Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

BSP Legal Camber, let's talk

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BSP Legal Camber, let's talk

Alright, so I thought I had my plans worked out for my suspension, but I'm running into issues getting legal camber adjustment.

Here's what I have figured out right now.

For springs/shocks I'm going with
Front TrueChoice Double Adjustable Coil Overs, no issues here.
Rear off the shelf Koni Sports (will rebuild later this year to get DA)

Now here's where I run into trouble, Camber.

I need camber up front. I purchased (along with the above parts) some SPL V2 Control Arms, but because of the heim joints they aren't legal for BSP, and SPL says they won't make anything that uses a urethane bushing for them because there isn't enough demand.

So I was going to order the SPC Control Arms, but from looking at them, they apparently will only do up to -1.5 for adjustment, I would like to have more flexibility there. I also believe (from looking at pictures) that the bushings they provide aren't BSP legal either because they look to have more METAL than the OEM bushings, which isn't legal in the class.

So what are people doing for camber adjustment to remain legal in BSP?

I need to figure something out ASAP as I need to get the parts on the car and the car aligned and adjusted before the San Diego National Tour and El Toro ProSolo at the beginning of April.

Anyone have any words of advice that might help?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I run the SPL's in BSP with the approval of my competition. I don't have a problem with local events around the state and none of the 16 competitors at the state championship had a problem with them either.

For national events or events with otherwise picky competition, (does anyone think the bushings on the A-arms will give a driver the win?)I would consider Cusco A-arms. I have never tried them, but I have heard they do well from two different guys that track their cars.

Ichiba A-arms did not hold up on the track for me though. (That's why I'm using SPL's now)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 03-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Betamotorsports had a thread showing a derlin (or something similar) upper control arm cam'ed bushing. So you could use the stock arms and have an adjustment through the offset hole in the bushing. Rotating it allowed for the adjustment. Not sure if he ever made more then a few sets though.

Last edited by Zazz93; 03-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
christoc

At this point I have to go with a fully national legal option. Whether or not the extra metal actually improves performance or not unfortunately doesn't matter, rules are rules for what I am trying to follow.

Are Cusco the only option that anyone knows of that would fit those rules?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Edit....never mind....wouldn't allow enough adjustment anyway.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 03-14-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
christoc

They look like they might be legal in the front, but I'm not sure what is actually legal in the rear. I don't know enough about suspensions to read the rules properly

On double/unequal arm (e.g. wishbone, multi-link) suspensions,
only the upper arms OR lower arms may be modified or replaced,
but not both. Non-integral longitudinal arms that primarily control
fore/aft wheel movement (e.g. trailing arm(s) or link(s) of a multilink
suspension) may not be replaced, changed, or modified.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM
christoc

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Edit....never mind....wouldn't allow enough adjustment anyway.
I'm starting to wonder if the adjustment would be alright once the car is lowered. What happens to the camber when the 350z is dropped without any camber adjustment added?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I think mine settled around -1.9-2.0 with ~1.2" lower than factory...not 100% on those numbers, but it seems about right from memory.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
christoc

I'm actually thinking that the rear SPC parts aren't legal in BSP, based on the section of the rules I posted, which would mean the only way (at least that I've seen so far) to get adjustment in the rear would be to replace the midlinks

edit: fixed rear

though not sure midlinks will allow for camber?

Last edited by christoc; 03-14-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by christoc
I'm actually thinking that the rear SPC parts aren't legal in BSP, based on the section of the rules I posted, which would mean the only way (at least that I've seen so far) to get adjustment in the rear would be to replace the midlinks

edit: fixed rear
From what you posted in the rear the camber arm should easily be able to get replaced, then the spring bucket is pretty much for toe. It says you can replace arms, but the traction arm is not replacable. Also Megan arms are not heim jointed, i have been running there front control arms for 3 years now.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 AM
christoc

Sorry, you look to be correct, the Camber arms can be replaced.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a new set of offset Hydlar UCA bushings that will give you .9 negative (at least that's what they give on my car). Using those in conjunction with an aftermarket LCA might get you all the camber adjustment you need. The installation of the UCA bushings takes a little time and they are not cheap, but I've been running a set on my car for 3 years without a problem. Send me an e-mail and I can send you the install pics.

FYI... I've sold this set before and the customer sent them back because they couldn't handle the install. I think you can handle it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How much camber were you looking to run?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
christoc

I don't know how much exactly, but I'd like to get some flexibility in the setup.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second page of this thread has pics of what I'm running. John's bushings are similar except he doesn't use a sleeve in the middle. My bushing set-up can go from -3.2 to -2.2, his bushings should give a bit more camber than mine.

In the rear I have a similar, but non adjustable set in the upper. At my ride heights, I had around -2.2 stock in the rear and the bushings got it down to around -1.

mike

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...t-to-do-2.html
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
christoc

Thanks Hippie! Great thread, I didn't see that one before.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
DmanG281

Has an insert for the SPL arms been completely ruled out? I am interested because I am currently in your same situation where I am slowly converting to a BSP\TT car and would really like to use the SPL parts as they seem to be the best design. I don't have the part in front of me but it looks like something could be mocked up like such. Where the option on the right would be a solid billet of steel that has a radius machined out of it to fit a steel receiver that has been welded on. Thoughts? Mind you I have given this about 5 minutes of thought and 10minutes to exercise my awesome MS Paint abilities.

Edit:yellow portion would be a urethane bushing. I have some UHMW that I think would work quit nicely there.
Attached Thumbnails BSP Legal Camber, let's talk-lca3.png  

Last edited by DmanG281; 03-23-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

I'm not a hardcore tracker or anything but with some Autocross and plenty of aggressive driving my cusco's have held up great and offer plenty of adjustment
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SP category requires a non-metallic bushing. For a single axis bushing most folks make something out of the various kinds of Nylon 6/6.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
christoc

Originally Posted by DmanG281
Has an insert for the SPL arms been completely ruled out? I am interested because I am currently in your same situation where I am slowly converting to a BSP\TT car and would really like to use the SPL parts as they seem to be the best design. I don't have the part in front of me but it looks like something could be mocked up like such. Where the option on the right would be a solid billet of steel that has a radius machined out of it to fit a steel receiver that has been welded on. Thoughts? Mind you I have given this about 5 minutes of thought and 10minutes to exercise my awesome MS Paint abilities.

Edit:yellow portion would be a urethane bushing. I have some UHMV that I think would work quit nicely there.
If someone made something that went into the SPL arms and provided a location for a non-metallic bushing I would be all for it. I may see if I can find someone to fabricate something up, but don't have time right now.

Quick Reply: BSP Legal Camber, let's talk