Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Summit Point National next weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 AM
racerbob4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Point National next weekend

So far we have two Z cars registered in T3, Brian Kleeman and Rob Hines. If you live in the area come out and see some good racing. Rob made some improvements in the car this past week and will definitely be faster. Stop by and say hello, the car is pewter silver with yellow graphics and runs the number 4. Not sure where we will be paddocked but its not that hard to find someone. Bob Hines
Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 AM
bkleeman

Hi Bob! We're actually brining *2* 350Zs so we'll have at least 3 all together.

I'll be running the Blue HR in T3 - we're trying to collect points for the Runoffs to run both T2 and T3.

Randy Tauro will be running my old red/black DE in T2. Plans are for him to qualify for the runoffs as well and we're hoping to convert that car to an HR by then.

Assuming good weather, I'll be doing data collection and coaching with Randy during the Friday practice day.

If anyone is in the area, stop by and say "hi"!

Brian
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll be up there hanging out on Saturday.....I'll stop by and say hi.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

A bit depressing to my fragile ego to watch you guys go so fast in T3 trim . Couple of pics from today:

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 05-21-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

The rain made things interesting for you guys today.....
Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM
racerbob4

Default Summit Point National

The rain did make it interesting. About 12 minutes before they called cars to the grid the rain stopped and Rob and crew consulted their cell phone to see if more was coming. It looked clear for the race but the track was totally wet so do we run the rain tires that are on the car or go back to the standard Goodyear slicks. Thats always a driver decision and Rob decided he wanted the slicks so a mad tire change was done in about 8 or 9 minutes with all three of us working on it. The pole car driver who was in a Cobalt decided to change to his Mustang so he moved to the back of the T2 and T3 cars and that put Rob in the 350Z on the pole for the start. Everyone else had rain tires and Rob came around on the first lap in 4th place where he stayed and proceeded to lose time to the leaders every lap. About lap 8 or 9 he lost even more time as there was a rain cell only at turns 6B to 9 but it never rained on us in the pit lane so we didn't know what was happening. Then about lap 10 when Rob was over 15 seconds behind on the 23 lap race the track started to dry and Rob started making up time on the leaders. About lap 15 Brian Kleeman in his T3 350Z passed the Mustang T2 and took the overall lead. Rob moved closer, cutting whole seconds off the leader and on lap 20 passed Brian Kleeman for the overall lead and won by 2.5 seconds and also set the fastest race lap with a 1:28.472. Believe me it wasn't that easy to stand and watch as I thought the right call was for rain tires but either way I think Rob would have won. On the friday practice day we were running on old VIR tires and were just slightly under the Summit Point lap record for T3 but to set the record you have to do it in a race. After the last race at VIR we did a lot of work on the car to solve the ABS problems and to find the "sweet spot" in the suspension for better handling and we also moved some weight around for better balance. Next race is in two weeks at the New Jersey Motorsports Park near Millville, NJ. Anyone going to that race be sure to stop by.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I had you guys back about 13s behind Brian around lap 10, but the dry line was pretty evident by then. Rob was really taking chunks off Don and Brian after that. Apparently Andrew took a very hard lick in his T1 vette during qualifying on Sat and wasn't up to driving today in the T2 5.0. Nice to see the Z's come in 1-2 during that race. I still can't get over the fact that the FA's were running 1:07's during the race......insane.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 05-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbob4
The rain did make it interesting. About 12 minutes before they called cars to the grid the rain stopped and Rob and crew consulted their cell phone to see if more was coming. It looked clear for the race but the track was totally wet so do we run the rain tires that are on the car or go back to the standard Goodyear slicks. Thats always a driver decision and Rob decided he wanted the slicks so a mad tire change was done in about 8 or 9 minutes with all three of us working on it. The pole car driver who was in a Cobalt decided to change to his Mustang so he moved to the back of the T2 and T3 cars and that put Rob in the 350Z on the pole for the start. Everyone else had rain tires and Rob came around on the first lap in 4th place where he stayed and proceeded to lose time to the leaders every lap. About lap 8 or 9 he lost even more time as there was a rain cell only at turns 6B to 9 but it never rained on us in the pit lane so we didn't know what was happening. Then about lap 10 when Rob was over 15 seconds behind on the 23 lap race the track started to dry and Rob started making up time on the leaders. About lap 15 Brian Kleeman in his T3 350Z passed the Mustang T2 and took the overall lead. Rob moved closer, cutting whole seconds off the leader and on lap 20 passed Brian Kleeman for the overall lead and won by 2.5 seconds and also set the fastest race lap with a 1:28.472. Believe me it wasn't that easy to stand and watch as I thought the right call was for rain tires but either way I think Rob would have won. On the friday practice day we were running on old VIR tires and were just slightly under the Summit Point lap record for T3 but to set the record you have to do it in a race. After the last race at VIR we did a lot of work on the car to solve the ABS problems and to find the "sweet spot" in the suspension for better handling and we also moved some weight around for better balance. Next race is in two weeks at the New Jersey Motorsports Park near Millville, NJ. Anyone going to that race be sure to stop by.
Congrats Rob & Bob! Sounds like a fun race to watch! Nice to see the 350Z have a chance to win & that you have fixed the ABS problem.

Last edited by jmark; 05-23-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 AM
bkleeman

Congrats to Rob on the win! Racing in the rain is always ... exciting

We had issues on Friday with the WaveTrack diff and one big hairy moment in turn one that forced me to use the escape road. The diff was definitely not operating as designed and we found that one of the stub axles had actually worked it's way out about an inch such that the abs/wheel speed sensor was no longer lined up correctly. Our data also showed that the inside wheel was picking up 7 mph in turn 9 as the track levels and goes off camber.

Rob was nice enough to loan us his spare diff and we did a quick swap Friday evening. Unfortunately something in that incident and/or swap caused us to lose the ABS as the computer would throw a code every time i started moving. Needless to say, I had to be pretty careful with the brakes in the rain

I've got video so I'll try to get that youtube'd soon.

Rematch at NJ in 2 weeks

Brian
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Nice run Brian considering no ABS. The youtube should be interesting to watch!