Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Camber Arm Construction... Can these even be used?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Tiltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Arm Construction... Can these even be used?

I recently purchased these off of another board member. They were advertised as Stillen Camber Arms, however I don't think they are, because they seem to be so crappily constructed. The rod ends were pretty much toast, but I am pretty sure I can get some replacements at a 4x4 shop. I more worried about the tolerances of the arms and the differences between both arms.

Notice the bends are slightly different

Left arm sits slightly flat while the other doesn't

The arms don't look like they were tweaked because of an accident or anything. They were dirty and well used and after I cleaned them up I found all of the parts to be heavy duty. Their wasn't any rust, just grime.... But yeah both arms are slightly different. Is this gonna be a problem, or should it not matter since they are adjustable and the lengths can be matched up.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd toss those in the trash
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I myself would as well but its your car and your choice......

those are some ebay stillen look alikes......

OEM CAMBER ARM - FYI:
The factory non adjustable camber arm is a hollow weak properties steel with a bend in it "by design" its designed by Nissan to be the weak point in case of a curb check/accident, etc........

if anyone ever taps a curb, etc the camber arm is the first thing to bend......and from nissan is a about a 24 dollar replacement.....

Stillen and a few others mimic this 'kink' in their aftermarket designs, but whatever..........don't be hitting curbs..... which is what i think happened to this arm.

That arm like i said looks to be an ebay special - which is made with cheap schedule 40 or weaker ductile steel.......the rod ends are of cheap casting with steel spacers on each end that fit inside it.......usually 5/8-18 rod ends.....

up to you.......

-J
Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sorry but the was completely noticable in the FS thread... i saw it but didnt feel like taking a **** on someones thread for something so noticable... i think it may have even been mentioned too.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Tiltz

Originally Posted by Guilty1s
Im sorry but the was completely noticable in the FS thread... i saw it but didnt feel like taking a **** on someones thread for something so noticable... i think it may have even been mentioned too.
I didn't notice it and the seller didn't mention it. I just thought dirty stillen arms that need new rod ends for a good deal.

But... I am not gonna use them, I'll just send them back.

I bought brand new toe spc toe bolts. People say camber doesn't kill tires. Am I gonna be good if I just install the toebolts?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camber kills tires!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Tiltz

I bought brand new toe spc toe bolts. People say camber doesn't kill tires. Am I gonna be good if I just install the toebolts?
When people say that they are usually and if anything*.....accepting out of spec camber for the FRONT, way out of spec camber on the rear (driving tires) is gonna be an issue....

depending on how low you are, and how much out of spec your camber is in the rear is what will determine if you will "kill" tires.....

up to you, monitor them and decide after you get an alignment with the install of ONLY spc toe bolts...

-J
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbs
Camber kills tires!!
Bad toe kills faster.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Tiltz

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
When people say that they are usually and if anything*.....accepting out of spec camber for the FRONT, way out of spec camber on the rear (driving tires) is gonna be an issue....

depending on how low you are, and how much out of spec your camber is in the rear is what will determine if you will "kill" tires.....

up to you, monitor them and decide after you get an alignment with the install of ONLY spc toe bolts...

-J
Word, Ill go for the lifetime alignment at firestone. When/if my T1rs are starting to die Ill dismount them and do a side to side tire rotation and install the camber arms, then realign.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
The factory non adjustable camber arm is a hollow weak properties steel with a bend in it "by design" its designed by Nissan to be the weak point in case of a curb check/accident, etc........

Stillen and a few others mimic this 'kink' in their aftermarket designs, but whatever..........
FYI, the bend or kink is necessary for the rear endlinks not to contact the camber arm under heavy suspension roll. Early on when we first designed our camber arms, we tried a straight design but found that in testing on track that there would be marks on the camber arm from where the endlinks contact the arms.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
FYI, the bend or kink is necessary for the rear endlinks not to contact the camber arm under heavy suspension roll. Early on when we first designed our camber arms, we tried a straight design but found that in testing on track that there would be marks on the camber arm from where the endlinks contact the arms.
sure for racing purposes, but i doubt nissan cared for that...

My design engineer bud on the Z program said it was made of hollow ductile steel to be the weak point on purpose......many threads on my350z of people bending them after minor curb checks....

keeps nissan out of major liabilty "if other" parts broke..
Also its ideal in a crash situation for the wheels to tuck under versus any other...
plus the oem camber arm arm diameter is small, doesn't hit end link due to how small in dia it is.....how thick/dia is your "tested" camber arm? your current spl camber arms are large diameter tube arms and of course would need to be kinked to clear...

*EDIT:
https://my350z.com/forum/6115444-post1.html
https://my350z.com/forum/6116366-post28.html
https://my350z.com/forum/6116558-post30.html

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-10-2011 at 05:01 AM.