Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Finally got Brembo Brakes... Off an R35...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
ah man, that did it for me! i need those NOW!!!!!

btw, are there any pics of your car anywhere? I've seen Adams car posted all over the place, but I don't think I've seen yours anywhere
Not really, any pics I take of my progress I post on our blog. I rarely post anything about my car up on this board.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

^Kwame makes me feel better about my Endless BBK
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Not really, any pics I take of my progress I post on our blog. I rarely post anything about my car up on this board.
i swear i looked through the whole thing... is it the one with the amuse super leggera (sp) kit that still being built?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lgear080
I still think that either road I intended to travel would have ultimately lead to
increased ownership costs. I appreciate the cost input, but I have some decent
personal resources for locating dead stock items as far as aftermarket components
go. What's the pricepoint on endless 6/4 racing rotors and pads? I am assuming same
ballpark right? I am confident I will have better overall cost structure compared to
my other braking choices, but perhaps I am wrong - time will tell. I do know that
there will be infinitely more R35's on the road with their OE brembo setups than
350z 6/4 endless kits.
The way I see it the road you are taking has its ups and downs over the standard Endless racing 6/racing 4 kit. The ups being that you will have a more unique setup for a 350z (as rare as the Endless kit is that's a pretty difficult feat to achieve), monoblock calipers (the racing 6/racing 4 is a two piece caliper) and bigger rotors (over the standard Endless kit, obviously 380mm calipers are optional and available).

The down side is (and I don't mean to ) would be getting it to all work (ensuring proper piston sizes, brake bias, master cylinder, brake booster, mounting brackets, wheel fitment, etc.), cross drilled rotors (even for a street vehicle they don't last as long as slotted rotors which are the standard rotor type for the Endless kit) and replacement parts costs.

At the end of the day you've made a decision and I think you are at the point of no return so I am in to see your end result and I once again bid you good luck.

Oh, and enough with people commenting about the "haters" comments they are becoming redundant.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
zman1982

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
i swear i looked through the whole thing... is it the one with the amuse super leggera (sp) kit that still being built?
nope, that is a different car here

just search Mag Blue on our blog, you'll find exclusive kwame content lolol - he's a mag blue *****

anyway, back on topic

look forward to seeing it all come together. I know first hand what it's like to do this exact type of job - it's not for everyone, as there are alot of i's to dot and t's to cross, but in the end, you end up with something unique, which is the name of the game for some of us. I went through these exact type of issues when I decided a few years ago "how cool would it be if I had an AP kit on my Datsun (280ZX-T)" - and so it began. Ended up having brackets cnc'd for the AP 6 piston calipers, custom hats machined, etc etc. Thankfully they cleared the wheels I had with ease, and even the existing brake lines bolted right up. Was retardly expensive, but anything on my Datsun has been, since there is just a lack of parts made for it that are worth using. But in the end, I have something no one else does, and I am cool with that. I still will need to figure out the booster and master cylinder issues, but thankfully AP, Tilton, and others make universal versions that I can adapt pretty easily.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 08-14-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
blasian

The way I see it the road you are taking has its ups and downs over the standard Endless racing 6/racing 4 kit. The ups being that you will have a more unique setup for a 350z (as rare as the Endless kit is that's a pretty difficult feat to achieve), monoblock calipers (the racing 6/racing 4 is a two piece caliper) and bigger rotors (over the standard Endless kit, obviously 380mm calipers are optional and available).

The down side is (and I don't mean to ) would be getting it to all work (ensuring proper piston sizes, brake bias, master cylinder, brake booster, mounting brackets, wheel fitment, etc.), cross drilled rotors (even for a street vehicle they don't last as long as slotted rotors which are the standard rotor type for the Endless kit) and replacement parts costs.

At the end of the day you've made a decision and I think you are at the point of no return so I am in to see your end result and I once again bid you good luck.

Oh, and enough with people commenting about the "haters" comments they are becoming redundant.
Hater
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
just search Mag Blue on our blog, you'll find exclusive kwame content lolol - he's a mag blue *****
well, i saw his headlights...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
zman1982

Has this project hit a stand still?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Mitsuomi

was supposed to be done last month or something, maybe they ***'d up and he suicide
Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM
lgear080

my car has been el stuck in the bodyshop due to a scrape. that visit turned into a
full on hatch shave and respray along with the needed fixes (minor)... patience. patience. patience.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitsuomi
maybe they ***'d up and he suicide
that phrasing haha
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
lgear080

esol perhaps?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
zman1982

Is this experiment dead?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

he posted an update last week.......
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 AM
lgear080

A fellow z/g nutcase has agreed to help. I am at a standstill with the local
performance shops, but might have found a solution for bracket design.

No sense in going into further detail as my crystal ball broke a LONG time
ago.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ago.

Aw.

I came in hoping for the final pics.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Mikie13

In for project completion...I for one hope that this works out. Modifying has taken this trial and error course ever since cars were first built. Its why we do it...to have the latest, greatest, most different, and coolest. Imagine the first person to do the LS1 swap into a 240. Or those guys who swapped in E39 M5 engine into little E36 engine bays...they do it for the sport and fun of it. Obviously if you have the pockets...kudos to you! I wish I had the pockets...well my credit cards have the pockets, but I don't have the pockets to pay their pockets haha.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
zman1982

ago.
Damn man that sux, I hope you do find a solution to the bracket. I have been watchin this thread from the start and would like to see pics when completed. I kinda figured a couple of weeks back there was a problem. Hang in there and get this done.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 AM
javyLSU

Good luck with the bracket, that's ALWAYS the hardest part of trying to build a BBK. It's not just the task of finding someone competent enough to do it, but finding someone who is competent, willing to take one-off custom jobs, and not rape you for doing it.
Originally Posted by black07nismo
so i thought i would chime in a bit. i purchased a set of brembo's in december timeframe. they are almost identical to the gtr brakes. in fact the 6 piston gt kit for the car is better than the gtr kit...

brembo said that the gtr brakes are from their OEM manufacturer, that the aftermarket brembo is a completely different process and a much better product...
This corroborates what the chief engineer at Race Technologies (Brembo USA) has told me. Brembo has two separate divisions - the OEM program and the Brembo Performance program (which is both the Gran Turismo and Brembo Racing programs). The OEM Brembo program is headquartered in Detroit and all the R&D/planning for any OEM application is based out of that office. Brembo Performance (the GT and Brembo Racing programs) is headquartered in Costa Mesa, CA. The engineers are housed there, and all measurements/R&D work is done there (which is how I met the chief engineer). Every GT kit is R&D'd out of Costa Mesa. Those specs are then sent to Italy for approval and manufacturing. Once the components are manufactured, they are sent to Costa Mesa and warehoused until an order is placed for a particular GT kit. The kit is then assembled, inspected, packaged, and shipped from Race Technologies in Costa Mesa to whatever dealer sold them, and finally to the customer.

Brembo will themselves tell you that the GT/Brembo Racing kits are superior in many ways to any OEM supplied Brembo product. Items like caliper stiffness, heat capacity, and manufacturing processes are some of the resons. Think about it - each GT kit is made to order, while OEM applications are designed with mass production and cost savings as the most important factors.

I think you'll find that at the end of the day you are going to be paying a higher premium simply because your brake components are slated for a GT-R R35 as opposed to a 350z.
This is also true. In buying replacement pads for my Brembo GT 6/4 kit, the pad selection is ENORMOUS, because they're Brembo GT calipers, and share pad sizes with the rest of the Brembo GT caliper family. They're also surprisingly affordable - I just bought a 4-corner set of Hawk pads for my GT kit for $259 shipped! The discs and pads for this specific scenario will be much higher in price because it's going to be an application-specific sizing, unless Brembo designed the OEM GT-R caliper to use the same pad as another one of their OEM systems (which is highly doubtful on a car like the GT-R). Oh, and they're also "GT-R" pads and discs, which you can bet they'll charge for too. But hey, if you can pull this off, you'll definitely be unique, and there's something to be said about that. Sometimes you gotta pay to play, right?

I know how frustrating it is to be "stuck" where you are right now, I hope you can find a resource to help you get those brakes up and running on your car!

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 09-02-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally got Brembo Brakes... Off an R35...