Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The EverythingVQ.com G35 Dedicated Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 10:12 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Day two cranked-up the intensity as we started revealing more racecraft. Mr. Pettiford had another student (who was a long term friend) who wanted instruction on a slightly modified c7 zo6. So he split time between us and while they were off turning laps it gave me time to slow things down and focus on optimal cornering, entry/exit strategy, eye targeting, and overall just getting more seat time (becoming more comfortable on the track). The other student also shadowed me and offered up guidance as well from his perspective (ususally behind me) and it gave me an opportunity to having some in my rearview & sideview mirrors.

I did a few hotlaps with what I’ve learned thus far (on the afternoon of Day Two) and took 7 seconds off my time - put down a 2:25 time. Much better cornering/entry/exit, I was holding top speed down the long straight, I was pushing the car harder (taking the engine to 6500 to 6700rpm) and just generally not making mistakes.

We also did the ‘cat & mouse’ game where I followed him and (did my best) to chase him down and switched roles and I took the lead and he chased me down … it wasnt really a fair fight between his experience and his solstice he was catching me at-will but it was a good exercise on how to gain and take competitors who drive sloppy or make mistakes … which he did (intentionally) to test me and my recognition of their driving discipline and when and where to be aggressive and when to take it easy. This exercise was my first real competitive driving where you dont allow room for the person in front of you and passing was encouraged at any point.

We did two rounds of the cat & mouse game and then discussed in the classroom. The other student had very good insight from the back of the pack.

Wrapped up the day (as mentioned this other studen and Mr. Pettiford are long time buddies) with the student leading with a well suited (sticky tires, cammed, throttle assistance, traction control dialed down) z06 leading Mr. Pettiford in his T2 turbo’d solstice (315hp/420ft-lbs/2900lbs). I rode in the Solstice and it was a very good lesson on how to drive competitively and aside from two (possibly 3) straights the solstice(experience of Mr. Pettiford) could have taken the vette in any segment of the track. It was a very good lesson on how to drive to get the best lap times and very different from the gentlemen driving that I’ve been exposed to with my other mentor.

Last edited by bealljk; 10-03-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2024 | 10:47 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Day three started out pretty good - got the cars situated, fueled, checked and took them out for warm-up and hot laps. I had some time on my own while Mr. P worked with the same student in the vette and I probably did 15 to 20 laps … a mix of 50% to 100% to further reinforce the racing line and on turns I wasnt comfortable on to take them slow and further learn them. HPR has a handful of variable radius turns along with quick left-right-left turns where if you botch the first turn it usually tanks the next two.

We reconvened and started talking about qualifying - all pretty straight forward and then did a mock-qualifying session. I took a warm-up lap, got three hot laps, and a cool down lap. It was earlier in the morning and temps were in the 50s to 60s so it was nice but I knew traction wouldnt be optimal. I was also making mistakes by overdriving the car. So told myself to have a good warm-up, and to just focus on hitting entries and exits, eye-targetting, pushing the engine, and just have fun with it. All three of my times were 2minutes and 22seconds … my best was 2/100ths faster than the day before. Was very happy with this and I knew I was still making (smaller) mistakes and the car still needs better tires, respectable brakes, real suspension, a better exhaust, etc - but still happy with pushing the time down.

We had some classroom time to talk about race-starting. Pretty interesting stuff and went over strategy or procedures. Did a session of mock-starts and a simulated 5 lap race. We took 3/4 of a warm-up lap and then lined-up how they’d do in scca. We did two single lap races with a mock start and the 3rd mock start was the ‘leave them for dead’ race where you just go go go for 3 laps. Mr. P was in a Mazda Speed 6 (as opposed to the solstice) and despite have a slightly larger engine, more power, more torque, rwd vs. fwd he pretty much stomped me on the laps. There were a few that I held my own but he is soooo experienced and so good that it was hard to take him. Hopefully will be a better experience once I get better components on the car.

We had some classroom time to eat and we did the mock-start and ‘leave them for dead’ race a second time and Mr. P pulled some tricks, made some intentional mistakes (to test me) and took advantage of my mistakes as well. The second session was much better and I had improvements … still got my butt kicked but it was a great learning experience. I also started feeling more comfortable around other cars at higher speeds and at technical driving.

More to come - I believe I can get back out on Wednesday October 9 for Day 4 (but I gotta move some stuff around for work and need a day or so to do upkeep on the car).

He did mention that Day 5 could be a Open Lapping Days and I wouldnt mind purchasing a 6th day to drive against him in another similarly outfitted car (such as the Mazda 6 or one of his NA Solstices) and do more of these mock driving scenarios, as they are very good training material

Last edited by bealljk; 10-03-2024 at 10:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bealljk:
Dr Hoon (10-06-2024), thekinn (10-07-2024)