Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Aftermarket Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:46 AM
Cerebra1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Brake Kits

Hi guys, I've been reading on these forums for about 6months now, and whenever a question comes to mind I always search here first and usually find my answer. Now I honestly don't know all that much about cars mechanically, so I'm sorry in advance if my question sounds stupid, but I have come across a problem I need a little help with.

Ok well first of all, I have a 2003 Touring 6MT, and I'm looking at upgrading my current OEM brakes to the Track Brembos, so I went to my local Nissan Dealer, and asked spare parts how much it would cost for the replacement/upgrade. They quoted me $14,400 USD. I was like WTF?! I had searched here beforehand, and expected somewhere around the $2-4,000 USD mark. I asked him why it costs so much, when a Track model is only $7,000 more expensive, and he recommended that I trade my car in for a Track model if I wanted Brembos.

So basically my question is, if I wanted to change my brakes, is the only thing I need to change the brake pads? Because what I'm looking at is some Volk SF-Challenge rims, and I want to have the red calipers behind them, so visually it looks better and at the same time I get somewhat better performance.

I came across this topic, and was curious if these would suit what I'm looking for?
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=brake+kits

If not, could anyone please advise me for what else is required etc? Thanks in advance for any help

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move if it is.

Last edited by Cerebra1; 04-23-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:51 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally a (big) brake kit will include calipers, rotors and pads. For help study the brake forum.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:15 AM
djnc

never EVER buy parts from your local dealership (unless you really have to)...its a rip no matter what
Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

Doing just the front brakes is a good start and may save you money in the long run. It also has to do with what type of driving you are doing. Auto-x/Track or street?

If Auto-X/Track, you will eventually want to upgrade all around but you can get away with doing just the fronts first. I've seen front brembo's sell for ~800 in the classifieds.

If Street, you will probably only need to upgrade the front breaks at most. Unless your a maniac, chances are you won't event make use of the extra breaking capability.

In either case, good luck.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 AM
SupermanZ

If all you want is alittle extra braking power. I would just get some slotted/cross drilled rotors, steel braded lines, some performance pads, and maybe some racing brake fluid. If you want them red you can paint or have them powdercoated.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SupermanZ
If all you want is alittle extra braking power. I would just get some slotted/cross drilled rotors, steel braded lines, some performance pads, and maybe some racing brake fluid. If you want them red you can paint or have them powdercoated.

yeah, but i would be advise against painting them red(if your going to do it go black). We usually let the civic and mustang crowd do that. Hell, even the homies with the burbs and lacs are painting the calipers. Dont let the Z fall in with the rice and ghetto category!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
OCZTrack

Originally Posted by SupermanZ
+1 Good Advice...

On the other subject...$14,000!!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
yeah, but i would be advise against painting them red(if your going to do it go black). We usually let the civic and mustang crowd do that. Hell, even the homies with the burbs and lacs are painting the calipers. Dont let the Z fall in with the rice and ghetto category!
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
(that's a Zillion)
Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 AM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
i have mine painted red and its not riced. so do others here on the forum. IMO thats the best way to go next to upgrading. The stocks on my 06 are amazing to me on how much they can take beating and how well they stop. like others said you dont have to spend alot of money to get good performance. just get drilled slotted rotors and racing pads. that will save you alot of cash compared to a BBK.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:13 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by gothchick
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
(that's a Zillion)

Actually, that's one octillion. Go back to school.

To the OP: look in the classifieds for deals on used OEM Brembos or great deals from the site sponsors on quality aftermarket BBK options from Stop Tech and Rotora, which will run you in the $3-4k range for a 4 wheel upgrade.

Have to agree with the painting stock calipers = rice comment. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 04-23-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 AM
OCZTrack

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
...nerd...haha j/k
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM
MustGoFastR

LOL... nah, I googled it. A google is one followed by a hundred zeros, BTW. Class dismissed.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM
CaliTouring

To the OP: look in the classifieds for deals on used OEM Brembos or great deals from the site sponsors on quality aftermarket BBK options from Stop Tech and Rotora, which will run you in the $3-4k range for a 4 wheel upgrade.

Have to agree with the painting stock calipers = rice comment. Do it right or don't do it at all.
id like to do it right as long as you can provide the finacial side of the right thing to do.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 AM
OCZTrack

LOL... nah, I googled it. A google is one followed by a hundred zeros, BTW. Class dismissed.
Actually a 1 followed by a hundred zeros is a "Googol". "Google" is a search engine. CLASS DISMISSED!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
id like to do it right as long as you can provide the finacial side of the right thing to do.
LOL, ok, start going through all those credit card offers you ussually get in the mail, sign up for one with zero interest for at least a year, charge the BBK to it, only pay the minimum balance and when the zero interest is about to expire, just get another zero interest card and roll the balance over for a nominal fee and keep paying the minumum balance. After a while, you'll have it paid for free of interest and you won't even miss the little bit it costs you each month. That's how I modded my Z on a teacher's salary (I pay more than the minumum, though). Theoretically, you could keep modding and keep roling over the balance to new zero interest cards indefinitely until you die and let your kids deal with the debt.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM
gothchick

Just an FYI: Beware of cheap no-name cross-drilled rotors... They have a tendancy to get hair-line cracks. That's why most track-duty cars have slotted rotors. I know, slotted = less bling than drilled... But slotted hold up better to punishing conditions.

Last edited by gothchick; 04-23-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Cerebra1

Wow thanks for all the quick replys guys, got a good idea of what I need to look for now
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by OCZTrack
Actually a 1 followed by a hundred zeros is a "Googol". "Google" is a search engine. CLASS DISMISSED!
Technically correct, though nowaday's it's quite common to see it spelled either way, thanks in large to the company Google, who named themselves after the mathematical unit.

“Googol is the mathematical term for a 1 followed by 100 zeros. The term was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, and was popularized in the book, “Mathematics and the Imagination” by Kasner and James Newman. Google’s play on the term reflects the company’s mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web.”