Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

13" vs 14" Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:08 PM
AAAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13" vs 14" Brakes

What is the difference in break feel/stop distance/noticeble difference between 13" rotors/brake kits vs 14" ones?

(if it makes a differnece, im looking at the Stoptech kit, the difference b/w 14" and 13" is like $600 )

Thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you have super sticky drag radials on your front wheels its highly unlikely that either of those will have any trouble making your tires screech to a halt. meaning both sets will feel exactly the same stopping the car to the capacity of the tires, not the brakes.

after that tho your only dealing with fade, and you will be damn hard pressed to make either fade, but if you did manage to somehow fade 13" rotors, the 14" would be for you, but I could only fathom what it would take to fade 13" rotors... let alone 14"
Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 PM
ares
Veteran

also remember, rotors spin, and inertia is based on radius from center, meaning you dont want bigger heavier rotors unless you can actually utilize them for something.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:09 PM
AAAA

Default makes sense

so, with that in mind, am i better off with a 13in Stoptech kit (fronts), or trying to get the stock Brembos with front and rear brakes w/ 12" rotors...

My original plan was to do the front 13in kit, with stock rears, then upgrading the rears later. Is that better than the stock Brembos???

(excuse the ignorance on Brake subjects)
Old 04-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Audito350Z

Default My $0.02 worth

Originally posted by AAAA
so, with that in mind, am i better off with a 13in Stoptech kit (fronts), or trying to get the stock Brembos with front and rear brakes w/ 12" rotors...

My original plan was to do the front 13in kit, with stock rears, then upgrading the rears later. Is that better than the stock Brembos???

(excuse the ignorance on Brake subjects)
It realy depends on what you plan to use them for. If you only want them or show, you can get the 14" front Stoptechs with the 13" rears. You won't stop any better than a normal Z.... but you will look really cool!

If you want better performance at the track, get the 13" and skip the rear upgrade.

If I did not have the track model Z, I would get the 13" Stoptech for the front and leave the rear brakes alone. Stoptech designs the kit to work with the OEM rear brakes, so you won't get any improvement if you put an upgrade in the back. Better pads will help, but you don't need a larger rotor or caliper.

I used the 332x32 Stoptech kit on my Audi A4. That car saw 10 track events a year with the Stoptechs. Never once had any pad fade or pedal fade. For a while, I had upgraded the A4 rear brakes to the S4 caliper and rotor (which has a larger piston and rotor). Used that set up for two or three events then switched back to the regular A4 rear brakes... the Stoptechs actually felt better with the A4 rear brakes.

The Stoptechs do work better than the Brembos. They are larger, so they dissipate heat faster and more efficiently. And, the Stoptech rotor is a two-piece design, so it may be a little lighter than the Brembo rotor. But, if you fond someone selling the OEM Brembos for cheap... get them. I have been to two track events with only Carbotech pads and the stock Brembos work very well.

Skip the 14", get the 13" and don't worry about upgrading the rear.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 04-28-2003, 05:15 PM
johgar

Originally posted by VQracer
15" brake on member Dweeb's 350Z

https://my350z.com/gallery/albuo84
VQracer,
Are you sure that is 15" brake rotor? I don't think that is the 15" rotor. I know that 15" rotor will have to use at least 19" wheels.
Some of the 360mm rotor might fit the 18" rotor.
It doesn't look like 15" rotor to me. Sorry if I am wrong about this.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
AAAA

Wow, very informative...glad to know the cheaper option is the better option for performance . Seriously though, im glad i asked, i think im gonna do the 13" stoptech kit.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 10:45 AM
AAAA

How bout this Question...Cross drilled or slotted. My friend said slotted b/c of longevity. Any opinions?
Old 04-29-2003, 11:06 AM
ares
Veteran

I THINK they are for 2 different things, slots let the gas escape to get better contact, and drilled increases surface area to promote cooling.

you can have both in a rotor, not sure how they impact life.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Audito350Z

Both are designed to let gasses that form between the pad and the rotor surface escape.

Slotted rotors also keep the pad surface clear of any glazing when being used hard... like at the track. Because of this, you will notice a lot more dust and shortened pad life.

X-drilled have a tendency to crack where the drill holes are.

For show, get the x-drilled. For maximum performance and longevity get solid (non-slotted, non-drilled) rotors. For a good life and really good track performance, get the slotted.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 04-29-2003, 06:03 PM
AAAA

phew... i got a lot to learn....but thanks guys, this is all making sense. Choice is made -- 13" Stoptech slotted rotors. Max performance
Old 04-29-2003, 08:15 PM
all_bark

Default Re: My $0.02 worth

Originally posted by Audito350Z
It realy depends on what you plan to use them for. If you only want them or show, you can get the 14" front Stoptechs with the 13" rears. You won't stop any better than a normal Z.... but you will look really cool!

If you want better performance at the track, get the 13" and skip the rear upgrade.

If I did not have the track model Z, I would get the 13" Stoptech for the front and leave the rear brakes alone. Stoptech designs the kit to work with the OEM rear brakes, so you won't get any improvement if you put an upgrade in the back. Better pads will help, but you don't need a larger rotor or caliper.

I used the 332x32 Stoptech kit on my Audi A4. That car saw 10 track events a year with the Stoptechs. Never once had any pad fade or pedal fade. For a while, I had upgraded the A4 rear brakes to the S4 caliper and rotor (which has a larger piston and rotor). Used that set up for two or three events then switched back to the regular A4 rear brakes... the Stoptechs actually felt better with the A4 rear brakes.

The Stoptechs do work better than the Brembos. They are larger, so they dissipate heat faster and more efficiently. And, the Stoptech rotor is a two-piece design, so it may be a little lighter than the Brembo rotor. But, if you fond someone selling the OEM Brembos for cheap... get them. I have been to two track events with only Carbotech pads and the stock Brembos work very well.

Skip the 14", get the 13" and don't worry about upgrading the rear.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
He is exactly right! that is exactly what stoptech told me so thats what I got!