Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:47 AM
blinkygab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade

i'm doing some research into upgrading the suspension, and decided to go with Konis, Hotchski sways, and *possibly* springs.

I'm deciding whether I should get the H.TECH springs to go with the KONI or just stay with stock springs, and need your imput on this.

I don't really want to "drop" the car, I think the stock height is just fine. But if the H.TECHs will make the ride smoother, an additional $155 will be well worth it for me.

Will the H.TECH make the car ride smoother than stocks, even with the KONIs already in?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:51 AM
kbirdsong

The H Techs do make the ride smoother, i have them, but i do still have stock shocks.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
ezee

I have the H.techs and the Konis, the ride is excellent.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:32 PM
ZinMiami

In my opinion and from reading through many posts, the Hotchkis sways and springs are best when paired with each other. The Hotchkis TVS Suspension kit with the Konis would give you a very good handling improvement while retaining an acceptable ride quality. The springs will also provide a moderate drop of no more that .7".

I have the TVS kit but kept the stock shocks for now since the car only has 4000 miles on it. I am very happy with my results. When the stock shocks give out I'll look into Konis.

Good Luck

Last edited by ZinMiami; 12-20-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Road Warrior

imo....go with coilovers....better off in the long run and they are designed to work together (shock and spring)...and you can adjust the height too
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM
blinkygab

thanks for the feedback guys.
i read your review, ezee, which prompted me to go this route with the suspension. thanks for chiming in.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Autobahn

Default Suspension Upgrade

I too was looking at a similar setup. A couple of days ago I purchased the Hotchkis adjustable sways. Settings are currently at medium/medium for the front and rear. I have to say this is one of the best mods I've done to my car (second only to the Super Charger). The improvement was very noticeable the first time I took it on the freeway. Lateral stabilty was noticeably improved without sacrificing driveabilty. All I have to say is "Wow". For anyone considering a suspension mods I would say get some type of sway bar improvement. Best deal for the $$$'s

I'll be taking the car to WillowSprings late January and see how it does on the track.

I'm still debating whether or not to get the Koni's. Seems like a lot of money and I'm not sure what will actually be improved. If it got rid of the highway "bounce" or porposing (sp?) it might be worth it. I would welcome additional comments on the benefit of Koni's from any of you out there.

As far as springs I'm not really interested in lowering the car. If srpings provided an alternative solution for the bounce I would get them. I'm waiting for the Greddy side skirts and I didn't want to give up too much in the way of ground clearance.

On a related topic has anyone heard of Nissan doing ANYTHING to fix the '03 bounce problem? I had read somewhere that late model 2004's and 2005's didn't have the same problem (different springs and shocks?).

Thanks,

Autobahn

Old 12-20-2004, 06:45 PM
ezee

I would also recommend the Hotchkis bars, but if you install them spend a few extra bucks and have the collars installed, too. They help to stablize the bars by limiting lateral movement during cornering. If you do a search you may find pictures of them installed. The collars can be ordered from www.mcmaster.com, you'll need 2 each:

15/16" collar part# 6436K141, $6.73 ea.
1 3/8" collar part# 6436K146, $9.05 ea.

I noticed a big difference after installing these, they really tightened up turnin, sharpened steering response, and eliminated a clunking sound during hard cornering.

Have the shocks, springs and bars installed together to save on installation, you'll be happily amazed at the difference in the ride and handling of your Z.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:15 PM
ZinMiami

The Hotchkis springs will negate the rear end bounce. I know because I have the TVS kit on my Z. As for the collars, I have been under the car several times since the sways went in and I can see no evidence of lateral movement. Perhaps I don't drive it hard enough. No clunking noises either. YMMV