Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Anyone racing the 370Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM
cubic202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone racing the 370Z?

Guys, does anyone know if there are any teams racing the 370z? I’m watching a great duel between a camero and Caymen battling it out in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and I would assume the 370z NISMO would be very competitive. I know there are a few Z’s running Time Attack but I’d love to see some door-to-door action.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
*Boose*

Everybody scared. Welp to die.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooo.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, I think the Z platform is not competive in that series. Last time they were able to get a result was about 2005 when the dominant car (other than the Performance Nissan Z's) was the 300 hp Mustang. They had tons of problems holding on to the Mustangs after they got sorted out. Today, with the average car sporting 400 hp (in stock form and who knows in race trim) at roughly the same weight the car is just not "'classed" well to compete. Lets face it, a fully built NA Z will have trouble beating a 2011 Mustang GT with an intake and exhaust on all but the twistiest of courses. This is not to say they completely can't be competeive it just means they start out with a huge power disadvantage. It also means that Nissan teams would have to spend crazy money developing a car that is not embraced by the class. This could be less of a disadvantage if the suggested Mercedes/Nissan alliance puts a small displacement V8 (4.3-4.6) in to action for the z35, but this seems like a hoop dream with fuel economy moving to the front of priorities for car makers.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:43 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Unfortunately, the Continental (or Koni or Grand-Am) Cup series is not a place where I'd expect to see the 370Z show up. Why? The HUGE cost of development as well as lack of sponsorship pretty much sums it up. With the FR500 and factory involvement with Porsche and BMW, there's little incentive to build a specialized race car, even if you start with a stock NISMO 370Z.

If you want to see the 370Z racing door-to-door, I have a reliable source that says to look for a debut at the SCCA Runoffs at Road America this September! Stay tuned...

David Muramoto
Editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport Magazine
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by dkmura
Unfortunately, the Continental (or Koni or Grand-Am) Cup series is not a place where I'd expect to see the 370Z show up. Why? The HUGE cost of development as well as lack of sponsorship pretty much sums it up. With the FR500 and factory involvement with Porsche and BMW, there's little incentive to build a specialized race car, even if you start with a stock NISMO 370Z.

If you want to see the 370Z racing door-to-door, I have a reliable source that says to look for a debut at the SCCA Runoffs at Road America this September! Stay tuned...

David Muramoto
Editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport Magazine
I'm actually surprised a 350Z-spec series hasn't been developed. I know the 944-Cup in the NASA program is really popular and if you think about it, the 350Z isnt too far off from that car in terms of performance and value. Maybe in the future when the 350Z gets older, I dunno.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
I'm actually surprised a 350Z-spec series hasn't been developed. I know the 944-Cup in the NASA program is really popular and if you think about it, the 350Z isnt too far off from that car in terms of performance and value. Maybe in the future when the 350Z gets older, I dunno.
There has been talk about it and most have been waiting until the prices dropped below the $12K mark or cheaper.

It use to fun to watch the 350Z's in T2 until the Solstices showed up.

Unfortunately the Z's are a in abig middle ground and the classing just keeps them that way. It's been like that ever since the Z's dominated SCCA in the early years and ITS in later years.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats because the 370z along with the 350z are meant to be raced like this:

-J
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

^^ how is that "racing"?

It's figure skating in cars...and you still have to watch the Russian Judges.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 AM
roger22

Redneck Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
^^ how is that "racing"?

ya know, i used to think the same thing some years back...i was like:
"What, its a judged sport???"

I Was into road and autoX first because there was a "start" and "finish" line.......I noticed in time, even the worst of drivers can improve when you have to stay with in the lines....

Then i actually went out there and tried it.......... and its been the hardest thing in the world for me to become "good" at...

Drifting and completing a course is quite difficult......till you tried it...u wont respect it...most don't.....

I have had friends that are good/great autoX and road guys come out and get so frustrated that they cant "get it"...

-J
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I didn't say it wasn't a competition, but it's not racing. Racing is about who is the first across the line.

All racing is competition, but not all competition is racing.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Red370

there are alot of 370's mopping up competition in the Redline Time Attack series currently, Paul Dentice in the AE Performance 370Z has placed 1st place in every event in the series so far, the Twin Turbo Import Tuner car recently placed 3rd in the Unlimited class beating 2 fully race prepped R35 GT-R's, Cobb Tuning has podiumed a few times and Stillens Supercharged car will be on the circuit soon!

AE Performance

Import Tuner's TT'ed 370

Cobb Tuning

heres a cool vid inside the Cobb Tuning car with Trey Cobb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oCwJZGfCpU

As far as the 1320 goes, I dont think there are any sponsored 370s competing, for the simple fact that out of the competition, to build a 370 to compete would be too expensive. This car was made to get sideways, or hit up the ol' autoX circuit.

Last edited by Red370; 07-26-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Red370

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM
ZPHILE

Pretty sure they're not campaigning the car. But, here's a 370 that's in the BRE livery colors. Maybe someday....

http://www.bre2.net/index.php?section=123

(Scroll down on page to the middle).
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
cubic202

Originally Posted by mhoward1
^^ how is that "racing"?

Ha I thought of it more of the synchronized swimming of auto sports, sans nose plugs.

Yeah time attack is cool; I was a spectator at the California Speedway event a month or so ago. Enjoyable, but at the end of the day it was as if I was viewing a test session for the teams, interesting but not all that entertaining. But at the end of the day real bragging rights come down to who takes the checkered after battling it out on the twisties.

Thanks for the insight in regards to developing the Z to be up to race spec, sucks to see the Cayman out there battling it with our major competitors; Mustang and Camero and we don’t have a team in the game. I know the 370z Nismo is at least up to Cayman S level specs.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Red370

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Pretty sure they're not campaigning the car. But, here's a 370 that's in the BRE livery colors. Maybe someday....

http://www.bre2.net/index.php?section=123

(Scroll down on page to the middle).
oh wow, that car looks badass!

Last edited by Red370; 07-26-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by cubic202
Ha I thought of it more of the synchronized swimming of auto sports, sans nose plugs.

Yeah time attack is cool; I was a spectator at the California Speedway event a month or so ago. Enjoyable, but at the end of the day it was as if I was viewing a test session for the teams, interesting but not all that entertaining. But at the end of the day real bragging rights come down to who takes the checkered after battling it out on the twisties.

Thanks for the insight in regards to developing the Z to be up to race spec, sucks to see the Cayman out there battling it with our major competitors; Mustang and Camero and we don’t have a team in the game. I know the 370z Nismo is at least up to Cayman S level specs.

I see drift as Figure skating, but a hell of a lot more exciting to watch.

Time Attack, semi cool to watch, more fun to drive. I think the best part of a weekend is talking to the other competitors and fans. You should have said hi at Cali speedway. I'll be back there in Nov with Time Attack.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
cubic202

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I see drift as Figure skating, but a hell of a lot more exciting to watch.

Time Attack, semi cool to watch, more fun to drive. I think the best part of a weekend is talking to the other competitors and fans. You should have said hi at Cali speedway. I'll be back there in Nov with Time Attack.
Agree 100%. I plan on running that one event next year in the rwd enthusiast class. Shoot me a PM if you need a hand with your Z.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura

David Muramoto
Editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport Magazine
Cool. I wonder who will be driving the BRE T2 370Z at the Runoffs? My vote is for Brian Kleeman. He just had a bad crash in his T2 350Z HR. I think the 350Z is real close to being competitive in T3. If the SCCA would drop the extra 140 lbs. it might be right there. Realize it is running a restrictor as well. Rob thinks it needs to have the weight dropped or the restrictor reduced. Don't forget Liam's Nismo 350Z won the DC Pro Solo! I know he plans to run his Nismo at the finals as well.

By the way, I got the latest magazine David. Thanks for using my pics! I have not decided yet if I will be able to go to the Runoffs. I hope too.

Last edited by jmark; 07-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone racing the 370Z?