Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question: OEM brembo front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:29 PM
f-350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: OEM brembo front brakes

hi guys

I'm thinking of buying the 6pot and 4pot brembo BBk. was wondering if the OEM 4pot brombo front brakes will fit at the back. and does is it need any kind of modification to get them fit?

if this is a repost please guide me to that thread

Thanks

Last edited by f-350z; 12-12-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

No, and they are Brembo
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
hellsoldiers08

hmm your going to buy a bbk but go cheap and use the fronts for the back hmm.... i would think they would look off(sense the caliber are 2 different looking designs)....
Old 12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
f-350z

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
hmm your going to buy a bbk but go cheap and use the fronts for the back hmm.... i would think they would look off(sense the caliber are 2 different looking designs)....
How would I go cheap since I thought of getting a BBK in the first place?
I thought it would be smart to do that. The only differences are the designe of the caliper and the size of the rotor. If they do fit, then it's an upgrade for the back, as 70% of the braking is up front, and 30% is on the rear.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you;re playing with fire. The outcome will be no better than just using the oe rear.
This is mostly due to bias being out of whack. Just buy a rear kit with the proceeds from the sale of the oe setup.

I've been there and done that. Don't try to outthink or save a few bucks as ultimately you'll fail somewhere.

Take off the front and do a test fit on the rear. I am sure you'll need a bracket, but there is a slim chance you won't.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 PM
hellsoldiers08

^ that why. Also, you know there 2 divisions of brembo, there oem car ones and there actually bbk kits.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No. Callipers are designed to fit a specific rotor size. You cannot mix-and-match callipers and rotors.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by f-350z
hi guys

I'm thinking of buying the 6pot and 4pot brembo BBk. was wondering if the OEM 4pot brombo front brakes will fit at the back. and does is it need any kind of modification to get them fit?

if this is a repost please guide me to that thread

Thanks
#1: This won't work. Actually, you might be able to spend enough money to actually get it to "fit", but you won't have a parking brake. To get all that solved, you would likely spend more money than just getting the proper, matching rear BBK.

#2: Even if it could possibly be done, you will now have an extremely unbalanced (both mechanically and thermally) brake system. This would be extremely unsafe as even the ABS won't be able to react quickly enough to avoid the rear end coming around.

Sorry,

Chris
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
PFC Brakes
Vendor - Former Vendor

Dont know how I didnt see this but yeah not a good idea Chris B pretty much sums it up
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on the type of driving on you plan on doing i wouldn't cheap out when it comes to safety
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your goal - looks or functionality?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
f-350z

Originally Posted by scotts300
What is your goal - looks or functionality?
30% looks - 70% functionality
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Ok. Then I suggest simply doing a front Stoptech kit coupled with your current rear Brembo calipers. They are more than adequate, and the brake bias is good. Track guys with a 4-wheel BBK have found the bias to be horrible, losing that pure functionality. Even the non-Brembo rear kit is workable, however, pad life is greatly reduced given their small surface area (and comparable price to the Brembo rear pads).
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Chris_B

You can get 100% functionality and more than 30% in looks with the AP Racing 4-piston front kit. It is available in either a 1-piece rotor or with 2-piece rotors, depending on what your budget will allow for now versus replacement parts far down the road.

On December special for $1879.00 (also available with slotted-only rotors):

Only $1516 right now:

Both will work just fine with the factory rears (as long as you are not seriously tracking the car). If you have more budget available, go all the way up to the 6-piston front and 4-piston rear solution. Those have special pricing right now also. No one has more experience with brake system upgrades on the G/Z platforms than STILLEN/AP Racing.

Chris Bernal
STILLEN / AP Racing

Last edited by Chris_B; 12-14-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Chris_B
You can get 100% functionality and more than 30% in looks with the AP Racing 4-piston front kit. It is available in either a 1-piece rotor or with 2-piece rotors, depending on what your budget will allow for now versus replacement parts far down the road.

On December special for $1879.00 (also available with slotted-only rotors):

http://www.stillen.com/product_images/AP3720R.jpg

Only $1516 right now:

http://www.stillen.com/product_images/30-3700.jpg

Both will work just fine with the factory rears (as long as you are not seriously tracking the car). If you have more budget available, go all the way up to the 6-piston front and 4-piston rear solution. Those have special pricing right now also. No one has more experience with brake system upgrades on the G/Z platforms than STILLEN/AP Racing.

Chris Bernal
STILLEN / AP Racing
Actually, factory rears - especially the Brembos - are more than adequate for seriously tracked cars. A 6-piston front and 4-piston rear is absolutely unnecessary.

Do you have many track days on your G/Z with the stock set-up compared to the all-Brembo set-up or upgraded 4-piston fronts with stock rears?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Chris_B

Actually, factory rears - especially the Brembos - are more than adequate for seriously tracked cars. A 6-piston front and 4-piston rear is absolutely unnecessary.
We differ in opinion on this one, which is fine. What we have seen (both with customers and in running our own cars since 2002) is that the tiny D905 rear pad shape and small swept area cannot handle heat for extended periods of time. The rear Brembos are better, but a bit short of ideal.

The 350Z uses quite a bit of rear brakes. Under normal street driving conditions, it is very common to see customers wearing out rear pads before the front. Not all, but many. The 370Z has a little more thermal capacity in the rear, but the 350Z was undersized as delivered by Nissan.

Once thermal capacity has been increased on the front axle, the rear can then do more work. This is where the 4-piston rear kit shines, not to mention the more accurate pedal feel and modulation it provides. I'm sure many people have done it both ways. We sure have and would not give up the rear kit for anything if we are doing any serious track work.

It's all about balance (both mechanically and thermally) and feel. For serious drivers, sliding calipers do not provide much of either.

Chris
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

We differ in opinion on this one, which is fine. What we have seen (both with customers and in running our own cars since 2002) is that the tiny D905 rear pad shape and small swept area cannot handle heat for extended periods of time. The rear Brembos are better, but a bit short of ideal.

The 350Z uses quite a bit of rear brakes. Under normal street driving conditions, it is very common to see customers wearing out rear pads before the front. Not all, but many. The 370Z has a little more thermal capacity in the rear, but the 350Z was undersized as delivered by Nissan.

Once thermal capacity has been increased on the front axle, the rear can then do more work. This is where the 4-piston rear kit shines, not to mention the more accurate pedal feel and modulation it provides. I'm sure many people have done it both ways. We sure have and would not give up the rear kit for anything if we are doing any serious track work.

It's all about balance (both mechanically and thermally) and feel. For serious drivers, sliding calipers do not provide much of either.

Chris
We can agree to disagree. Like you said, it is ok.

I agree that the small non-Brembo caliper with it's small area is not ideal. I know a few guys that race(d) with NASA with this rear caliper, and their solution was to have custom pad compositions cut from Porterfield to balance the thermal management. This is the Raybestos ST compound, and when I bought my track-only 350Z a few years ago, I tried this pad in the rear after burning through other "race" pads back there. Traditional race or track pads would last about 2 hours of hard driving on the track, while the Raybestos about tripled that time. That's why I said that the stock non-Brembo caliper could work in the rear, at least for 95+% of users, and my fronts are upgraded of course with the small ST40 332mm kit from StopTech.

Now that I've switched to the OEM Brembo rear set, I can run a more mild an off-the-shelf rear pad (PF97), and they last about 14 hours of hard driving. This is with a dedicated track car at 3000# with standard bolt-ons that runs on Hoosier tires. I do not race it W2W, but have confidence given how hard I push it at the track that it (the brake set-up) would survive without issue. Braking is where I catch up with most of the other high-HP cars, and it has never let me down.

Watch this (starting at about 2:30, which is after the warm-up lap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9gQy5KI0w
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Chris_B

We can agree to disagree. Like you said, it is ok.

I agree that the small non-Brembo caliper with it's small area is not ideal. I know a few guys that race(d) with NASA with this rear caliper, and their solution was to have custom pad compositions cut from Porterfield to balance the thermal management. This is the Raybestos ST compound, and when I bought my track-only 350Z a few years ago, I tried this pad in the rear after burning through other "race" pads back there. Traditional race or track pads would last about 2 hours of hard driving on the track, while the Raybestos about tripled that time. That's why I said that the stock non-Brembo caliper could work in the rear, at least for 95+% of users, and my fronts are upgraded of course with the small ST40 332mm kit from StopTech.

Now that I've switched to the OEM Brembo rear set, I can run a more mild an off-the-shelf rear pad (PF97), and they last about 14 hours of hard driving. This is with a dedicated track car at 3000# with standard bolt-ons that runs on Hoosier tires. I do not race it W2W, but have confidence given how hard I push it at the track that it (the brake set-up) would survive without issue. Braking is where I catch up with most of the other high-HP cars, and it has never let me down.

Watch this (starting at about 2:30, which is after the warm-up lap):
Looks good! I'm glad Thunderhill can be conquered with the OE Brembo rears. Like you said, pads are key to getting the system balanced mechanically. We haven't seen quite the same success at Road America, Road Atlanta or VIR, to name a few. The right pads do help, but those little, tiny rear standard rotors are loathe to comply with repeated 150-40mph braking events. Turn 1 at R/America and turn 10 at R/Atlanta have both taken the life of quite a few of them!

Chris
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Looks good! I'm glad Thunderhill can be conquered with the OE Brembo rears. Like you said, pads are key to getting the system balanced mechanically. We haven't seen quite the same success at Road America, Road Atlanta or VIR, to name a few. The right pads do help, but those little, tiny rear standard rotors are loathe to comply with repeated 150-40mph braking events. Turn 1 at R/America and turn 10 at R/Atlanta have both taken the life of quite a few of them!

Chris
I have cracked the non-Brembo rear rotors a few times as well - both at Laguna Seca and at Thunderhill - it's ugly. I need to drive Road Atlanta one day. Thankfully Laguna is so close.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Chris_B

I have cracked the non-Brembo rear rotors a few times as well - both at Laguna Seca and at Thunderhill - it's ugly. I need to drive Road Atlanta one day. Thankfully Laguna is so close.
Oh great! Now I will be envisioning coming out of the Corskscrew and setting up for turn 9 all the way home tonight! I hope the CHP is otherwise occupied...

Chris