Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 10:01 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I can't think of any appropriate time to swap to a "true" coilover out back unless its a tube chassis car
Old 05-23-2007 | 10:01 AM
first350

I love my JIC FLT-A2's...JIC's FLT-A2's link

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:42 AM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2007 | 06:45 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by vince1611
What he said. If a true coilover had the same spring rates as one in the OEM position, the true coilover would be significantly more stiff (I think Gsedan35 has the exact conversion). This may or may not make a difference for you depending on your situation. I've also read complaints about the valving and dampening from other cars with similar setups, but this could be different for the 350z. And to state the obvious, the bushings get worn out and the rear starts to make noises.
well thats true for only cheap brand coilovers that conver the rear to true coilover. companies such as zeal take the time and research to valve the shock to the corresonding rates. i can tell you that running on zeals 16/14kg setup feels better than teins 12/12 flex and jic's flt-a2 coilovers.

as for the rear bushing issue, i only recall maybe 1-2 people with that problem. a friend coilovers, that have at least 20k miles by now, bushings are in tact. no cracks, nothing.

Originally Posted by z1 performance
I've been in 1 car that had them. The 'advantage' these have is you can slam the car on the ground, if you so desire. The downside was that when compared to other street friendly coilovers, they were not particularly well valved for rougher roads...but, it's all subjective I suppose
tell you what, if you ever make it down to so cal, give me a heads up. i know you are very well educated/experienced in the suspension systems out for the 350z, and i'd like to have you ride in my car equipped with zeals with 16/14kg rates i'd like to swipe that bad impression you have about rear ture coilovers
Old 05-26-2007 | 03:30 PM
Drift_corners

I have the stance and i think they are amazing. They handle the track great even on R compounds. On the street i find them easy to drive. Just dont rail any bumps. they are fine. I could drive 4 hours a day on them.
Old 05-26-2007 | 07:00 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by DJames
I plan to track the car 1-10 a year, but the min would probably be 5 times a year. As in budget wise, best bang for your bucks. I've been reading a lot about the Stance Coilovers, seems like everyone loves them.
Remember, you get what you pay for. HKS RS coilovers are a good start. One of my friends has them on his Z and it was pretty eazy to tune. Just damping and preload. I've heard good things about Bilstein PSS9 and KW Variant coilovers.

Personally, I have SilkRoad RMA8. I went with them because Ken Maeda asked me to try them. So he picked up a set for me when he came back from Japan. They ride well, feels pretty stock on the street, very planted on the track. Sliding around with makes the car feel very predictable and easy to control with a good set of tires. Though the car's stock VLSD SUCKS! and does more harm than good. Converting the rear coilover is no problem. All I have to do is make a call to Maeda and he'll take care of everything. We have no circuit track now (it's been closed sine last year) so I have no desire of changing them out.
Old 05-26-2007 | 10:31 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by daytona350z
well thats true for only cheap brand coilovers that conver the rear to true coilover. companies such as zeal take the time and research to valve the shock to the corresonding rates. i can tell you that running on zeals 16/14kg setup feels better than teins 12/12 flex and jic's flt-a2 coilovers.

as for the rear bushing issue, i only recall maybe 1-2 people with that problem. a friend coilovers, that have at least 20k miles by now, bushings are in tact. no cracks, nothing.

tell you what, if you ever make it down to so cal, give me a heads up. i know you are very well educated/experienced in the suspension systems out for the 350z, and i'd like to have you ride in my car equipped with zeals with 16/14kg rates i'd like to swipe that bad impression you have about rear ture coilovers
"companies like Zeal". Who makes a true coilover system that could possibly be in the same realm as them? Though I understand your speaking up for yourself vs Adams comment against running true coilovers. Kind of ironic that the two other coilover products you cite are known for owner comment's about harshness, Flex and Flta-2. Though, if anyone can pull things off it would be the likes of Zeal, Ohlins, Moton ect. That does not mean that the sky is the limit as far as rates go, it would be ill advised for someone to strike out and go that that much spring without having first sampled lower rate setup's first, like I think your saying you have. If I avoid certain road's, I may be able to get away with 14Kg, othewise 12Kg is my preceived limit, which I am comsidering testing.

Their is more to the issue then the lower shock mount bushing, things that have nothing to do with the product makup that any manufactuer put's out the door, no matter how powerfull their valving science or R&D department is.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/241891-new-stance-3-way-coilovers-3.html post #44

The noise issue is a lot more common of a problem they you know. Though owner's getting used to the noise isn't helping us hear about it now, when it first came to light it was discused by several owners.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=stance
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/211475-the-real-problem-with-true-coilover-rear-suspension.html
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:41 AM
rkd350z

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Stance true coilovers in the rear are the way to go.

JET
+1
Old 05-28-2007 | 01:06 PM
leozim

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
not a fan personally of any "true" rear coilover, but everyone has their own opinions on this

there are some pretty comprehensive threads out there with reviews of just about every coilover out there - takes awhile to search, but you'll get a ton of good info
what do you think of zeal function compared to ohlins? which one would you suggest or recommend?
Old 05-28-2007 | 08:27 PM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2007 | 08:35 PM
TimeAttkZ

KW varient 3's are supposed to be pretty amazing.
Old 05-28-2007 | 09:25 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by vince1611
wow! You actually have the RMA8s??? I can't find much info. about these on the forums. If I'm not digressing too much, I'd really like to hear more about them. Are you using the original 10f/8r spring rates? How's the dampening over rough roads? Is there a big difference between the damper's softest settings vs. most stiff?
Yah..I have the original production ones. There's another member on here that runs them too, but, his rear spring uses a progressive version. On the streets, they're pretty tame. There is noticable difference between the two full settings, that's why I leave it right in the middle. Sometimes I bump up the damping up front, mostly it's at med.
Old 05-29-2007 | 03:23 AM
DMK

Originally Posted by 636Racer
Yah..I have the original production ones. There's another member on here that runs them too, but, his rear spring uses a progressive version. On the streets, they're pretty tame. There is noticable difference between the two full settings, that's why I leave it right in the middle. Sometimes I bump up the damping up front, mostly it's at med.
More info please. Where did you get them? Price? How are they holding up?
Old 05-29-2007 | 04:26 AM
DanielW
Banned

Excuse the newb question or whatnot but why would you put coilovers in the back only?
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:32 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
"companies like Zeal". Who makes a true coilover system that could possibly be in the same realm as them? Though I understand your speaking up for yourself vs Adams comment against running true coilovers. Kind of ironic that the two other coilover products you cite are known for owner comment's about harshness, Flex and Flta-2. Though, if anyone can pull things off it would be the likes of Zeal, Ohlins, Moton ect. That does not mean that the sky is the limit as far as rates go, it would be ill advised for someone to strike out and go that that much spring without having first sampled lower rate setup's first, like I think your saying you have. If I avoid certain road's, I may be able to get away with 14Kg, othewise 12Kg is my preceived limit, which I am comsidering testing.

Their is more to the issue then the lower shock mount bushing, things that have nothing to do with the product makup that any manufactuer put's out the door, no matter how powerfull their valving science or R&D department is.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241891&page=3 post #44

The noise issue is a lot more common of a problem they you know. Though owner's getting used to the noise isn't helping us hear about it now, when it first came to light it was discused by several owners.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=stance
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211475
Kinda ironic that the high end companies like Ohlins, KW Competition, Truechioce, etc.. all keep the OEM location when so many are convinced mounting the spring on the damper is superior. Considering Truechoice will set you up with Koni 2822's at all for corners valved and sprung with all their knowledge from doing what is arguably the most extensive track testing of any suspension kit on the market, and they also use the OEM location. If only those companies knew what Stance knows, right?
Will
Old 05-29-2007 | 02:03 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by DMK
More info please. Where did you get them? Price? How are they holding up?
I got them from Maeda Ken, Race Factory's team driver (when he was still with UpGarage) Didnt pay a dime for them though, retail on them is somewhere around $1800. He's a good friend of ours so he got me a set. I think it's because we showed him good hospitality whenever he visited us. They're holding very well after having them on for about 2 years.