Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

best swaybars for the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
03Screamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best swaybars for the track

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a set of swaybars for my Z and need some help deciding on what to get. I plan to track my Z quite a bit, so I'm looking for something targeted more towards track use. Currently I have TEIN flex's but might upgrade to ZEAL's down the road. I'll also be running 275/305 RA1's. Anyway, I would get the 350EVO bars, but unfortunately are unattainable at the moment. The Nismo T2's with the adjustable endlinks are nice, but a little pricey. The Cusco's seem pretty good for the money, but lack adjustability in the rear, which is kind of a hit or miss in setting a car up for different tracks. I can get the Hotchkis for really cheap, but I've read they are oriented more towards the street (not all that stiff). Anyway, I was wondering what you guys suggest, maybe from your experiences or what not. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
ActionJackson

From all the reviews I've seen I'd say Hotchkis, but don't forget to get the collars!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
From all the reviews I've seen I'd say Hotchkis, but don't forget to get the collars!
Curious, are the Hotchkis ones the only sways that "need" the collars?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 PM
ActionJackson

I think so, but collars will run about $40-50 so it's not really all that expensive.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
I think so, but collars will run about $40-50 so it's not really all that expensive.
Thanks for the info...

Just trying to gather info to determine which set Im going to go with...Nismo, Cusco, or Hotchkis.. I too will be doing occasional track use, but this will also be a daily driver
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 AM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my cusco sways arrives this week.. i will let u know how it goes
Old 01-30-2006, 04:30 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
Thanks for the info...

Just trying to gather info to determine which set Im going to go with...Nismo, Cusco, or Hotchkis.. I too will be doing occasional track use, but this will also be a daily driver
Cusco is too stiff if you are planning on aftermarket coilovers with stiffer springs. Hotchkis starts out a +100% in the rear, its plenty stiff. I tracked them 20+ track days and can vouch for their performance. If you can get your hands on a set of 350EVO sways, thats probably the best setup.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:38 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

whoever told you hotchkis arent that stiff is high! there really stiff for the street set at med/med!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

I just put in a set of stillen bars yesterday, with some prothane bushings as well. On the plus side, there were already collars on the bar, so I didn't have to buy those. On the downside, stillen says to re-use the rubber bushings, so the prothane ones were an extra $45. However, with both bars set on medium, there is nearly no body roll, even in hard slaloms and transitions (I was slaloming the reflectors on the road at 55 mph). Turn in is definitely better as well. I'm sure that if I set them to full stiff whatever was left of the body roll would be gone. Didn't notice any reduction in ride quality either. I know the stillen bars were never popular because they were pretty expensive for a while, but the price has come down and I think they are pretty decent.

Just for the record, this is in conjunction with tanabe GF210 springs.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The answer to any "what is the best sway bar for the track" question really has two answer's.

1. You have either worked the car's roll stiffness first with springs and you now need to fine tune the at the limit balance to get what you need. Or you have a oem setup that your trying to alter the at the limit balance. In either case, the best bar setup is the one that is adjustable as to allow said fine tuning to take place, has collar's or the ability to add them, has a price point that you feel is justified and comes from a brand name you trust. Meaning you'll be taking your pick of several bar brands that are adjustable front and rear and NOT chasing IMO suspect bar stiffness claims.

2. You are specifically after the highest front bar strength level's you can find because specific sanctioning rules forbid you from taking another other course of action in regards to ironing out the dynamics of the chassis. IMO, this mean's CT-1, EVO350, then Hotchkis. (The CT-1 is a front bar only, you'll have to buy your own rear bar setup, not totally sure if it ever went into production as I never got my email notice that it did).
Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 AM
first350

+1 for Hotchkis. I have mine sat at Med/Med and the car handles great! (I got the TVS 1 kit). The car feels much more neutral around corners.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM
03Screamer

Thanks for the advice guys! The Hotchkis bars sound pretty good.