Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Results after bedding my Stoptech 2 kit - your advise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Results after bedding my Stoptech 2 kit - your advise?

Hi guys, it's 12am now in my timezone. I just got back from an empty main road to bed my stage 2 Stoptech kit.

Here's how i did it: I ran upto about 110kph then I hit the brakes hard till i slow down to 20-30ish and then pick up speed immediately.
I did the whole process 11x to make sure. I could see shiny, glittery dust particles on my rims afterwards. . . and that smell!

So below are the pics of the result.

I need your advise if I really did it correctly or not.

I will start with the fronts:

As you can see the middle part of the disc seems to be the only part which is in proper contact? or is this normal? i got the same results for both front sides.

Then here are the rear ones..

Rear/Right side:
It seems like there's not much friction/pad pressure compared to the one in the front and rear/left?

Rear/Left side:
This pic shows to me like the pads are getting more pressure than the one on right side?

It's my first time to upgrade to a performance brake so any advise/opinion would be great! :wavey:

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

appears that you may need some more....or the front rotor isn't flat. (needs to be turned on lathe)...can use a runout gauge to find out for sure. but I suspect your center section is higher than the rest.(SINCE THEY ARE BRAND NEW I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THAT'S THE CASE) could be the pads though...I'd do the bedding procedure all over again, and see where it gets you first...they may have had a high spot.

1st Rear - looks too pretty...but it is applying pressure. I'd bleed the brakes in proper order...and see where it gets you. Brembo's are a PITA to bleed since they have 2x bleeder valves oh and Fronts will show more than rears as the fronts do the majority of the work...I'm not sure on the % split on a Z but many cars are split ~60/40, some even higher split

Hows the pedal feel? If it has any squich, re-bleed brakes!

hard to diagnose this via internet since I can't put my hands on it...but my suggestion is:
- if the pedal has any give rebleed then retry procedure as recommended by manufacturer.
- if no squish, re bed as recommended by manufacturer....
then see where you are.

I'm sure someone else who'se done the Stage 2 on their Brembo car will be able to help you more. I'm just offering general advice....so hopefully someone will chime in w/ specifics

Last edited by WTX350Z; 09-09-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
350Zdj

ey WTX,

pedal feel is very solid. slight press and she's already biting. the mechanic who bleeded them really took his time to do it perfectly.

you're right, it's pretty impossible to actually diagnose this over the net. need hand's on.

i was also thinking about the % braking split which u mentioned. that's probably the case. im going to take her to the mechanic and see what he has to say before i redo the whole bedding process again.

i appreciate your post bro! thanks much!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 AM
350Zdj

one last thing... is it reaaally that noisy with these ceramic pads? they squeal a lot specially when they're heated up. I hate getting people's attention, making them think that my brakes are effed up.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
BluRed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
one last thing... is it reaaally that noisy with these ceramic pads? they squeal a lot specially when they're heated up. I hate getting people's attention, making them think that my brakes are effed up.

i was told ceramic was supposed to be quiet. i have 2pc slotted rotors with hawk hps with my brembos. they squeal when it gets hot, maybe i melted them when trying to bed them i dont know
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 AM
350Zdj

Originally Posted by BluRed
i was told ceramic was supposed to be quiet. i have 2pc slotted rotors with hawk hps with my brembos. they squeal when it gets hot, maybe i melted them when trying to bed them i dont know

Well mine's the ULT ceramic pads. the squealing's gone now that i re bedded them again. It only squeals at low speed - around 15mph below.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Well mine's the ULT ceramic pads. the squealing's gone now that i re bedded them again. It only squeals at low speed - around 15mph below.
This explanation might not make sense. But it likely has to do with pedal pressure. light pressure = sqeals, even the quietest pads can be made to make noise. Having said that the one set of Ceramics I had were arguably the best pads I've ever owned. I'll likely go Ceramic on the Z when its time. Granted this was on a "sport luxury sedan"...but they were silent, low dust, and great pedal feel.

Hope all is working for you now.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
350Zdj

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
This explanation might not make sense. But it likely has to do with pedal pressure. light pressure = sqeals, even the quietest pads can be made to make noise. Having said that the one set of Ceramics I had were arguably the best pads I've ever owned. I'll likely go Ceramic on the Z when its time. Granted this was on a "sport luxury sedan"...but they were silent, low dust, and great pedal feel.

Hope all is working for you now.
pretty late reply here, but thanks a lot for the feedback.

yep! she's doing fine now. damn, these brakes are solid!