Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis, D-Specs, or TcKlines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konis, D-Specs, or TcKlines?

i have an 06' base coupe and im wanting to eliminate as much body roll, dive, and squat as possible before this summer. Ill probably be doing some track runs, maybe some autocross, and a lot of running through the dragon so the question is. Tokico D-specs with the springs that come with the kit, Konis with the kit springs, or TcKline revalved Konis with the nismo T2 springs?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
i have an 06' base coupe and im wanting to eliminate as much body roll, dive, and squat as possible before this summer. Ill probably be doing some track runs, maybe some autocross, and a lot of running through the dragon so the question is. Tokico D-specs with the springs that come with the kit, Konis with the kit springs, or TcKline revalved Konis with the nismo T2 springs?
Koni's with what kit springs?

Granted that I know TcKlines are already expensive, for just a little more you can score something that's much better. Truechoice phase IV Koni shocks from their coilover kits. $445, independent rebound and compression like the Tc's, race valving, and shortened cases/piston rods that the Tc's don't have.

I have nothing against the Tokico shock and spring kit, it will be a matter of how much spring you need to meet your goals, maybe 375/375 will do the trick, maybe it will leave you wanting. Only you can figure that one out.

I've been on Koni's with D-spec springs and Koni's with a custom coilover setup in the front with 448/427 rates. In both cases I found the Koni's needed to be shortened even with little to no drop. I'm just installed 560lbs fronts on my Koni's to see if the extra amount of spring will keep me off the bump stops. In the end it's just temporary since I hope to get the Truechoice Phase IV shocks for the front.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
Koni sports with the original springs will work very well.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to extract the added performance of a full race suspension on the street. I'm not juging your skill as a driver here. You simply won't be able to get the tires warm enough to generate the grip levels that a race suspension is designed to cope with.

As a side note, bodyroll, dive and squat aren't inerently "bad" as long as the suspension geometry is built accordingly.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
:I've been on Koni's with D-spec springs and Koni's with a custom coilover setup in the front with 448/427 rates. In both cases I found the Koni's needed to be shortened even with little to no drop. I'm just installed 560lbs fronts on my Koni's to see if the extra amount of spring will keep me off the bump stops. In the end it's just temporary since I hope to get the Truechoice Phase IV shocks for the front.
Are you saying you're hitting the damper's bumpers ?!?!

That should never happen, the suspension members should hit their bumpers before that.

That's a serious issue from the Koni's.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 AM
XuperXero

Can you define bump stops? I'm not really clear on what that means.

I have Nismo T2 Springs and will soon be installing my TC Klines. I noticed that the T2 Springs are really short and have no preload on the OEM struts. I'm scared the same effects may also be on the TC Klines.

P.S. Get a local shop to sponsor you TC Klines if it's too expensive. I paid $500 Canadian for mine, brand new in box and packaging too
Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 AM
98sr20ve

I've been on Koni's with D-spec springs and Koni's with a custom coilover setup in the front with 448/427 rates.
I would love to know more about your coilover setup.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Kolia
Are you saying you're hitting the damper's bumpers ?!?!

That should never happen, the suspension members should hit their bumpers before that.

That's a serious issue from the Koni's.
With the oem dust sheilds removed because the oem system has a fair amount of hard rubber that burns up valuable bump travel and cut down Koni progressive soft bump stops in place, yes the front bump stops would contract the tops of the Koni shocks on a regular basis even with the 448lbs springs I was running set at a very modest drop. Interestingly with the 560lbs springs I put on with the Koni's tuesday, I'm not having those issues. But the most drop I can get is a whole 1/8" lol. It's a temporary set so no biggie.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Can you define bump stops? I'm not really clear on what that means.

I have Nismo T2 Springs and will soon be installing my TC Klines. I noticed that the T2 Springs are really short and have no preload on the OEM struts. I'm scared the same effects may also be on the TC Klines.

P.S. Get a local shop to sponsor you TC Klines if it's too expensive. I paid $500 Canadian for mine, brand new in box and packaging too
Bump stop, meaning the soft rubber inserts hidden inside the oem shock dust sheilds.

TcKlines are more then able to handle the T2 Nismo springs, since they are valved for use with up to 800lbs springs. Since they are not shorter then oem shocks bump travel may be in short supply, though they may have enough roll stiffness to them to prevent this from being really serious issue. Koni does offer a short 10mm tall bump stop, Truechice sells them part number Kon71.34.80.000.0 Here's a link to ground-control for a assortment of bump stops they have http://www.ground-control-store.com/...tion.php/II=10
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tokico D-Spec Kit on my '06 RX8. It includes springs that drop 1.2" and the adjustable dampening is GREAT! I love the things. At medium settings, about 4 turns from full hard, it rides slightly smoother/softer than OEM yet you still get road feedback. Mid-corner bumps no longer upset the chasis at freeway speeds and hard cornering wobbling has been all but eliminated. I love these struts/springs! I'm looking to get some for my Z. The only downside is it is not "ride-height" adjustable like Teins, but IMHO, the spring rates are much more "civilized" and the dampening adjustablility is almost infinite. At full-stiff, hard braking does not cause the nose of my 8 to dive like OEM struts used to. At full-soft, it rides like a floatty Cadi!

Go to: http://www.dpeweb.com/VehiclesList.aspx?AutomakerID=2

DPE has nice packages for good prices. If you are like me, I don't Auto-X and don't professionally race, and appreciate a civilized ride while having the option to stiffen up the suspension for spirited driving or launching the car at the occasional red-light (not racing another car though) then Tokicos are ideal--price, adjustability, performance, & drivability!

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
I would love to know more about your coilover setup.
Well, with the bump travel issues I had they didn't really work out. I have reinstalled them now with 560lbs front springs. Catch is, at min preload level's I've only got a 1/8" drop vs oem 350Z springs, which is simply not enough for my needs. If I were to send the front shocks out to Proparts usa and have them shortened 1" and a new spring seat grove cut into the body that was 1" further down, then I could get a 1" drop out of the setup.

front shock with Koni coilover sleave

Tein tapered spring 448lbs (allowed me to be able to use the oem upper shocks mounts)

Shock/spring with custom 6061 aluminum adaptor ring so 70mm ID spring could be used on a 65mm ID mount

Mounted on the car
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
98sr20ve

Edit: Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 PM
98sr20ve

Does TEIN make a shorter spring? I don't know how long the one you have is? Tein makes a decent amount of spring I thought.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM
98sr20ve

BTW, what is the rear like as its not a spring on shock setup in back?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Kolia
Koni sports with the original springs will work very well.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to extract the added performance of a full race suspension on the street. I'm not juging your skill as a driver here. You simply won't be able to get the tires warm enough to generate the grip levels that a race suspension is designed to cope with.

As a side note, bodyroll, dive and squat aren't inerently "bad" as long as the suspension geometry is built accordingly.
I don't know, never underestimate a setup with excellent dampning and near max spring rates that stand a chance of maintaining adheasion even on local roads. My own testing whereby I've tried many different spring rates put's my rate limit very close to the T2 Nismo spring rates, at least in the front. I won't run rear rates anywhere near that high, but that's part of why I tested like I did.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Gsedan35

Does TEIN make a shorter spring? I don't know how long the one you have is? Tein makes a decent amount of spring I thought.
Yes they do, but that would not have benefited me since at the lowest setting I was at min preload.

BTW, what is the rear like as its not a spring on shock setup in back?
Only the front was a coilover setup, the rear setup is standard stuff, drop courtesy of a cut down upper spring seat.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 PM
98sr20ve

Yes they do, but that would not have benefited me since at the lowest setting I was at min preload.

Only the front was a coilover setup, the rear setup is standard stuff, drop courtesy of a cut down upper spring seat.

A lot of coilover kits don't have preload on the spring when the wheel is in the air. Thats common. So a shorter spring will lower the car and solve the issue. You could also use helper springs to solve the preload issue. I think they are a waste but if you can lift a wheel in a corner they are usefull.