oh and the current weather.

However, it would be nice to have a street tire class that doesn't exclude the 350Z.

Last edited by PDX_Racer; 05-09-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 AM
guitarist

I've not heard of two-year-old V710s being competitive on anything, even if they're still sub-100 runs. On a camber challenged stock-class Z, they're certainly not still competitive. I know, I've run four-year-old V710s to 220+ runs (flipped them three times). They sucked for the last 40-50 runs, and weren't very fast for the 80 runs prior to that.

The V710s I have now will probably be past their optimal point in another 20 runs, and they only have about 30 on them (very low-wear asphalt runs too).

The guys that run the XSs, RE-11s, etc, are saying they expect 200+ FAST runs before replacing.

I still don't see how that's a bad deal.