Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strange noise from StopTech brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 AM
semtex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise from StopTech brakes

I recently upgraded by brakes to the StopTech kit (355mm rotors w/ 4-piston calipers, front and rear). The brakes are great -- they stop really well, look good, etc. There's just one small problem. The left front squeals any time I put load on it, with my foot OFF the brakes. In other words, if I'm turning left, like just coasting in a parking lot or leaving the line at an intersection, it squeals. No problems at all when my foot is actually on the brakes, just when my foot is off. My mechanic has checked everything and can't find any problems. He has been able to determine that the squeal is caused by the pad slightly dragging when I'm turning left. We've tried three different sets of pads (Axxis, Mintex, and EBC), and they all squeal to varying degrees. My mechanic has been in touch with StopTech and they say they've never heard of anything like this, and agree that it's not a pad issue. My Z has never been in a fender bender or anything, it only has 9000 miles on it. We were initially torquing the lug nuts to 90 lbs/ft, but then increased it to 100 lbs/ft and the noise went away for a day, but now has come back.

Any ideas?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

its probley just slighty uneven pad just touching the rotor, it will go away in a few hundred miles or so
Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 AM
semtex

Originally Posted by DaytonaRoadster
its probley just slighty uneven pad just touching the rotor, it will go away in a few hundred miles or so
With three different sets of pads?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

oh right didnt see that, maybe the calipers need adjusting?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 AM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Its probably due to hub flex since Zs are prone to that. On the racetrack where side loading forces are much greater, you would probably experience pad knockback, but under normal driving there is just enough deflection to let the rotor come into contact with the pads. Theres more info on pad knockback and hub flex on our website here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml