Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Learn To Really Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
valentin_84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn To Really Drive

So, after getting my Z and driving it for a week, I've decided that I'm not worthy... I mean, I can drive a manual, but not like this car needs to be driven! I can bolt on a bunch of crap and keep worrying about how the front bumper is a little beat up, but I think I should focus on learning the art of REALLY driving first.

Can you guys give me any suggestions on what rout I should take? Books, Internet, Classes, Track Time, Just Drive?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

It really depends on your budget.

If you have the cash to drop then take performance driving classes like from Skip Barber.

If you are strapped on cash I would highly consider trying out Auto-X.

You can push your car in a safe environment, while learning yourself as a driver and also the limits of your car, at a low cost.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
omgitsweasel

Skip Barber is ok, but the cars they had when I was looking into it were totally different than Z cars. Same with the old Bob Bondurant courses, they used to use old P71 chassis crown vics.

If I were you, I would take a look here: http://www.nasaaz.com/new-driver/hpde-rules/
HPDE events are single handedly the greatest resource to learn to drive YOUR car faster.
They aren't as cheap as drag racing, but for the price, you get an instructor telling you what to do every step of the way. And, depending on your insurance, these are EDUCATION events, not races, and some companies will cover you if you wad the car up for some reason (unlikely, but it has happened).

There is no greater fun than purposefully underclassing your entry and giving newbs in porsches and ferarris an ego smashing as you force them to point you by and pass them on corner exit.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Both previous posts sum up the majority of your options. Budget, as with most things, will be the biggest factor. HPDE's would be my first choice for two reasons. Frist, is the one on one track instruction. Secondly, your using your own car and experiencing it on a track. Theres also a lot you can do for yourself before getting on the track, like reading over the basics of driving and car control, understanding the racing line and becoming proficient with your heel toe downshifts (just to name a few). This kind of off track preparation will allow you to make the most of your time on the track. Good luck and kudos to you for recognizing that the best modification you can do to get the most out a car is to become a better driver!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
ETK

Organizations like Speed Ventures offer affordable (~150-300) track days, and they will provide a free instructor for your first couple sessions. They will try to help you go fast, but their primary goal is to keep you on the track. (Being safe and going fast actually require a lot of the same skills. You need to know the braking points, proper apexes, etc.) Is there an equivalent organization in AZ?

I think these events are less formal than HPDEs, but honestly I don't really know the difference since I haven't been to an official HPDE.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
omgitsweasel

HPDEs are usually broken down into 4 classes. HPDE 1 is almost always with an instructor, no passing. Usually more of a hands on class than a hot lap session.
HPDE 2 is mostly the same, but point-by passing on straights only.
HPDE 3 is point-bys anywhere on track, option to run without an instructor.
HPDE 4 is practically open lapping with open passing at any point in the track. This is where situations get hairy. I have been classed into HPDE 4, but I prefer to run HPDE 3 because of the few bad apples that think its a race that make it dangerous for others.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Seat time, the most you can get.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed with most here. Find a HPDE organization in your area. They are not expensive and you get a lot of seat time and great real world instruction.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

This thread has some thoughtful advise and I agree with all of them. Keep in mind that Solo (autocross) will help teach you on-the-edge driving up to 40-50 MPH and you'll definitely be learning to shift, brake and accelerate in a relatively safe atmosphere. Track days (HPDE, PDXs, etc.) usually start at 40 MPH and go up from there rapidly, so things happen quickly for a novice. Depending on what model Z33 you have, you'll need better brakes to partake for long. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info here.

Dedicated pro schools are a great resource and can teach the basics well. They are expensive ($3-5K and up) and cost more if you use their equipment. Many on this board (including me) couldn't afford them when we were younger, so we used autocross, HPDEs, time trials and racing as our schools.

The OP is on the right track in stating the Z is a car needs to be driven properly. Keep that attitude and use these suggestions to begin developing the myriad of skills you'll need, now and into your motorsports future.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:02 AM
lotteman

I'm not a great driver by any means. If anything I'm still a beginner. However, one thing i cant stress enough to other newbies is seat time, seat time and seat time. Go to the track/autox as much as your schedule and wallet allow. You'll not only grow in skill but you'll also find your own style of driving and build self confidence in your skills. Another GREAT piece of advice i've gotten is to make friends with as many experienced drivers as you can. Ask them for advice, ask to sit shotgun in their car, ask them to sit shotgun in your car. Every little bit helps and ALWAYS remember that street racing/ canyon driving is never a substitute for the track or autox.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Another item I can never stress enough. NEVER turn down instruction. Too many let their Egos get in the way of a great free opportunity. Having a set of experienced eyes and ears in the car can be invaluable. Even the pros have coaches.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM
SanMarinoBeauty

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Seat time, the most you can get.
Aside from seat time, I have found autocross to be amazing with many people willing to teach. Either SCCA or local groups. Also Evolution School WWW.evoschool.com is a reasonably priced option for driving your own car. That's on my list for this year! HPDE to follow Evo.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Keep in mind that Solo (autocross) will help teach you on-the-edge driving up to 40-50 MPH and you'll definitely be learning to shift, brake and accelerate in a relatively safe atmosphere.
This varies from venue to venue.

Last weekend, I ran out of third gear on course (Just shy of the rev limiter). Last month's course was tighter/slower though. A few hours north of our venue, a Corvette club sets up courses even faster. (My brother and I got deep into 4th gear when we ran his STi at one of those events.)

I don't even remember where my brother's mini tops out in 2nd gear. But it's a 5 speed and we used all of 2nd at the Dixie match tour. (I'm guessing 60-ish?)

We even used 3rd in the mini on the test and tune course for the same event.

No matter what sport you choose, seek out people who drive better than you and ask them for advice/instruction.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 04-08-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
kfoote

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Agreed with most here. Find a HPDE organization in your area. They are not expensive and you get a lot of seat time and great real world instruction.
NASA Arizona is the group to run with in AZ from everything that I have heard. I have a few contacts that run with them regularly that have said it's the best group in the area. (link above in omgitsweasel's post)