Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cusco vs. Hotchkis Sways ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Zazoozle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Cusco vs. Hotchkis Sways ?

So I've done a ton of research and I am deciding between Cusco and Hotchkis sways.

I'm aware that cusco is solid and more $, while hotchkis is hollow and less $...

I don't really care about price or a comfortable ride, but I want to make the best decision for my needs.

I want something for strong street performance. My car is my daily driver and not a track car, but I want the best performance and nothing that is going to hurt my car by being too stiff, or only for track use or whatever, if that is even possible.

Also, If I go with hotchkis, should I buy the springs that go with them? I have oem 17 wheels but want 19"

Or, If I go with cusco, should I later get the coilovers (when i can afford them ) or are there just better brands for springs/coilovers anyways?

Which should I pick?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
350z00m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the hotchkis sways and my car is a daily driver... i track my car plenty of times and i have never had any issues.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy as can be with the hotchkis. I think my main reason for going with them was because they were more adjustable and less expensive. It's a HUGE improvement over stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
fast kiwi

dude.. Hotchikis all the way.. i love em and there pretty dame cheap too..

oh and just buy he package so you can get a better deal.. its only a super mild drop but it looks great.. and handles nice too.. no comfort change at all.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM
MarkM

sways don't alter the ride comfort at all. I'd go for the Cusco ones I went Nismo, with Hotchkis springs and Tokico shocks, happy with my choice.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got cusco's; they're great!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazoozle
So I've done a ton of research and I am deciding between Cusco and Hotchkis sways.

I'm aware that cusco is solid and more $, while hotchkis is hollow and less $...

I don't really care about price or a comfortable ride, but I want to make the best decision for my needs.

I want something for strong street performance. My car is my daily driver and not a track car, but I want the best performance and nothing that is going to hurt my car by being too stiff , or only for track use or whatever, if that is even possible.

Also, If I go with hotchkis, should I buy the springs that go with them? I have oem 17 wheels but want 19"

Or, If I go with cusco, should I later get the coilovers (when i can afford them ) or are there just better brands for springs/coilovers anyways?

Which should I pick?
You did not research enough. Notice what I highlighted. How, with the non adjustable Cusco rear bar can you dial down it's stiffness if you find that it is too great? You cannot. Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already well dialed in setup. You do this by having front and rear adjustable bars and fine tune them to suit your given setup and your driving style. I had the Cusco bar's, they were great, until other elements of my suspension changed. I pulled them from the car because I could not reset the rear bar softer to meet my needs.

As far as if you buy the Hotchkis sway's should you buy their springs? That's totally up to you, though I'd hope your spring choice would be on the merits of drop amount and overall specs. Many here have the Hotchkis sway and spring package and are very happy.

IMO, Cusco Zero2 is a excellent coilover setup, no reason they can't be run with a front and rear adjustable sway setup, Hotchkis or any other front and rear adjustable from the likes of Stillen, Eibach or 350EVO ect.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Accordaleer

I think ill be going with hotchkis also, i want to buy the springs too but not sure if i need camber arms? mind is drawin a blank lol
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Zazoozle

Wow thanks everyone for your help...If so many people are happy with hotchkis, I will probably go that route since I like the rear adjustable factor.

[QUOTE=Gsedan35]You did not research enough. Notice what I highlighted. How, with the non adjustable Cusco rear bar can you dial down it's stiffness if you find that it is too great? You cannot. Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already well dialed in setup. You do this by having front and rear adjustable bars and fine tune them to suit your given setup and your driving style. I had the Cusco bar's, they were great, until other elements of my suspension changed. I pulled them from the car because I could not reset the rear bar softer to meet my needs.
QUOTE] you're probably right I didn't research enough - but you answered my Q: I didn't want to buy bars that are so stiff that once I get other performance parts, suspension or whatever they may be, that my sway bars put me or my car in "danger" - like oversteering/understeering, etc. that I have read about.

Thanks so much everyone, I'm placing my order - yay
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

What setting on the hotchkis rear sway is about equal to the cusco rear?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by Sensi09
What setting on the hotchkis rear sway is about equal to the cusco rear?
Well, I'll go ahead and answer my own question.

The cusco rear sway bar is fixed at 73% stiffer than stock.
The hotchkis rear sway bar is three position adjustable
Hole 1 = 520 lbs/in (80% Stiffer than stock)
Hole 2 = 655 lbs/in (125% Stiffer than stock)
Hole 3 = 840 lbs/in (185% Stiffer than stock)

Just to add the stiffness and adjustments of the front bars.
The Cusco front sway has two positions of adjustment,
either 20% stiffer or 37% stiffer than stock.

The hotchkis front sway bar
Hole 1 = 1525 lbs/in (22% Stiffer than stock)
Hole 2 = 1845 lbs/in (48% Stiffer than stock)
Hole 3 = 2270 lbs/in (82% Stiffer than stock)
Hole 4 = 2855 lbs/in (129% Stiffer than stock)