Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replacing just front calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Fletch69z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing just front calipers

Ok guys, don't flame me if this seems like a stupid question but I autocross pretty frequently and don't want to dump $3000 into a BBK setup that is overkill for my application. I have gotten to spend a little time with Danny Popp (successful SCCA road course racer) who races vettes rather than spending a ton of money on BBK he simply takes the stock Z06 front brakes and puts them on the whole car. My goal is to simply replace the calipers (and of course pads) on the front of the car to something with more bite. The stock single piston calipers are not great as I'm sure you all know. I've already replaced the stock rotors with stock size slotted rotors, the pads with HKS pads, and the lines with SS lines. I just want more grip and stopping power for autocrossing. Any suggestions on fairly inexpensive calipers that would fit stock size rotors and websites that sell them for cheap? Thanks and again, sorry if this seems like a stupid question but if I had $2-3K I would buy a Vortech off of my buddy so I just want some better calipers that will increase stopping power. Thanks!
Fletch
Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

none that anyone knows of
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Fletch69z

No one knows where to buy calipers?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you're asking where to buy bigger calipers that work on stock, non brembo rotors...there is no such animal

your option? check the private classifieds
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Fletch69z

So, what are my options then? I guess I could switch rotors but it seems like some aftermarket brake company would make more aggressive calipers for stock size rotor applications. This whole spending $2-3k on brakes seems pretty stupid to me. I saw a site a while ago that had Wilwood brake calipers for fairly cheap (approximately $4-600 range for calipers and pads). I don't remember which site this was though and I was hoping someone else had seen it.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

your options are in the private classified section

there are no calipers that will bolt up to a non brembo Z that you don't already own

a stock brake system is more than enough if all you're doing is street driving and auto-x

if you want better breaking and more grip, step up your tire and/or start taking weight out.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Fletch69z

I've taken about as much weight out as I can. My tires are decent for an autocross setup but the stock single piston calipers suck. They are ok for daily driving but when you run them through several back to back runs and they start to fade. They also don't exactly inspire confidence. Ok, so forget about stock size rotors and tell me what reasonably priced front calipers and rotors I can buy.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you could also getting yourself into a better pad - Hawk HPS are just a pure level street pad. The tires are the most important part of being fast, and yes KDW are a good tire..but there are better out there too.

As far as reasonably priced brakes, under $2k gets you a Stoptech 4 piston kit with lines, pads (street pads), fluid, 2 piece 332mm floating rotors and it fits under all stock Z wheels.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I've taken about as much weight out as I can. My tires are decent for an autocross setup but the stock single piston calipers suck. They are ok for daily driving but when you run them through several back to back runs and they start to fade. They also don't exactly inspire confidence. Ok, so forget about stock size rotors and tell me what reasonably priced front calipers and rotors I can buy.
The bigger OEM non-Brembo found on later models.

TK
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by T_K
The bigger OEM non-Brembo found on later models.

TK

the 06-up non-brembos use a 2 piston caliper and a slightly larger rotor. you could do that and a good pad--i like my carbotechs. i have no real "issues" with limited track useage, but will still be investing in a bbk.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Fletch69z

Would the 06+ non-brembo 2 pistons not fit an 03 rotor size then? I would need both, the rotor and calipers? I've also been reading the thread about building your own setup and fabricating brakets for them. I have a few friends that own the right equipment and could easily make the brakets with the dimensions given in that thread and I think this seems like a good option as well. I feel like I've upgraded everything else except the brakes to it seems like that should be the next thing upgraded further.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Considering stock 03 to 05 brakes with good pads work for a couple laps on a race course, and i've personally done it. There is no need for an upgrade for autocross. BTW i did many autocrosses on my stock 03 brakes too.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock brakes work decently well on a road course when you use the right pads. I used Hawk HP+ and could get about 4-5 laps on VIR's full course before they started to fade. A buddy of mine has used Carbotech XP10(?, i think that's right) on his 350Z and had no trouble at all.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
WTX350Z

fade is byproduct of excessive heat. different pad will effect fade, or lack there-of. and I'm still convinced that if your reaching 60+ brake ducting will decrease brake temps... I think it'd be much more beneficial on a track vs an autox. but if your looking for cheaper alternatives, its one you could try. It most definitely won't hurt.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the 06+ non-brembo 2 pistons not fit an 03 rotor size then? I would need both, the rotor and calipers? I've also been reading the thread about building your own setup and fabricating brakets for them. I have a few friends that own the right equipment and could easily make the brakets with the dimensions given in that thread and I think this seems like a good option as well. I feel like I've upgraded everything else except the brakes to it seems like that should be the next thing upgraded further.
05+ G35s have the upgraded brakes too. I'm just throwing it out there because its a really cheap alternative.

TK
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM
chrisaray

check these out. great deal at $1395 for the fronts
http://www.arizonazcar.com/350zbrakes.html
Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Beau

Or fastbrakes.com for their 13" front ONLY kit $995 and I think that is shipped also. Or $2,300 for front and rear.