Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

ST/SU Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 01:54 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

If your still running the VQ motor you likely want to keep the ECU, it kinda runs the motor...
Old 11-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by armt350z
If your still running the VQ motor you likely want to keep the ECU, it kinda runs the motor...
Haha I meant ditching the bcm not ecm... not my first rodeo
Old 11-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Dblock55

Speaker box is out, started tearing into harness..
Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 AM
armt350z

Originally Posted by Dblock55
Haha I meant ditching the bcm not ecm... not my first rodeo
My bad it was a holiday drunk post on my part so I might have got a little snarky.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:18 AM
Dblock55

My bad it was a holiday drunk post on my part so I might have got a little snarky.
No worries... too much time with in laws dies that to me
Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Thought I'd go back to your original question(s) on roll cages and provide some suggestions. It's been over two decades since I had an Autopower built for a car and there's several reasons why. While the materials are good and the general design sound, Autopower cages are built for a universal fit. That means the fit and protection is only so-so IMO. And 'so-so' doesn't quite cut it, particularly when your health and welfare (if not your very life) are at risk.

A custom cage will be stronger and offer better ergonomics for racing. Among some of the advantages I can think of are:

-Custom building the two side braces of the cage to take advantage of the extra room afforded by gutting the doors. Broken ribs from making contact with these bars will make you glad you spent a few bucks here.
-Fitting the race seat is critical to helping you drive efficiently and is just as important in terms of locating the shoulder harnesses properly (need to be at a 90 degree angle or slightly less) to prevent spinal compression.
-Properly gusseting and welding in the cage mounts will keep the cage from punching through the floor pan in the event you go over. It's happened before and resulted in partial or full paralysis. You want to walk away from any crash.
-The Z has a strong roof, but a mandrel-bent main roll hoop will take advantage of the natural contours and save a few precious inches of headroom that'll help in entry and egress.

Interview several race car shops in your area, talk to the welder about the project and become very familiar with the specs required for your cage. Don't assume they are knowledgable with them, as they probably build oval track, drag racing, etc. cages in their normal course of business. So spend the money on a good custom rollcage, built to fit YOU. And budget just a few bucks extra to have them properly locate and install both your race seat and detachable steering wheel mount while the Z is in their shop.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

BTW- here's a good shot of a properly boxed in rollcage mount on my SCCA Touring Z:

Notice how it's properly integrated into that section of the floor pan and MIG-welded on all four sides. It's spread the load out over a greater area than a small mounting plate that gets bolted or welded to the floor. Granted, I needed to go back after a few years and rustproof and paint it, but that's on me.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Dblock55

Originally Posted by dkmura
BTW- here's a good shot of a properly boxed in rollcage mount on my SCCA Touring Z:

Notice how it's properly integrated into that section of the floor pan and MIG-welded on all four sides. It's spread the load out over a greater area than a small mounting plate that gets bolted or welded to the floor. Granted, I needed to go back after a few years and rustproof and paint it, but that's on me.
Noted... thanks for the advice... I removed the passenger door brace since no one will be sitting there, I kept the drivers side one... if I have the roll cage in would u still recommend keeping it? Seems like an extra layer of protection, but takes away a few inches for roll cage...
Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Dblock55
Noted... thanks for the advice... I removed the passenger door brace since no one will be sitting there, I kept the drivers side one... if I have the roll cage in would u still recommend keeping it? Seems like an extra layer of protection, but takes away a few inches for roll cage...
Seems like you're going all out for weight reduction and in the process, are eliminating many racing class options. Since that's the case, I hope you have LOTS of money and can build (or have built) some composite doors to reduce weight.

I've considered that as one step for racing in the SCCA Touring 1 class, but would have difficulty matching the budgets of teams competing there.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:33 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like you're going all out for weight reduction and in the process, are eliminating many racing class options. Since that's the case, I hope you have LOTS of money and can build (or have built) some composite doors to reduce weight.

I've considered that as one step for racing in the SCCA Touring 1 class, but would have difficulty matching the budgets of teams competing there.
There is plenty of places for him to play, but yes, for SCCA he is going to have to spend $texas to lose at this point.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
There is plenty of places for him to play, but yes, for SCCA he is going to have to spend $texas to lose at this point.
Actually, it's not just SCCA, Spec Z is also out, but both SCCA and NASA will find a place for him to race. It's just difficult competing race-in-and race-out with cars that have such advantages. Ask me how I know...
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Proposed P/W & Avg for TT/ST3 for 2016 makes it the go to class for the Z IMO. The proposed rule changes will really neuter the vettes that were already detuned and overweight. It isn't all that competitive in any form in SCCA Touring and Spec Z is dying already.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Dblock55

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Proposed P/W & Avg for TT/ST3 for 2016 makes it the go to class for the Z IMO. The proposed rule changes will really neuter the vettes that were already detuned and overweight. It isn't all that competitive in any form in SCCA Touring and Spec Z is dying already.
Yea, been hearing that about spec z which is why I didn't care to get into it...

Stripped the wire harness to bare essentials today... even more actually, accidentally snipped the white module out of the loop then when hooked harbess back up realized it pretty much runs the tacho!!! Spent 3 hours repinning everything... amateur mistake! Going to clean up the cuts tomorrow and start cutting out the stuck sound proofing material. Lexan windows go in after that then install seat/rail and off to the cage shop it goes.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Dblock55

Has anyone had any experience with topracingshop.com? They seem to be based in Poland? Prices are unbeatable!!!! Saeems to good to be true.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:50 AM
armt350z

Interesting, I'm in Germany and have never seen them represented at any events here which is odd. Normally at the german events you see most of the companies from Poland, Austria, Switzerland, France and Czech.

What are you specifically looking for?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Dblock55

Interesting, I'm in Germany and have never seen them represented at any events here which is odd. Normally at the german events you see most of the companies from Poland, Austria, Switzerland, France and Czech.

https://www.topracingshop.com/product-eng-9037-2015-Sparco-SPRINT-V-Black-Tubular-Frame-Rally-Seat.googleshoppingus.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4eqyBRDUh7Omv9vCtso BEiQAspfs8mbX1tJeqC4xtiOMzEblaQ8OBNxAf_a1xUxY1i7KdTQaAvbo8P8 HAQ
Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Dblock55

Seems like all sparco equipment is way cheaper in europe... guessing it's a tax thing.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Dblock55

No one ehhhh
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I try not to deal with racing vendors that are based in other countries. Makes it difficult to get any help if a purchase goes south.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I try not to deal with racing vendors that are based in other countries. Makes it difficult to get any help if a purchase goes south.
This.

Quick Reply: ST/SU Build