Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
View Poll Results: Which coil-overs did/would you go with and why?
Cusco Zero 2
10.14%
Bilstein PSS9
10.87%
KW Variant 2
13.04%
Tein Comfort System w/ EDFC
49.28%
Other
16.67%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Narrowed it down to Zero 2, PSS9, KW V2 or Tein CS... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Andres30o0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed it down to Zero 2, PSS9, KW V2 or Tein CS... now what?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been researching coil-over systems while trying to find the one that best suits me. I don't go to the track often, but my philosophy toward my Z is do it right or not do it at all. I've managed to narrow it down based on comfort (+ noise) , performance, versatility and price (roughly in that order) to Cusco Zero 2, Bilstein PSS9, KW V2 and Tein CS. The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting past some of the marketing rhetoric.

I was initially sold on the Cusco Zero 2 system, but am now leaning toward the two German manufacturers based on an assumption (which could well be incorrect) that German suspension systems tend to value ride comfort more so than the Japanese. The one thing that keeps the Tein Comfort Sport is consideration for me is the EDFC.

Before someone asks me to search 'moar' (which I intend to keep doing anyway) I've already read through all the corresponding reviews in the suspension section of this forum.

I've included a poll because I know how much you like them.

Any thoughts that could help me decide are welcome and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Andres30o0; 07-30-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 AM
six3mike

I have the KW V3's and love them. The ride is great and they are known for their quality.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Andres30o0

Thanks. I had the Variant 2s in mind when I posted this, but it seems well worth the extra $ for the Variant 3s. Are they still the only 3-way adjustable coil-overs for the 350z?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Oleg

I have Greddy.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
plumpzz

I'd get KW V2's because of the nicer ride quality and better design. The three way adjustable is 'over adjustable'. Meaning you would not even KNOW how to optimize the 3rd adjust. I'd get V2 or V1 and call it a day.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Tiki O'Tool

I have the Variant 3 coilovers and I love them. They are fully adjustable and really good on the track..
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
NismoZ350

Originally Posted by Oleg
I have Greddy.
value added.

I plan on getting the Tein CS as well, because while I would like to get a lower sportier ride I still love the comfort of the stock system. From my research on this forum the CS seems like the best option for me.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

Have you considered Ohlins or Zeal coilovers? Both are top of the line coilovers in their own respects.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
cferraro85

ive had cusco before as well as zeal and some others, but i would go with the teins. This is my 3rd car with teins and they work great for a Daily and can still very competitive at the track
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you can never go wrong with bilstein stuff
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
TimeAttkZ

I hear great things about the varient 3's by KW. Im sure the varient 2's are just as good, only have less dampening options. I myself might step-up to some KW varient 2's if I dont just go with Stance.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other: STANCE SUS
Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used all the ones you're considering, quite extensively, so might be able to help shed some light

The V2 and Bilstein feel remarkably similar to one another - Bilstein has more clicks of dampening adjustment, but the net result is about the same. The V2does have a bit more height adjustment (can go a bit lower).

The Zero 2 are valved a bit stiffer than the V2/PSS9, but are still quite composed and comfortable on the road. I ran these own units on my own car for a long while (before an incident with a giant crater sized pothole destroyed one). I did track days as well as daily drove on them in NY, without incident. A bit stiffer though as I said (even on softest settings) than the V2 and PSS9. They are also 2 way height adjustable, meaning you can alter ride height independant of spring preload, which helps maintain full stroke as the shock moves up and down. The downside to the Cusco is rear dampening adjustment is a bit tough, since it's at the top of the damper. So, to adjust it, you either have to drill into the plastic rear strut brace cover to fit a long flat head screwdriver, or remove the damper from the car. Personally, I spent a long time with mine, and I ended up leaving it at "3" (of a 5 way span), and left it there. I never had a need to go stiffer, or softer. The adjustments on the KW and Bilstein are far easier.

The Comfort Spec (CS), I've used a bit, and while theey have a huge height range (you can literally drop the car on the ground with them if you wan t), the dampening settings are very narrow in their span. In other words, while you have 16 clicks of adjustment, it's no where near as significant of a difference as the rest of your choices.

Given your choices, it seems you want a very streetable, affordable setup. The roads where you are in Miami are alot nicer than the ones we have here, so you could easily deal with a stiffer valved setup if you chose, and be perfectly happy.

I know it's a tough choice, but honestly, you can't go wrong with ANY of your top three. Only other consideration might be price - the Bilstein would be the most expensive of the bunch, the KW the least expensive, and the Cusco (with the std rubber upper mounts, which I HIGHLY recommend vs the pillowball version) come right in the middle. If you are looking for a setup more at home on a club type track day and still remain streetable, the Cusco would be it. If you are looking for more of a pure street oriented setup that feels like the car should have come that way, the Bilstein or KW would be the best bet overall.

Any help we can provide, let us know. We happen to have the Bilstein and Cusco setups in stock right now, and KW ships direct from KW Germany to your door via air, so assuming they have parts, it arrives quickly too.

Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Andres30o0

Thanks so much for your replies.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the adjustments and comfort, will the Cuscos offer a lot more performance at the track than the other choices mentioned? How about on canyons and back-roads.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I've used all the ones you're considering, quite extensively, so might be able to help shed some light

The V2 and Bilstein feel remarkably similar to one another - Bilstein has more clicks of dampening adjustment, but the net result is about the same. The V2does have a bit more height adjustment (can go a bit lower).

The Zero 2 are valved a bit stiffer than the V2/PSS9, but are still quite composed and comfortable on the road. I ran these own units on my own car for a long while (before an incident with a giant crater sized pothole destroyed one). I did track days as well as daily drove on them in NY, without incident. A bit stiffer though as I said (even on softest settings) than the V2 and PSS9. They are also 2 way height adjustable, meaning you can alter ride height independant of spring preload, which helps maintain full stroke as the shock moves up and down. The downside to the Cusco is rear dampening adjustment is a bit tough, since it's at the top of the damper. So, to adjust it, you either have to drill into the plastic rear strut brace cover to fit a long flat head screwdriver, or remove the damper from the car. Personally, I spent a long time with mine, and I ended up leaving it at "3" (of a 5 way span), and left it there. I never had a need to go stiffer, or softer. The adjustments on the KW and Bilstein are far easier.

The Comfort Spec (CS), I've used a bit, and while theey have a huge height range (you can literally drop the car on the ground with them if you wan t), the dampening settings are very narrow in their span. In other words, while you have 16 clicks of adjustment, it's no where near as significant of a difference as the rest of your choices.

Given your choices, it seems you want a very streetable, affordable setup. The roads where you are in Miami are alot nicer than the ones we have here, so you could easily deal with a stiffer valved setup if you chose, and be perfectly happy.

I know it's a tough choice, but honestly, you can't go wrong with ANY of your top three. Only other consideration might be price - the Bilstein would be the most expensive of the bunch, the KW the least expensive, and the Cusco (with the std rubber upper mounts, which I HIGHLY recommend vs the pillowball version) come right in the middle. If you are looking for a setup more at home on a club type track day and still remain streetable, the Cusco would be it. If you are looking for more of a pure street oriented setup that feels like the car should have come that way, the Bilstein or KW would be the best bet overall.

Any help we can provide, let us know. We happen to have the Bilstein and Cusco setups in stock right now, and KW ships direct from KW Germany to your door via air, so assuming they have parts, it arrives quickly too.

Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andres30o0
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been researching coil-over systems while trying to find the one that best suits me. I don't go to the track often, but my philosophy toward my Z is do it right or not do it at all. I've managed to narrow it down based on comfort (+ noise) , performance, versatility and price (roughly in that order) to Cusco Zero 2, Bilstein PSS9, KW V2 and Tein CS. The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting past some of the marketing rhetoric.

I was initially sold on the Cusco Zero 2 system, but am now leaning toward the two German manufacturers based on an assumption (which could well be incorrect) that German suspension systems tend to value ride comfort more so than the Japanese. The one thing that keeps the Tein Comfort Sport is consideration for me is the EDFC.

Before someone asks me to search 'moar' (which I intend to keep doing anyway) I've already read through all the corresponding reviews in the suspension section of this forum.

I've included a poll because I know how much you like them.

Any thoughts that could help me decide are welcome and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
To fill in on top of Adam's excellent post.

Cusco Zero2 Monotube dampners with rebound/compression dampning adjustablity (together, not seperate) Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Spring rates 560/392

Bilstein PSS9 coilover Monotube construction with rebound/compression dampning adjustablity (together, not seperate) Adjust's height by spring preload
Special Note: Mild spring rates, but Bilstein says the dampners are performance valved. Since Bilstein can revalve the dampners rather cheaply at $65 per corner, picking more agressive spring rates if someone found the setup too soft would not be difficult. IMO I'd kick the wide rate spread rear springs to the curb.
Spring rates 370/240-420 (rear progressive)

KW coilover Variant's 2 twintube construction with rebound only dampning adjustablity adjust's height by spring preload
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Notes: High progressive rear spring rate spread that cannot be easily fixed because of the mounting diameters of the upper and lower spring seats in the height adjusting system. It still can be fixed, but would require a lot of phone calls and research that most won’t bother with, IMO it’s worth the bother.

Tein CS Monotube dampners with rebound/compression dampning adjustablity (together not seperate) adjust's height by spring preload owners can add Tein's EDFC in car adjustable dampning system at a extra cost.
Special Note: A comfort ride system compare to HKS LS.They are valved and sprung to fulfill their intended mission of offering up improved ride comfort. More specifically their valving will impact the performance they can deliver. And to add, revalving them is extremely expensive if you find they are too soft for you. If you want performance, pick a different Tein offering or pick a different brand.
Spring rates 392/392

Had I not gone with the Truechoice setup I'm on now, I was going to try the Cusco Zero 2's, so that's what I would go with. Wish the Pss9 was more stiffly sprung and linear in the rear. In the end it's totally your choice, IMO your list show's to me that you did research before posting.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sensi - I'd love to give you some marketing spiel about how one of these setups would be superior during canyon type twisties, but truth be told, that type of driving is really more about the tire you run and less about the coilover you have. Any one of these setups, coupled with good tires and a set of swaybars (Hotchkis, Cusco) would be terrific for spirited mountain runs
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent advice from Adam and Gsedan35. These two guys helped me tremedously when I was choosing coilovers myself and finally decided on the Cusco Zero 2's with rubber mounts. I haven't had any experience with the other coilovers the OP listed but for my needs on the street and track, the Cuscos fill those quite nicely and for a reasonable price. This is one of the few things where I can actually say I did it right the first time and am completely satisfied.