Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billhyco
personally, i think the Redline Time Attacks are a bit of a joke, especially with their "rules" or lack there of to keep things even amongst other cars. I couldn't be happier that I didn't spend a dime on one of their events this year. Money completely wasted.

Even this year, with the very loose interpretation of the rules, there was plenty of competition in all classes.
And next year will be MUCH tighter, as the rules make a lot more sense, there is more meaninful class differentiation, and most importantly, they have additional support and tech staff to insure all cars are teched and properly classified. I am not really looking for MORE rules and restrictions, but rather, some better enforcement of existing rules. I don't ever want the RTA rulebook to turn into a NASA or SCCA bible of rules.

There is a lot of creativity, and flexibility in RTA, and that is why a lot of teams and shops compete there. This was our first season doing it, and definately will be back next year.

One last note, is that I think we ALL tend to get caught up, in how powerful our equipment is, or what tires we are running, suspension/aero setup, and complain when other teams are faster than us. But at the end of the day, 85% of this boils down to the driver, and the track. Each one of us probably has several seconds of lap time improvement, simply by gaining seatime and familiarity with a given track. This isn't Formula 1 where the top 10 drivers are seperated by 2 tenths of a second. So instead of complaining about the other guy's equipment, the rules, or the percieved power advantage of one car over another...how about just driving what we have a little bit better? And guess what...on shorter tracks, that power and aero/setup advantage becomes smaller and smaller, almost to the point of not even being an issue.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 10-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Even this year, with the very loose interpretation of the rules, there was plenty of competition in all classes.
And next year will be MUCH tighter, as the rules make a lot more sense, there is more meaninful class differentiation, and most importantly, they have additional support and tech staff to insure all cars are teched and properly classified. I am not really looking for MORE rules and restrictions, but rather, some better enforcement of existing rules. I don't ever want the RTA rulebook to turn into a NASA or SCCA bible of rules.

There is a lot of creativity, and flexibility in RTA, and that is why a lot of teams and shops compete there. This was our first season doing it, and definately will be back next year.

One last note, is that I think we ALL tend to get caught up, in how powerful our equipment is, or what tires we are running, suspension/aero setup, and complain when other teams are faster than us. But at the end of the day, 85% of this boils down to the driver, and the track. Each one of us probably has several seconds of lap time improvement, simply by gaining seatime and familiarity with a given track. This isn't Formula 1 where the top 10 drivers are seperated by 2 tenths of a second. So instead of complaining about the other guy's equipment, the rules, or the percieved power advantage of one car over another...how about just driving what we have a little bit better? And guess what...on shorter tracks, that power and aero/setup advantage becomes smaller and smaller, almost to the point of not even being an issue.
Very true, but the extremes exist within the classes (still?). Clearly, my NA Z33 would not be competitive vs a 500rwhp Z33TT or my 650rwhp Z32TT in the same "street" class, as there is only one "legal" street vehicle given those 3. They need to figure out a way to make it fun and competitive, so more people will join in.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are really only a couple effective ways to reduce (not prevent) cheating in motorsports.

1. Claiming rules for engines, transmission, differentials, wheels/tires, and shocks.
2. Spec and sealed components with random swapping.

Protests and tech inspections are somewhat effective but are very imperfect.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
They need to figure out a way to make it fun and competitive, so more people will join in.
"They" have done so. The they in this case is NASA, who runs a great HPDE series along with a awesome Time Trial competition, with well defined classes that allow anything from a old Honda Civic HF all the way to a fully caged, blown 'Vette, and get all those different cars in to mostly competitive classes. SCCA does a good job as well, from what I have heard, although I can not personaly vouch for them.

RTA are more of a way for professional shops and teams to compete and show off their projects, whereas NASA is much more in the spirit of grassroots racing. One caveat, however, is that NASA Nationals are much more geared towards teams and such, pretty similiar to RTA.

If you are really interested in doing time attack type events with a fun group of people, show up to the next NASA HPDE event and start your way through their licensing program (I'm assuming you haven't done so allready, if I am wrong, then please disregard)
Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
Very true, but the extremes exist within the classes (still?). Clearly, my NA Z33 would not be competitive vs a 500rwhp Z33TT or my 650rwhp Z32TT in the same "street" class, as there is only one "legal" street vehicle given those 3. They need to figure out a way to make it fun and competitive, so more people will join in.
Next year..the field will be much more level. There will be no 500whp-650whp cars in street class.

An NA 350Z got 1st or 2nd place..can't remember...in Street Class RWD in Nashville. I am pretty sure it was first place. And Nashville had one of the larger turnouts.

Believe me..next year will be a lot more competive, and there will be room for everyone to have a shot.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 AM
mitchmo

can anyone show a picture of 285/30's on a 8" wheel. pref on the car
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ridiculous power in street class dominates? A stock 99 Corvette whooped *** on a bunch of other built "street cars" at the Summit Point event.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 PM
s2k2nismo

Default R-COMP TIRES, LESS SIDEWALL ?

i have been running this tire size, 285/35/19 rear and 265/35/19 front...street tire.

i have been thinking of going to the pirelli r-comp tire but will have to run 285/30/19 rear and 265/30/19.

with less side wall, will i have better steering response? less grip?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
betamotorsports

I doubt you'll notice the difference.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
JETPILOT

The P-Zero Corsa? That's one very very expensive tire!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
s2k2nismo

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
thanx john
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
s2k2nismo

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The P-Zero Corsa? That's one very very expensive tire!
thats why i asking.....i hate to pay for that tire if they are not going to work.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
JETPILOT

Ohhhhhh.... your sure to notice the diference between a set of street tires and the Corsa's. ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about that. You'll be amazed! As far as the sidewall difference... I don't think you'll notice anything either. To realize the full petential of breaking with these tires I recomend a track pad like the hawk DTC-70's.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by s2k2nismo
i have been running this tire size, 285/35/19 rear and 265/35/19 front...street tire.

i have been thinking of going to the pirelli r-comp tire but will have to run 285/30/19 rear and 265/30/19.

with less side wall, will i have better steering response? less grip?
just wondering... why you don't get a set of el cheapo rims 18*9.5 and you put toyoR888 or nitto NT-01 275/35R18 all around?
you can pretty much get this stuff for the same price of the pzero corsa.

(the pzero corsa were quite popular with the porsche guys in italy and they are famous to explode at half tread for failure of the inner sidewall with 2.5/3 deg of front camber, the only advantage was the price there... almost half of the pilot sport cup)
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 AM
s2k2nismo

[QUOTE=Ataru074;6497799]just wondering... why you don't get a set of el cheapo rims 18*9.5 and you put toyoR888 or nitto NT-01 275/35R18 all around?

I think that is the route im going.......
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 AM
jmark

^ I hope you didn't sell your Nismo. Sorry for jacking the thread.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by s2k2nismo
I think that is the route im going.......
+1 ... with motorsports stuff, you don't always "get what you pay for"
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM
betamotorsports

Sorry, I thought the question was about the tire size difference. I didn't pick up on the change from street tires to R-Comps. You will definitely notice that difference!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not 295/275? I have found some good deals on the PS Cup on Ebay.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by Ataru074
just wondering... why you don't get a set of el cheapo rims 18*9.5 and you put toyoR888 or nitto NT-01 275/35R18 all around?

(the pzero corsa were quite popular with the porsche guys in italy and they are famous to explode at half tread for failure of the inner sidewall with 2.5/3 deg of front camber, the only advantage was the price there... almost half of the pilot sport cup)
+1....I had two sets of the Corsas, and they delaminated quite prematurely. If you do get them, don't run too aggressive camber. I was running -2.7, which appeared to wear the tire well, but the delamination on the inside tread seemed to indicate too much heat/too much negative camber. RA1/NT01/R888 will last at least twice as long, but I found the Corsas to be slightly faster tire than the RA1...but, the lifespan and mode of failure is unacceptable.

I also recommend buying an 18" set of wheels instead of running the 19's. Believe me, you'll save lots of $$$ in the long run.

Quick Reply: The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands