Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hydraulic Handbrake install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hydraulic Handbrake install

hey guys,
i just bought a Hydraulic handbrake for my Z , i really need it sometimes when drifting since the stock ebrake sux big time!
Has anyone here installed a Hydraulic handbrake ?
thanks...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
redman333

Do you use t for parking on a crowded street?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 PM
JDMStanced

Post pics plz. Are you going to be getting an extra set of rear calipers?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

See the drifting 101 thread for an inline set up:
https://my350z.com/forum/drift/39963...ing-the-z.html

see this thread for 2nd caliper - separate hydraulic line system separated completely from oem brake lines:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...rs-ebrake.html

-J
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
KTran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ksport hydro ebrake...will install later
Name:  DSC_1542.jpg
Views: 8695
Size:  188.5 KB
Name:  DSC_1537.jpg
Views: 8223
Size:  128.0 KB
Name:  DSC_1547.jpg
Views: 14311
Size:  129.9 KB

after researching and talking to a few legit people, i found a way to install this. It'll replace my factory ebrake handle and I plan on removing the crap drum setup and cables.
I will be getting measurements, lines, and fittings soon.

i'll try to do a writeup with pics

Last edited by KTran; 10-28-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
JDMStanced

after researching and talking to a few legit people, i found a way to install this. It'll replace my factory ebrake handle and I plan on removing the crap drum setup and cables.
I will be getting measurements, lines, and fittings soon.

i'll try to do a writeup with pics[/QUOTE]

If you get rid of the crap drum setup then are you be able to use the hydraulic e brake for parking?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 AM
KTran

Originally Posted by 350zRiot

If you get rid of the crap drum setup then are you be able to use the hydraulic e brake for parking?
yea, or to save caliper pistons, i'll just leave the car in gear
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 AM
JDMStanced

i wonder why you got ksport, the one looks like the OEMs because IIRC, there isn't enough room the shift gears when there is the hydro ebrake lever right next to it.
Should've went with the vertical lever?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

the ksport can be adjusted to work vertically as well..

OP, i think you should look into doing that along with mounting it up under the stereo...under the uni-meter ac control unit white box.

-J
Old 10-29-2010, 05:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Also? what did these "legit" people say as to routing/installing it???

as there really is only the way i mention above for it to work....
-J
Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM
KTran

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Also? what did these "legit" people say as to routing/installing it???

as there really is only the way i mention above for it to work....
-J
didnt mean to knock anyone's ego,

I'll just copy/paste my messages:

Originally Posted by Tran
Originally Posted by Derrick
Hooking an inline hydro e-brake into the 350Z is a little tricky, especially if you want to retain the ABS functionality. Replacing that junction block with two Y's would almost work, except with two possible paths for brake-fluid to travel between the abs unit and the first Y-block it may be impossible to bleed properly, and it would be impossible to ever get the ABS to work. The other possible arrangement (the way I did it on Aaron's Z years ago) was to intercept one of the two hydraulic lines between the brake master cylinder and the ABS pump unit. The problem here is the Z uses an X-form hydraulic routing, meaning that each of those two lines provides pressure to a front wheel and a rear wheel. The solution here is to swap two of the four lines coming out of the ABS unit so that one of those master cylinder lines Y's inside the ABS pump to both rear wheels. The ABS will need to be disabled of course, simply by unplugging the pump unit - this way the rear brake lights continue to work and the throttle cut is deactivated. The ABS can be retained for street use with some re-arranging of the wheel-speed sensor wires to match the hydro routing on the ABS pump, but for just getting the car ready for drifting it's not necessary to make the ABS work.

Hope this makes sense.

Derrick

One more thing -- I just looked at Jason's thread on my350z (I hadn't before)https://my350z.com/forum/drift/28106...e-brake-2.html, and there's just no way it would work. The e-brake master cylinder must be IN-LINE with the existing hydraulic system to work correctly - meaning the path of hydraulic fluid must come from the foot-brake master, flow into the inlet of the e-brake master, and then from the outlet of the e-brake master to the rear wheels. Configured as Jason has in his diagrams, when you step on the foot-brake, brake fluid would flow to the y-blocks, then prefer to flow up into the e-brake master and out its reservoir - a huge problem! When a master-cylinder is not being used, fluid is free to travel both ways, and Jason's e-brake master would be a huge pressure leak when you use the foot brake!

So in the 350Z the challenge is in using one e-brake master in-line with 2 separate pressure lines to the rear wheels. The solution as I've described in my last PM is to place the e-brake master in-line between the brake master and the ABS unit, and then swapping the ABS outlet lines appropriately so the e-brake pressurizes both rear calipers. That's how I hooked up Aaron's Z, and it worked just fine.

Derrick
tranman's reply:
I downloaded a 350z fsm and i looked at the diagram for the oem master and abs unit. The master has 2 lines coming out of it, one(primary) and another(secondary). As you said earlier, the 350z's abs unit controls flow/pressure to each wheel in an X-form hydraulic form.

now below, this diagram shows that the primary line controls flow/press. to Front Left and Right Rear brake calipers. The scondary line controls flow/press. from Front Right and Left Rear.

X-pattern flow...

The secondary line controls flow/pressure to the Front Left and Right Rear calipers...hence, x form?

For Example: if i tap the secondary line using a Y fitting, route a custom line to send the flow into the ksport handbrake, and have the out line going back to the abs unit. Then rearrange the 4 brake lines on the abs block so that the primary line controls front brakes and that the secondary line controls rear brakes(rearrange the x form)??

i think that's right, please correct if wrong,

thanks in advance

You got it, that's exactly right, except no Y-fitting is used (unless you want to bypass the ABS block entirely). Route secondary line from brake master to k-sport, then from k-sport to ABS block.

Also, disable the ABS by unplugging the ABS block -- disabling it in this manner retains brake light functionality and disables the throttle-cut when the brake pedal is applied (for left-foot braking, and burnouts, yo).

Derrick

I knew aaron loosey and derrick rogers for a while; and i've witness aaron's old drift 350z with real life working hydro ebrake, so i figured I'd go ask them for advice too...

i hope this info help others...

Last edited by KTran; 10-30-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 AM
KTran

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
i wonder why you got ksport, the one looks like the OEMs because IIRC, there isn't enough room the shift gears when there is the hydro ebrake lever right next to it.
Should've went with the vertical lever?

I'll make it work, plus my bubble shiftknob helps
Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 AM
KTran

borrowed one of my friends ksport ebrake that's in the vertical position.
decided to take the console out and test fit...generated a few ideas.

pics:
Name:  DSC_1977edit1.jpg
Views: 11676
Size:  85.8 KBthis pic was before i removed the oem handle...thats why the console is all high and janky looking. The ksport is resting on top of the oem handle, but it gives you a good visual.

the rest of the pics, the oem ebrake is removed:
Name:  DSC_1994edit.jpg
Views: 7560
Size:  79.2 KB
Name:  DSC_1997edit.jpg
Views: 7920
Size:  143.3 KB
Name:  DSC_1982edit1.jpg
Views: 8969
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  DSC_1998edit.jpg
Views: 8037
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  DSC_1999edit.jpg
Views: 7958
Size:  98.5 KB

after fooling around, i'm going to keep the handle at the oem/horizon position. Also, I can use the oem bolts to secure the ksport ebrake with a custom fabbed mounting plate. There is a nifty opening provided for the oem ebrake cable that can easily route ss lines to the engine bay.

will probably order lines/fittings by next week and hopefully install...

in mean time, driving around with no ebrake and unbolted console...

Last edited by KTran; 11-12-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

JUST TO BE CLEAR!

One more thing -- I just looked at Jason's thread on my350z (I hadn't before)https://my350z.com/forum/drift/28106...e-brake-2.html, and there's just no way it would work. The e-brake master cylinder must be IN-LINE with the existing hydraulic system to work correctly - meaning the path of hydraulic fluid must come from the foot-brake master, flow into the inlet of the e-brake master, and then from the outlet of the e-brake master to the rear wheels. Configured as Jason has in his diagrams, when you step on the foot-brake, brake fluid would flow to the y-blocks, then prefer to flow up into the e-brake master and out its reservoir - a huge problem! When a master-cylinder is not being used, fluid is free to travel both ways, and Jason's e-brake master would be a huge pressure leak when you use the foot brake!

So in the 350Z the challenge is in using one e-brake master in-line with 2 separate pressure lines to the rear wheels. The solution as I've described in my last PM is to place the e-brake master in-line between the brake master and the ABS unit, and then swapping the ABS outlet lines appropriately so the e-brake pressurizes both rear calipers. That's how I hooked up Aaron's Z, and it worked just fine.

Derrick

Derrick is correct that my method he linked will NOT work with ""your"" inline K sport as its not a master, it just imparts flow from the k sport BACK....its not a master res with "one-way" flow. your k sport is an INLINE in/out system handle. must be spliced inline, the diagram he referenced of mine is not inline! so ya, it wont work like that, of course not.

thats not what i posted. MY diagram will and does work with the parts i listed by willwood. hence why i listed the part numbers. you dont have that, so wont work unless you find different "similar" working equipment.

Originally Posted by KTran

I knew aaron loosey and derrick rogers for a while; and i've witness aaron's old drift 350z with real life working hydro ebrake, so i figured I'd go ask them for advice too...

i hope this info help others...
I know Aaron Loosey and Derrick as well personally from back living in San Antonio, and see them occassionally at fabricated motorsports events... plus I know exactly how he connected Aarons 350z.

I think your honest best bet is to do it like this:
https://my350z.com/forum/8747275-post99.html

its simple, two Y fittings and some line, short amount of line also as its not far from where the ksport handle will be installed........no abs of course. done.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 11-12-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:36 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Remove the passenger wheel well liner and access the existing fitting:

here:

Then go to nackers blog, you can see the rest of how he connected it...
he did this:

Notice here how at 46313 connection he used the Tee fittings im talking about to merge to one line into your Ksport and one line back to the 46313 bottom two lines with another tee:

He (Nackers) however bought adapters and a hardline flare tool because he didnt have the proper metric fittings.

To make it easier, purchase from autozone "asian" hardlines with preinstalled M10x1.0 fittings and then purchase M10x1.0 tee fittings online.

Hint: The bottom left passenger rear of a Nissan 240 has a tee fitting that anyone can get at a local junk yard easy thats M10x1.0

What thread pitch is the ksport in and out port? M10x1.0 ???? if not, then you will need to adapt to whatever the Ksport is..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 11-12-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:35 AM
KTran

good info jason, sorry about the mix up with the ksport/willwood setup...

thanks for the clarification.

question, does it matter which way the master is positioned on the hydro ebrake?

Last edited by KTran; 11-12-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by KTran
good info jason, sorry about the mix up with the ksport/willwood setup...

thanks for the clarification.

question, does it matter which way the master is positioned on the hydro ebrake?
no prob...

as for positioned?? do you mean oriented? as in facing you? or facing fwd?

The inlets are all that matter, fluid flow in then out back to where you came from....

as for the ways you show in the pics above, of your friends cars and your car its fine, the handle can be positioned vertical or horizontal it seems... but not sure exactly what you mean by which way the master is positioned?

-J
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 AM
KTran

no i meant does it matter if the in and outlets on the hydro ebrake's master are facing upwards or downwards...
For installation purposes; i was thinking about flipping the master on the hydro ebrake upside down so that the lines will point downwards instead of upwards.

i guess it doesnt matter since fluid flows in one way and out the other way, just as long as everything is bleeded completely free from air in the system...

Last edited by KTran; 11-12-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
KTran

jason, or anyone

do you know what the thread pitch is for the ports that are on the 350z non brembo's bmc? NOT the junction box in
the wheel well...unless their they're the same, please confirm...

Name:  bmc.jpg
Views: 7974
Size:  68.6 KB

let me know,
thanks

Last edited by KTran; 11-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
KTran

never mind, found it

12x1.0
non brembo 11/16"

12x1.0
brembo 1-1/16"

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Handbrake install