Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

brake issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
joe3228

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issue?

ok so ive searched and searched,

a few weeks ago my brakes started getting bad, and sounded as well as felt like i had a warped rotor, u could feel in the pedal as well as hear a thud thud thud, as if i had a nastly warped rotor, i brought the car into the dealership for an unrelated issue, and they noted that i needed front brakes, so i changed front pads and rotors, and it didnt take care of the noise, but the brakes felt a little better.

so the following week i replaced the rear pads and rotors, and wala! the noise was gone,

after about 2 miles the noise came back except its now a loud clicking, exactly like before except it doesnt feel like a grinding warped rotor, just a loud click same speed and frequency as before.

it mostly happens under harder braking but sometimes even light braking, and speed doesnt matter its all the time. ive checked and rechecked everything but i dont know also its non-brembo brakes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The clicking is from the front or rear?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
350junkie

Originally Posted by davidv
The clicking is from the front or rear?
+1 There's some know issues involving clicking in the rear.

and did you properly bed in the pads? If not then that would produce the shake you felt when braking.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Cnthinkoname

+2. If it was an old car I would look at the caliper but doubt it on a Z. Any possibility of something being bent? How was the wear on the pads?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Alron400

Default Try your Antilock Brakeing system.

Hi mate, I have a Maxima Ti with the same issue somretimes and it always turns out to be "Air in the Antlock Brakeing System".

I get under the car and while a friend pumps the Brakes I bleed the system Rear first, then front and the Clicking as you call it goes away.

Try it, it will work if you bleed them corectly.

Alron 400
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
neox

There's a TSB out from Nissan about a clicking rear axle but it doesn't have anything to do with brakes. My car clicked when I first started out in 1st or reverse. The TSB consists of adding to grease to the rear axle and then reassembling.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
joe3228

ok sorry i didnt reply i thought this thread didnt get put up, glad it did tho, i believe it to be coming from the rear, although it sounds to be from the front its hard to tell because the cars so small, the reason i believe its the rear is that i replaced the front brakes first and no sound, except the grinding in the rear, after changing the rear, is when the clicking appeared, and feels similar in the pedal to a warped rotor, but im positive its not.

i think i will bleed the brakes, its worth a shot anyway, this is so frustrating.

i dont think that tsb applies based on what it describes as the symptoms,

i almost think it would be a caliper but the new pads and rotors look great, and no unusual wear so far.

also the old front brakes were ok, i could of went without changing them, but the rear ones were pretty bad, also it seemed like someone also way overtorqued the rear lugs so it was a challenge removing the rear rotors. the old rotors had some unusual grooves in them from the pads and were making horrible sounds before i changed them
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM
joe3228

wow i almost threw out a z today lol,

most retarded fix ever, bled all brakes no air at all in system, made noise louder and worse,

checked and rechecked everything, all checks out ok,

after all this all that happened s it became really loud and i discoered it was the front passenger side brake, so i pulled out the slider bolte/pins, did nothing but put them back in, and wala. after all that frustration thats all it was.

i still dont understand it, but i thank all of you for your input.

now that all thats straightened out i got another question?

catback or plenum? which to buy first....