Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Where is the cheapest place to buy Hoosier A6s at?

new or take-offs?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
Seems there are some new rules for Time Attacks in 2008: http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-2.html

Street tires >140 and car must have current registration, but registered owner does not have to drive it.
Modified tires >50

I do, however, think this is comical:

Protest Procedure: Any competitor has the right to Protest another competitor on the grounds that their vehicle does not meet the rules for the Class/Division the vehicle is competing in. The Protest must be issued by another registered competitor, not a Team Owner, crew member, family member, etc. An Official Protest Form must be filled out and submitted to Redline Time Attack Event Management Staff with the appropriate Protest Fee (Street Class: $100, Modified Class: $150, Unlimited Class: $200) in cash. Upon receiving the completed Protest Form and the appropriate Cash Fee, Redline will conduct a Protest Inspection of the vehicle to determine if the vehicle meets the rules for its respective Class/Division. If the vehicle in question is found to meet the rules, the Protest Fee will be awarded to the owner of the vehicle in question. If the vehicle in question DOES NOT meet the rules, the vehicle’s lap times will be considered invalid and the vehicle’s results will be removed from the official competition records. Decisions made by Redline Staff are final, there will be no appeals.

So you beat me in xxx class but are illegal. I pay $xxx and you are proven illegal. Now I take x place and get X$ award, but I just paid $xxx to rat you out. It's not like the purses are multi thousands of dollars. . .
Why is that comical, you pay to protest and if you are right then you get your money back, if you are wrong, the guy who you protested against gets the money. This virtually eliminates BS protests. Its how all of the major racing organizations like NASCAR etc, do it, except their protest fees are much higher.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The best modified tire last year in RTA (aside from the now illegal-for-modified-class BFG R1) is undoubteduly the Toyo R888. It has garnered universal praise, and everyone I can think of, likes them better than the RA1 or the NT01. Price wise, I havent compared lately, but since those R888's have also proven very durable, I would be willing to spend a couple extra bucks for them.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
Why is that comical, you pay to protest and if you are right then you get your money back, if you are wrong, the guy who you protested against gets the money. This virtually eliminates BS protests. Its how all of the major racing organizations like NASCAR etc, do it, except their protest fees are much higher.
Unless I read the rule incorrectly, EVEN if the car is proven illegal, the person who initiated the protest does NOT get their money back.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Unless I read the rule incorrectly, EVEN if the car is proven illegal, the person who initiated the protest does NOT get their money back.
Well when we were discussing it with Nik a long time ago that's how it was supposed to work out. I don't think anybody made a protest last year so I am not sure how it would play out in a real situation but when he made the rule it was my understanding that the money would go back to the protestor if he was proven right. There are a lot of holes in the 2008 rules which is why I believe they are bringing in outside help to write them for 2009.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will competing on shaved R888's 275/35/18F and 305/35/18 rears in the modified class. I love the tire. Great on so many levels.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well when we were discussing it with Nik a long time ago that's how it was supposed to work out. I don't think anybody made a protest last year so I am not sure how it would play out in a real situation but when he made the rule it was my understanding that the money would go back to the protestor if he was proven right. There are a lot of holes in the 2008 rules which is why I believe they are bringing in outside help to write them for 2009.
My interpretation was the same as Sharif's. Nowhere does it say that the person who protests gets their fee back. I go by what's in print, and the print does not suggest what you are saying. . .
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I will competing on shaved R888's 275/35/18F and 305/35/18 rears in the modified class. I love the tire. Great on so many levels.
Is your car F/I? Seems it'll be hard to compete with the TT'd Z33s (or other F/I cars) given most other things constant. That's what has kept me thinking I'd drive in street versus modified.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 AM
racerbob4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no protests in NASCAR. They do all the tech inspections, tear downs of the winner and what ever car they choose and they give the money to Bill France for his rolls and coffee.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Very true. For better or for worse, the rules were barely enforced this year, and everyone was bending and molding the rules to fit their needs.

Next year, I am glad they are tightening things up in mod, and making "street" a true street class so that more people will come out and compete. Last year's "street" class cars were just retardedly fast. Full built shop/sponsored cars making 500whp..toss a cat on the rear, swap tires, and suddenly you are a street car! That was commical.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by racerbob4
There are no protests in NASCAR. They do all the tech inspections, tear downs of the winner and what ever car they choose and they give the money to Bill France for his rolls and coffee.
NASCAR just doesn't have the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series .
Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full built shop/sponsored cars making 500whp..toss a cat on the rear, swap tires, and suddenly you are a street car! That was commical.
Especially when the exact same car competes in the Street class with one driver and the Mod class with another - and podiums both.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Especially when the exact same car competes in the Street class with one driver and the Mod class with another - and podiums both.
To podium in Mod class with a Street class legal car is an accomplishment in my eyes.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Is your car F/I? Seems it'll be hard to compete with the TT'd Z33s (or other F/I cars) given most other things constant. That's what has kept me thinking I'd drive in street versus modified.
Yes sir.... My car has a built motor and making 565whp with a Greddy TT and GTM cams. If you look at my signature it's a link to my Cardomain page with all the car info and pics.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Yes sir.... My car has a built motor and making 565whp with a Greddy TT and GTM cams. If you look at my signature it's a link to my Cardomain page with all the car info and pics.
Oh boy. I see that now. You should do well! ;-) I hope the new rules do make the street class more for realstreet cars.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Billhyco

personally, i think the Redline Time Attacks are a bit of a joke, especially with their "rules" or lack there of to keep things even amongst other cars. I couldn't be happier that I didn't spend a dime on one of their events this year. Money completely wasted.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Billhyco
personally, i think the Redline Time Attacks are a bit of a joke, especially with their "rules" or lack there of to keep things even amongst other cars. I couldn't be happier that I didn't spend a dime on one of their events this year. Money completely wasted.
lol...this is YOUR THREAD.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by mhoward1
lol...this is YOUR THREAD.
yeah i know, but it was started quite a while ago. after i started this thread i got in touch with Redline about a lot of questions I had with classing and so forth. Would you believe that a unbuilt miata with slicks competes with TT'd caged Z's and other cars in Modified? I just couldn't grasp how that was fair and quickly lost interest. Well that and how an R1 was good enough for there event but any other tire under a 50 tread rating was not allowed. I think I just woke up to how ridiculous those events are. Fun maybe, sure, but not equally competetive.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Redline Time Attack is in no way spec racing, thats what N.A.S.A. is for.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Correct. It appears that the fee is to reward parties that are accused of cheating that are found to have followed the rules, and in the event that the party is found to have cheated, the fee is used to pay for the effort due to inspection.

What I see the main issue with this rule is initiation of the inquiry, which is supposed to be unbiased. This helps prevent teams from "calling wolf', but it also allows for further cheating, since it will usually be the teams competing which are the closest to the action that will be able to tell that a team is cheating. All in all, this rule needs to be amended to allow teams to complain about cheating that they see. The shear fact that this rule is in place, is that the event heads don't want to have to deal with competative bs from teams.

Teams should be allowed, after paying a fee, to report the cheating of competing teams.

on a side note, I seriously hope that the rule that was posted isn't the official one. Whomever put "etc." at the end of the parties that can report the cheating should be shot.

Quick Reply: The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands