Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help me choose my brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 04:31 PM
alininger2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me choose my brake pads

It's just about time to replace my brake pads. I am very happy with the performance of the stock pads. The only thing I don't like about them is the dust. I am thinking to either go with Hawk HPS pads or use the OEM pads. I would like a pad with the same performance of the oem pads, but with less dust, preferably a pad that doesn't make alot of noise. Any ideas guys?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Hawk HPS.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:34 PM
alininger2001

Thanks, I was hoping you would reply. You have to take the backing plates off of the oem pads and put them on the hawks right? Do the backing plates come off easy?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:12 AM
parboy

I've been very happy with the stillen metal matrix pads from mvpmotorsports.com I replaced the fronts only due the dust from the stock pads. I washed the car 2 weeks ago, have driven it every day, and don't notice any brake dust on the wheels. No squealing with these pads either. Braking feels as good or better than stock.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM
stumpmj

I'd suggest Carbotech Bobcats. No noise, almost no dust (the least I've ever seen) and more braking power than the stock or Hawk HPS pads. The only downside is they're kind of pricey.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Endless SSS are also a great pad
Old 01-30-2005, 10:59 AM
alininger2001

Hey guys, i went with the hawk hps pads. I needed them in a hurry and was able to get them at a local shop. I did the break in procedure a couple of times and they don't make any noise. I don't think the pads have as much initial bite. This seems pretty good because my braking coming into the turns is smoother. Do you think the Hawk HPS pads have the same stopping power/distance as the OEM pads.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM
stumpmj

I don't hink they have the same stopping power as the OEM pads which is why I stopped using them for street pads. I just use them for the back brakes on the track since they're cheap and they seem to last awhile.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
J Ritt

Stopping power is a meaningless term...get it out of your heads!!

You have to think about coefficient of friction (interpreted as pad bite), and heat capacity.

Yes, the HPS has both a higher coefficient of friction and heat capacity than the stock pads. That means you will have a bit more pad bite, and they will hold up better to prolonged use. Also, coefficient of friction as reported by pad suppliers is sort of meaningless. Each pad has a different torque curve as it is applied. In other words, some pads begin to bite sooner, and ramp up in bite more quickly than others...then some just fall off dramatically. Tons of variables involved that you don't really need to worry about to be honest.

Assuming the same tires, stopping distances with either stock or HPS will be very similar. Stopping distances with ANY brake system that is properly designed will be similar to stock...and at best, only a few feet better. Stopping distance is ALWAYS limited by the traction capacity of the tires. If you want shorter stopping distances, buy stickier tires.

I've posted this before, but here it is again. I should put it in my Signature!

Pad Choice
Many of our customers ask us, "Which brake pads are best for my vehicle?" Unfortunately, there is no single clear-cut answer. Different driving conditions require different types of friction, as there is no single pad that works optimally under all conditions. There will always be a compromise in at least one area of operation. You need to ask yourself which of the following issues are most important to your particular driving style.

1. COLD STOPPING PERFORMANCE. How well does the pad grip on the first stop when the system is at ambient temperature?
2. HOT STOPPING PERFORMANCE. How does the pad react at higher temperatures, such as on a road course? Rotor and pad temperatures typically exceed 1000 F on road course
3. PAD LIFE. How long will the pads last in a given driving environment?
4. ROTOR LIFE. How aggressive is the pad on the rotor, and will it groove the surface?
5. NOISE. Does the pad squeal? High performance pads will always have some noise.
6. DUST. How much dust does the pad generate, and how easy is it to clean?
7. COST. Is the pad affordable compared to how it performs?

Street Pads vs. Race Pads
If you must run one pad on both the street and road course, you will have to compromise performance in one way or another on all of the variables in the list above. Road course and street use place different demands on the friction material of any brake system, and you should choose accordingly. A pad that is designated as a "street pad" is typically composed of materials designed to work cold, and inherent in this pad composition is a limited temperature range. Due to the less aggressive composition, a street pad does not wear a rotor as quickly, makes less noise, and tends to cost less than a race pad. On the other hand, a "race" or "track" pad may never reach its optimal temperature range during street use, which may compromise cold stopping distances. The typically high metal content in a race pad wears rotors more quickly, generates noise and dust, and usually costs more than a street pad. Therefore, StopTech recommends swapping street pads in favor of race pads before each road course event. The system will need to be bed-in after a race pad is swapped in, and again when the street pads are re-installed. Please check our website at www.StopTech.com for bedding instructions, availability, and pricing on various street and race pad compounds for your vehicle.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 AM
alininger2001

Thanks, that clears things up alot. To me the brakes felt different after the new pads were put in, after I drove around a few days in different weather conditions I've decided that I really like the new pads thanks for the reccomendation. When the rear pads need replaced should I get hawks for the rears?