Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech Brake problem solved Thanks to Performance Nissan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 AM
jmcmorante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Brake problem solved Thanks to Performance Nissan!

Just received bad news!!! Well if you read the link below:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/124591-a-day-at-the-stoptech-factory-and-test-drive.html

You will find out the entire story where my brakes (Stoptech's) where not braking properly since the pedal was traveling many inches and just falling through before braking.

The bad news is thatt the cause of the problems was found to be aftermarket electronical components. What? You may be wondering. Well I have two electrical aftermarket components:

1) Alpine Stereo
2) Gauge Cluster

It seems that one of those was wired to the electrical cable and components of the ABS, and it was causing an overvoltage causing the ABS not to engage at all and messing up the whole braking sequence. Well Im extremely happy the cause was found after months of searching for the cause but the bad new is that the dealer was originally going to do it as warranty but since it is caused by aftermarket components then I will have to pay a portion of the costs. At least 4-6 hours of labor. OUCH! OUCH! Thats more than my flywheel install. Im not complaining, since if it is indeed the aftermarket components then I accept responsability but it hurts never the less.

The manager just tolled me that I will get a call later in the afternoon with the exact amount since Im also having the sway bars from Stillen installed.

I hate to write so long of a thread but I would like to have it known that I have never been as gratefull as I'am now with a dealer, Performance Nissan in Duarte. From the moment they realized that my brakes, which is important, had a problem they straight out advised me that whatever the problem they would resolve it and THEY DID!!!.

Jeff Hess the parts manager was nothing but WONDERFUL in getting the ball rolling for me and also the sugegstions received from JASON & TONY in the Nismo parts Division were helpful as well. On the, service side Javier, the service manager was more than willing to cooperate as much as he can in order to resolve my problem. He is usually in meetings all day and it is hard to get in touch with him but he took the time to go on several test drives with me and also with his technicians when they test drove as well. We was willing to work in my car and oversee the whole operation more than the owner of the dealer would have cared for propably. My thanks go to all the team of Performance Nissan and my gratitude for their service and kind hospitality will never be forgotten. I know for sure where my Z will be going for every major or minor mod I do.

Thank you very much to you Performance Nissan in Duarte, Ca. (Thank you Jeff Hess, Jason, Tony, and specially Javier the Service Manager.

I will be writting a letter to Nissan headquarters to let them know that this dealer has been and continues to keep the Nissan name up high.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, they do their best to make sure the tuner guys are well taken care of.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:01 PM
jmcmorante

Cant finish being amazed at their Service!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Whew...I'm glad you tracked the issue down! I'll make sure to let Matt know.

It sounds like you handled this situation extremely well overall, and I think everyone on the board can take not of that fact. You were level-headed and persistant in getting the issues resolved. You didn't bash the vendors, dealer, etc., and you explored all routes for a solution. It is refreshing to have a customer act in this manner. Unfortunately, the more common response from customers is to start pointing fingers, badmouthing products, etc. It is a sensitive issue...we all love our cars, and they cost us a lot of money to enjoy and maintain. As long as all parties involved keep that in mind and remain patient, it usually works out for everyone.

Also, props to Performance Nissan for a job well done...they are a great crew.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
jmcmorante

Yes Ritt, im finally happy issue was resolved. Also my props to you guys and also to Matt you invited me over to you rfactory a whole entire morning to try to solve my issues. No other manufacturer would have done that, you guys are top on my list and would recommend Stoptech products with out hesitation.

Yes please, inform Matt about the issue. I will try to give him a call after I pick up my car to thank him again now that the issues have been resolved.

Your products are great and combined with Performance Nissan who have behaved like you guys wonderful I'am one happy customer who will now take the time to enjoy my baby (Z) and make up for all the days she was in the hospital (dealer). LOL.

Thanks Everyone.

Jorge
Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
jmcmorante

By the way, I would like to know if anyone else had this just to find out.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:23 PM
cehome

I'll venture a guess and say the alpine stereo was not the culprit. How would you even get close to connection a head unit to abs cables?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
jmcmorante

Well the issue started after the Alpine was Installed and after the Gauges got installed it just worsen. Now I have come to find out the gauges were on the stereo cable which was to the ABS. Im sure Performance is not lying. I would bough for them. Really! and I dont put my hands on the fire for anyone but in this case I would.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:04 PM
jmcmorante

Finally for sure I will pick up the car tomorrow around noon. baby is coming back home with new sway bars from Stillen. Looking forward to it after we have been separated for so long.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Whew...I'm glad you tracked the issue down!
Whoa Jeff long time no see on the boards...The last time we spoke was at Clint's place when we went to go see the fireworks....

Jorge glad you problem is resolved with the brakes. I was wondering if you were going to continue driving the Z like that.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 PM
jmcmorante

What do you mean like that? I drive my baby with love. LOL By the way Skar let me know when you want to schedule the test drive of the Invidia G2 exhaust for you. Whenever you are free is you still want to. My guy may not be able to beat your guys price I think but at least you will test drive and know what you are buying. Oh and yes my friend said yes for the editing issue.

PS: Thanks to you I liked the short shifter and I got tempted and ordered one. Yours is B&M right?Never mind it is I saw your sig. Im so gone. ha ha ha . Im countign the hours guys to get my baby back tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah you driving the car with no braking power worried me as we had spoken on saturday. My short shifter is a B&M but you should have driven my car longer to really get the feel of it as it feels easier to shift when you are rolling rather than at low speeds...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM
jmcmorante

I was scared to drive someone elses car with out a license. LOL I should be getting my license back this Wednesday finally. But yeah Skar I really thank you for being kind and letting me drive it.

Regarding the brakes yeah you are right I was scared to. The manager today at the dealer said car is ready but wanted to keep it till tomorrow to make sure since he got a into a real scary moment when he was testing it with the tech where the car almost didnt stop. I thank God he didnt hit anything or hurt someone or himself. But hey its fixed and is coming back with new toys. Hope to get together again soon to chat. Maybe do a cruise.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Glad to hear everything got taken care of!

Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
jmcmorante

Baby is back!! Feels so good! Is like new. Brakes feel wonderful. Also new sway bars are great from Stillen.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Vertex350

Props to stoptech too for going the extra mile for their customer service.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
jmcmorante

Agree with you Rommel. Im extremely satisfied with them for their concern and also to Performance Service Manager, Javier, who treated the car like if it was his own. Thanks to everybody.

Baby is back!!!! Im so so happy! Now we have to go cruise away our lost times.