Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Somebody please HELP: Springs, shocks, sways installed today and something is wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sfearl1
problem resolved. it was the strut bar having a clearance issue with the upper plenum.

thank you all for the troubleshooting efforts and Z1 for nailing it on the head
Glad I could help.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
sfearl1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Glad I could help.
Z1, tried searching your old posts but I couldn't find anything on adjusting the Koni's/sways. I was about to start a new thread but I figured I would just ask you here... any advice? I know where to adjust them, I just don't know what settings to start with to match the RS-R's for DD'ing. I plan on autox'ing and taking it to the track this summer but for now I just need to lose some of the bounce I've got. The settings on the sways and shocks are all set at medium/neutral.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

First of all set the sways to full soft, set your dampers to where the feel good, then change the sways to get your car to handle as needed. YOu sways at full soft are still stiffer than stock.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Z1NONLY

I agree with starting your sways at full soft. (Particularly the rear sway.)

I try to keep my shocks near the "middle" of their range. -usually just use the shocks for "fine tuning".

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-11-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I agree with starting your sways at full soft. (Particularly the rear sway.)

I try to keep my shocks near the "middle" of their range. -usually just use the shocks for "fine tuning".
I fine tune at the track with the dampers too, but i run the shocks as soft as possible on the street. Its a little bit different for a car that not tracked. It will never get pushed to the point you can see if and how the suspension is actually working.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 PM
sfearl1

i ended up setting sways to full soft like you guys said and it completely eliminated the harsh ride. completely changed my opinion on my new setup. i love it!

another problem i noticed today though... my rear end is lop-sided. the left side is noticeably lower than the right. can this be sagging in the springs already? or maybe an alignment issue?

to give you an idea of what i was doing when i noticed it... i cleaned my rotors and brakes today so i jacked the car up for about 2 hours or so on each side, using 2 jacks, and removed both wheels and tires at the same time. could i have done something to a strut in the rear? i don't think that would've done anything to the alignment but maybe having the strut compressed like that for 1-2 hours did something. any clues guys?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Z1NONLY

My first guess wold be that one of the springs didn't settle-in once you brought the car down.

I would go find some speed bumps and gently drive over them a few times. Just hard enough to cause the suspension to compress a bit. It shouldn't require a lot of force, just some repetition.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
sfearl1

My first guess wold be that one of the springs didn't settle-in once you brought the car down.

I would go find some speed bumps and gently drive over them a few times. Just hard enough to cause the suspension to compress a bit. It shouldn't require a lot of force, just some repetition.
drove it around today for an hour and nothing happened. still much higher on the passenger rear. i'm thinking about jacking the car up tonight and taking a look. anything i should be looking for in particular? maybe the springs sitting weird in the bucket?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by sfearl1
drove it around today for an hour and nothing happened. still much higher on the passenger rear. i'm thinking about jacking the car up tonight and taking a look. anything i should be looking for in particular? maybe the springs sitting weird in the bucket?
Sorry I missed this yesterday. I would look at the spring perches and make sure both springs are making contact the same way on both sides. (top and bottom)