Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Teas & Edfc

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 PM
lindelium18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teas & Edfc

This is a two fold question (will probably end up to be more than that). Anyway, my first question is that I don't see too many people using either one of these setups, why? I know very little about suspensions and even less about tuning them but these seem like an easy, fun and convenient way to upgrade. That said, question number two is which is better? I'm sure that question is subjective to what kind of driving etc... For me it will be mostly street with the limited possibility of some track but I definitely want some improvement in the corners! Finally, and this question may tie into the first, is it worth the added cost (again probably subjective) or are there coilovers that are just as easy manually?

These just seem cool to be able to change it right in the car. Let the answers begin!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my Teins with EDFC. I dont know what TEAS are.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 AM
lindelium18

Originally Posted by Alberto
I love my Teins with EDFC. I dont know what TEAS are.
TEAS appears to be the same deal as EDFC but for the Tannabe system
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lindelium18
This is a two fold question (will probably end up to be more than that). Anyway, my first question is that I don't see too many people using either one of these setups, why? I know very little about suspensions and even less about tuning them but these seem like an easy, fun and convenient way to upgrade. That said, question number two is which is better? I'm sure that question is subjective to what kind of driving etc... For me it will be mostly street with the limited possibility of some track but I definitely want some improvement in the corners! Finally, and this question may tie into the first, is it worth the added cost (again probably subjective) or are there coilovers that are just as easy manually?

These just seem cool to be able to change it right in the car. Let the answers begin!
1. EDFC vs TEAS

Lot's of Tein coilover owners here and many of them have their's equipped with EDFC. We have only a handfull of Tanabe coilover owners in comparison. Also keep in mind the the cost of the coilovers from Tanabe that can use the TEAS system is greater. Tanabe's choice to us a progressive rear spring in Z33 Seven and Five applicaton's is a detractor, though one should be able to raid their coporate parts bin since their other coilover application's are linear in the rear.

Teas can adjust dampning based on imputs from the car's speed sensor, not just when the human behind the wheel decides to ask for a change by pushing a button. http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/teas.asp.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...g_1955_8222816
EDFC does not have the ability to adjust based on vehicle speed.

2. What is better?
You'll have to do the type of research I'd hope would come along with spending $2000-$3000. Ask yourself if you really need what either system does and has to offer, will you actually use the controlers 6months to a year after the install? You do have other system's to pick from in that price range neighborhood that IMO will leave either product in the dust when factoring in your final cost to buy everything and have it all installed, Ohlins and Zeal come to mind. And relating to you are they worth the cost question, can you meet your need's with other lower cost offerings like Cusco Zero2 or HKS RS?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I have never heard of the system. For me, the decidin gfactor would be what suspension is better suited for what I want, rather than what adjustment is cooler. I personally love my Mono Flex
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
lindelium18

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. Okay, lets say 80% of the time the car is a daily driver, 10% pushing limits on the street, 5% drag and 5% track. Let me get some suggestions from you all. I realize that only 15% of the time will I really enjoy the benefits of upgraded suspension, but when I do need that 15%, I want it to be awesome! To me, it seems like TEAS may be the way cause then I can still enjoy everyday, if I hit it hard on the street it can adjust for me, and I can just change I if I go to the track. Let me know if this sounds right...or other options!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You can alsdo adjust with EDFC. I adjust mine to full stiff on the fly before murdering corners...pick the better coilover to suit you, then worry about the electronic adjustment.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
You can alsdo adjust with EDFC. I adjust mine to full stiff on the fly before murdering corners...pick the better coilover to suit you, then worry about the electronic adjustment.
I haven't had a chance to really finetune my settings, so I've been doing the same thing as you. Full stiff & full speed into corners
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

My most aggressive setting is 0 front, 2 rear, feels great to me...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally find the electronic dampener adjustments setups gimmicky, and, gives you another thing to go wrong

Personally, I'd pick the best coilover you can that suits your needs and fits your budget. Given your intended uses from your other post, I personally think you can do alot better than either of the setups you've mentioned
Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

i've heard that the change in suspension stiffness that the EDFC offers is limited. to put it another way, even if it offers 12 levels of adjustment, the levels are so close that change is almost negligible. second, i've also heard that the Teins are so stiff that in some cases the car handles worse becauce there is not enough flexibility in the suspension. that was with the FLEX system though.

how do you feel about the variation in adjustment with the EDFX Alberto?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

The EDFC controller can be set to have 16 levels of adjustment (just like if you manually adjust it). You can also change the setting to fine-tune it further with 32 levels of adjustment. Although there won't be a huge difference from one setting to the next, you definitely notice it when you make more of a change.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the edfc and I pretty much only toggle between 2 diff settings..extremely stiff, then soft for city diving.--or if launching soft in the back. - pretty cool but if I had it to do all over again I'd prob just get a nice coilover w/o the electronic adjustment. I also looked into the teas a while back which is still very new technology and alot more $$ as well for the car to try and adjust the stiffening for you. - in my opinion not a good idea. If I were you just keep it simple and save your money for a basic setup. Spend the amount you'll save on some sways and camber/toe kit.