17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Stoptech BBK

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference in the calipers for the newer Z/G models is piston sizes to accomodate the changes made by the factory. They will still be ST40, ST45, ST22 or ST60 calipers. Our existing kits are not compatible with the newer models (they will bolt up but balance will not be ideal) since their torque output is too low and will shift the brake bias too rearward for our liking. There is also the possibility to negatively affect ABS performance. The new piston sizes are a better match for the stock rear brakes and keep torque output in the range that allows ABS to function correctly. If you look at our catalogs, there is a new part number for the 05+ G35s and 06+ 350Zs.

-Erik-

Last edited by StopTech; 02-11-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Gary King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StopTech
The only difference in the calipers for the newer Z/G models is piston sizes to accomodate the changes made by the factory. They will still be ST40, ST45, ST22 or ST60 calipers. Our existing kits are not compatible with the newer models (they will bolt up but balance will not be ideal) since their torque output is too low and will shift the brake bias too rearward for our liking. There is also the possibility to negatively affect ABS performance. The new piston sizes are a better match for the stock rear brakes and keep torque output in the range that allows ABS to function correctly. If you look at our catalogs, there is a new part number for the 05+ G35s and 06+ 350Zs.
Stop Tech Rules!!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hi Gary!

-Erik-
Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 AM
myG35zx

Why no Stage 2 upgrade for the 05 and up G's?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

At this point the Axxis Ult compound is not available for the front calipers so we cannot offer a stage 2 kit for it. Other than that, the rear pads, front and rear rotors and front and rear lines are avialable.

-Erik-

Last edited by StopTech; 02-13-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

The only difference in the calipers for the newer Z/G models is piston sizes to accomodate the changes made by the factory. They will still be ST40, ST45, ST22 or ST60 calipers.
So there are calipers with the same part number but different piston sizes? That seems hard to believe. How would you make sure you have the correct caliper? There must be some sort of secondary caliper part number.

Our existing kits are not compatible with the newer models (they will bolt up but balance will not be ideal) since their torque output is too low and will shift the brake bias too rearward for our liking. There is also the possibility to negatively affect ABS performance. The new piston sizes are a better match for the stock rear brakes and keep torque output in the range that allows ABS to function correctly.
Wow, this is good to know. I'm glad I found this out before I bought a set.

If you look at our catalogs, there is a new part number for the 05+ G35s and 06+ 350Zs.
Good tip on the new StopTech catalogs. I downloaded the new Brochure and Catalog from your web site. I find them much friendlier than hunting through your web site.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by __jb
So there are calipers with the same part number but different piston sizes? That seems hard to believe. How would you make sure you have the correct caliper? There must be some sort of secondary caliper part number.
There is. All of our calipers essentailly start as blanks which we machine the piston bores to match an application. An ST40 caliper for example can have any piston combination from 28-28mm up to 44-44mm giving us dozens of possibilities with regards to torque output. We also have dozens of piston size combinations with our 6 psiton calipers as well. This is the major benefit that we have over our competitors allowing us to tailor brake balance specifically to fit an application.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

There is. All of our calipers essentailly start as blanks which we machine the piston bores to match an application. An ST40 caliper for example can have any piston combination from 28-28mm up to 44-44mm giving us dozens of possibilities with regards to torque output. We also have dozens of piston size combinations with our 6 psiton calipers as well. This is the major benefit that we have over our competitors allowing us to tailor brake balance specifically to fit an application.
So the ST-40 number is basically used to denote the number of pistons and the brake pads the caliper accepts? Is the other number stamped on the caliper so that someone (me) can determine which caliper it is?

Are these '05 G35 four wheel kits available for sale now?

Do the rear brakes use the OEM parking brake?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Correct...ST40 is sort of a generic term for our standard 4 piston caliper body, even though there are a variety of piston sizes, 28mm, 32mm and 35mm caliper widths and varying clearance cuts that are performed to the caliper surfaces for wheel clearance, mouting location and caliper stiffness. There is a stamp on the caliper that we can use to determine what calipers are installed but short of measuring the piston diameters, you would not be able to tell what exact caliper you have without our help.

We are now taking orders for the 05+ G35 and 06+ 350Z kits, but the parts have not yet finished production. We are expecting them to be ready for shipping near the end of this month.

The factory drum style parking brake is maintained and requires no modifications.

-Erik-

Last edited by StopTech; 02-13-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

when you guys gonna have a seperate rear single piston Ebrake for drifters?!!??!!?!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

We have a single piston ST10 caliper used as an e-brake on some cars but it is not suitable for use in drifiting since it just isnt built for those demands.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Hmm, I hope they are here soon! I ordered a set through my local tuner (MAC Autosports in Denver, great guy and great tuner!) and if they get here in time for the next local track even (March 9th), that would be awesome

Dave
Old 02-18-2007, 05:43 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by J Ritt
imalazeeass,
I'm sorry it took so long to get you your brakes! Also, I just want to clear something up...we don't charge a customer credit card until the kit ships out the door. Some of our resellers do this, but we don't. I just want to be very clear on that topic. Anyway, hopefully it was worth the wait.

How long it takes to ship a kit depends on a bunch of factors. The piston size, color, caliper choice, etc. all affects shipment. Depending on the kit specs, you could order a kit today and get it tomorrow, or you could wait weeks. I won't go into all of the details, but I can assure you we're working around the clock to fix this issue.

Lex,
Thanks for your patience. We are doing our best. I think many people know by now, but for those who don't, StopTech was purchased by Centric Parts in March. Details can be found here: http://www.stoptech.com/company_info..._Centric.shtml

We are also going through the toughest time I've seen since I started at StopTech 3 years ago. In May, we shipped out more product than we ever have in a given month...yet we're still fighting tooth and nail to keep up! Everyone says, "that's a good problem to have," which to some extent is true. That said, it's very frustrating to see posts and get phone calls from upset customers and resellers. We are working crazy hours and doing everything we can to service customers. My sales guys are losing their minds dealing with these issues ,but they are a great group and they see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are running multiple manufacturing shifts, and we just bought a bunch of new machinery (some very cool ones at that ). We're also hiring as many good people as we can find to run those machines, so if anybody knows a good machinist looking for work, send them our way! Our new owners also just bought us a new building that is much, much bigger than the one we're in now. I was over there the other week with a couple of our Engineers working on the floorplan, and when I walked into the manufacturing area, my mouth dropped to the floor when I saw how big it is...it's really nuts. We're really excited to get up and running in there.

I guess it's no great consolation to tell those waiting for product that we're sorry, but these issues WILL disappear in the future. We appreciate your patience, and hopefully you can stick with us through this rough spot. Our new mgmt. has a stated goal that we will ship BBK's on the same day that we receive the order. That's what we're working towards, and something that we were never able to do under our old system. It's going to take a little time, but it will happen. The amount of time, energy, and money going into making this happen is obscene, and we are only going to get stronger and stronger moving forward. That means more products, higher quality, faster order fulfillment, better pricing, superior customer service...the list goes on and on.

I also wanted to address one other concern that some people may have regarding the change in ownership at StopTech. Our customers know that StopTech has always been a very performance-oriented brand, and that our employees were enthusiasts just like our customers. That has not changed. With the exception of our former owner/CEO, all of our staff has and will remain intact. In fact, we now have even more hardcore enthusiasts in our organization. Almost all of the mgrs. at our parent company are into racing/tracking their cars. Our new CEO is actually a professional driver in his spare time, and he races in Speed World Challenge touring for TriPoint Mazda. He also won a World Challenge GT race at Portland in a corvette last year. Needless to say, he completely understands what our customers want, and where we need to be going!

I know this probably sounds like the same old story to some people, but it IS happening. Once we get into the new building, we'll hopefully be able to have an open-house for all of our customers and friends, and you guys can see firsthand that I'm not full of sh*t.

Thanks again to our customers for bearing with us, and please realize that we are sensitive to the impact on our fellow enthusiasts.
I know this is an old post but this reply alone curved my decision to get these brakes when i decide to buy..Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Correct...ST40 is sort of a generic term for our standard 4 piston caliper body, even though there are a variety of piston sizes, 28mm, 32mm and 35mm caliper widths and varying clearance cuts that are performed to the caliper surfaces for wheel clearance, mouting location and caliper stiffness. There is a stamp on the caliper that we can use to determine what calipers are installed but short of measuring the piston diameters, you would not be able to tell what exact caliper you have without our help.
So, I could not determine if I had the correct calipers?

The factory drum style parking brake is maintained and requires no modifications.
So, is the rear hat on these rotors aluminum or steel? Does the heat shield still have to be trimmed?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
98sr20ve

We have a single piston ST10 caliper used as an e-brake on some cars but it is not suitable for use in drifiting since it just isnt built for those demands.
Do any of the 332mm 4 Piston kits work with 17's.

Last edited by 98sr20ve; 02-18-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 PM
98sr20ve

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml

I figured I could probably just use the 03 version of the same kit.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Armando

my vote is for Rotora
Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Lex's kit was certainly an anomaly but we did acknowledge the issue and upgraded his order to a 6 piston front setup at no charge as a way to show our gratitude for his patience. I even offered to deliver the kit to him myself as he lives in Orange County which is less than an hour away from us.
Thank you Erik for responding to this thread. I personally own a set of 4 pot 14inch fronts, and am 100% satisifed. I placed my order, via Injected Performance/Marty, and recieved my order withing a reasonable time.
What puzzles me a bit though, are the statements above. The gentleman that order the brakes did not order anthing out of the ordinary other than yellow calipers. Business transition of ownership and facilities or not, does a free upgrade to a 6-pot & personal delivery really compensate for almost a year's wait? The gentleman that ordered the BBK placed his order in April 2006. If StopTech was unable to supply the demand, perhaps the company should have removed "yellow", or any other option for that matter, that they would not be able to fulfill within a reasonable time.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 PM
XxDeliciousxX

so if 06+ zs have different specs than 03-05...would it not be wise to buy a used set from and 03-05 to put on an 06?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 PM
mistico

Originally Posted by XxDeliciousxX
so if 06+ zs have different specs than 03-05...would it not be wise to buy a used set from and 03-05 to put on an 06?
I have the same question as I just put an ST40/ST45 355mm F/R on my car. Could I just get away with a less agressive pad in the rear to take car of the bias?

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK