Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

JIC coilover install help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation JIC coilover install help

I'm currently in the process of installing my 2nd set of JIC coilovers, this time the correct kit (well sort of). Did they neglect to include in my package a set of rubber "grommets" illustrated on top of the spring in this photo? Or is it just me?

Do I have to install the spring, then jack up the rear spring perch?

I also have no adjustment tools for the perch, and I wonder what else is missing.

All I have to say is that without a set of written instructions, this is truly a pain in the ***. I'll be back in a bit as I find more things wrong.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
John

Well, I've got the rear suspension in, but I won't know if it's right until I lower the car off the jackstands.

Now to the front... All the bolts are undone, but even with all my weight, I can't get the front suspension to lower enough to get the lower perch of the OEM front strut over the LCA. I only have a 1/2" to spare... are my 150lbs not enough?

I'm pretty damn frustrated, considering how much time I've already spent on this install, yet I haven't gotten much of anywhere. Can anyone please help?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:39 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a floor jack, the one in your trunk.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:45 AM
John

And brace it on what? I already used a floor jack to try and compress the strut / spring assembly, but it gets caught on the LCA. Now if I was to use a jack, where exactly would I be placing it? Hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on it this evening while there's still light.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:25 AM
BlackZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come the picture on Japanese magazine
installed JIC suspension differently than the picture on
JIC's website?

Scott
Old 08-03-2003, 02:42 PM
John

Well, there's a lot of things about the JIC install on their website that make me stratch my head. I'm going to be calling them tomorrow and asking them what the deal is. Do you have a link to that Japanese magazine that has the JIC photos?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:39 PM
BlackZ33

Sorry that I don't have any scanner to scan it..

It is on HyperRev magazine I think.

Scott
Old 08-03-2003, 03:46 PM
BlackZ33

I think they put it upside down??

But I have no idea about suspension installation...
I seems Tein Flex were installed that way as well...in Japanese magazine.
Attached Thumbnails JIC coilover install help-jic.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
jak

John,

I have installed the JIC's in my car. The rubber mounts do not come with the kit. I was really disapointed that all of the parts to do a correct install were not included especially for the price I paid.

Without the rubber mounts the springs rattle like crazy unless you preload the springs A LOT which then the car rides on the springs and is bouncy.

I spent months dinking around with the rear suspension to get it right. I ended up fabricating some rubber mounts for the springs and now the springs are great and the way they were intended.

The adjustable perch that the spring sits on should be on the top with a rubber groumet. JIC's install on there website will rattle. Believe me.

The rear shocks still rattle and I think they are either defective or poorly designed. Id' be interested to see if anyone elses rear shocks rattle. I hope Paul fom Avalon will be taking care of that issue soon.

The front coilovers are great with no problems or installation headaches. If you want the workaround for the rear spring installation PM me and I can help.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 PM
sdpearso

WRONG! The kit does come with the rubber mounts and the adjustable perch does go on the bottom as shown.

If your kits did not come with the rubber mounts, call JIC and demand they send you a pair. If they give you the runaraound, be sure to let them know that others on this forum received the rubber mounts with their kits and that the forum is anxious to hear the outcome of your situation.

JIC, if you are reading this. You have a good thing going for you with this kit...don't screw it up with poor customer service.

Originally posted by jak
John,

I have installed the JIC's in my car. The rubber mounts do not come with the kit. I was really disapointed that all of the parts to do a correct install were not included especially for the price I paid.

Without the rubber mounts the springs rattle like crazy unless you preload the springs A LOT which then the car rides on the springs and is bouncy.

I spent months dinking around with the rear suspension to get it right. I ended up fabricating some rubber mounts for the springs and now the springs are great and the way they were intended.

The adjustable perch that the spring sits on should be on the top with a rubber groumet. JIC's install on there website will rattle. Believe me.

The rear shocks still rattle and I think they are either defective or poorly designed. Id' be interested to see if anyone elses rear shocks rattle. I hope Paul fom Avalon will be taking care of that issue soon.

The front coilovers are great with no problems or installation headaches. If you want the workaround for the rear spring installation PM me and I can help.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2003, 09:37 PM
kozik

it's weird, but you do have to install the rears 'upside down'...i did this and made a set of rubber cushions...everything works great..in fact i went out today and did a 200 mile 'torture test' and tried to break them...up in Marin on all those twisty roads..no problems at all. nary a squeak or rattle.

but I am still not totally happy..what i am going to do is order another set of the 'endpiece and ring' and have them on both top and bottom...that'll work real nicely. make them easier to adjust as well.

my jics came with no rubber pads and no literature AT ALL...not even aparts list.

but, it turned out just fine. I love this suspension...I can hit turns at 80-90 mph with full confidence that where scary at 50 before.

but.therse no way these where 'specifically designed' for the Z...they sort of just 'kinda fit'.

but...all that being said the ride is 20 times better handling -wise. and not nearly as stiff as I had feared. i also put in the Nismo S-sways....
Old 08-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

I also depends on the 350Z kit you ordered. If you got the full kit withthe linier rears everything is in the kit. The softer kit with the progresssive rate rear springs uses the stock factory perch and the bottom rides on the arm.

Jeff - JIC is back from vacation today and I will be working your set today.

Regards
Old 08-04-2003, 04:28 AM
John

I will call and harass JIC today for the rubber mounts and the adjustment tools. Also, the brake line brackets supplied with the kit are a joke, and don't even fit around the shock housing.

As for the shocks rattling, yes, I can hear that as well. I think what you need to do is take the reddish colored rings that were on top of the OEM mounts and use them on top of the JIC mounts.

This trial-and-error process has been a big PITA, and I'm extremely dissappointed with JIC. Considering the cost of the suspension, you would expect more reliable service from JIC / Zeal Motorsports. More about my experience to come in a later thread.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:19 AM
BlackZ33

Any updates?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

JIC is checking and/or redoing the rears on Jeff's set. We paid to have them overnighted to JIC to get a quich turnaround.

Regards
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
jak

Paul at Avalon has been great. I would reccomend Avalon to everyone. Thanks Paul.

I hope JIC has a solution and the rattling issue is not inherant to the design. I have the stock shocks on with the JIC springs right now and even though the ride is not on par with the JIC's, the car does feel very solid with no rattles.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2003, 01:55 AM
BlackZ33

I have been thinking about upgrading to JIC FLTA-2
but is worried about lacking of parts...
Living in Canada will make it even worse...because of customs...
Old 10-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Z33@TOR

so...is there a solution to whether the adjustable perch sits on the top or bottom??

i have it on the bottom but the pic of the JIC race car in hyper rev does show it installed on the top.....pls help JIC!!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:37 PM
John

LOL, a thread dug up from the dead... the adjustable perch on the bottom should be on the rear...
Old 10-05-2003, 06:07 PM
jak

Originally posted by John
LOL, a thread dug up from the dead... the adjustable perch on the bottom should be on the rear...
WRONG! Perch on the top with JIC spring into stock rubber spring at bottom. There has been a lot of mis-information being spread around on this topic.

With the perch on the bottom the perch will sit cocked because the lower control arm is made spiraled to accept the spring. This will cause an uneven loading on the spring and cause unnecessary rattling.

Further, with the perch mounted on the bottom it is impossible to adjust ride height without lowering the control arm first. It would be plain retarded to install the springs in this manner.

Jeff

Quick Reply: JIC coilover install help