Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Track/Brembo owners: What pads are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
narkotic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DZeckhausen
Stay away from the EBC Greenstuff pad. I've never seen a pad that has a greater propensity for causing pad deposition problems than the EBC. It's very common to hear someone with EBC Greenstuff pads complaining about how their rotors have "warped" when, in fact, the rotors are merely innocent bystanders and the problem is the pads. EBC Greenstuff is indeed a low dust pad, however, it is also low performance.
Sad that this comment will probably steer away lots of potential EBC users. I for one use them on my G35 w/ brembos and they're awesome. Low dust, same bite.. Little whine when coming to a slow stop sometimes but thats inevitable... I reccomend them!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody make slotted rotors for the track model Z? What are the best pads for a track model for hard driving that stop as good or better than stock but dont dust as bad or squeek...? TIA
Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by narkotic
Sad that this comment will probably steer away lots of potential EBC users. I for one use them on my G35 w/ brembos and they're awesome. Low dust, same bite.. Little whine when coming to a slow stop sometimes but thats inevitable... I reccomend them!
That's because your larger (cooler) Brembo rotors and driving style haven't caused these pads to exceed their M.O.T. yet. They are particularly bad on cars with "traditional" smaller brakes because they easily are driven past their maximum thermal limits and then they are terrible "pad poopers", meaning they leave uneven deposits on the rotors. I've seen this time and time again, even with the latest (4th revision) EBC Greenstuff.

Mark my words, in a few months after you've done some aggressive canyon carving or a few autocrosses, you will be complaining about having to replace those expensive Brembo 1-piece rotors. If you take it easy and carefully follow the bed-in procedures on my web site, you MIGHT delay judgement day. Whatever you do, don't EVER take those pads out on the track for a driving school or lapping day, even if you're a novice and running on street tires.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Alberto
Does anybody make slotted rotors for the track model Z? What are the best pads for a track model for hard driving that stop as good or better than stock but dont dust as bad or squeek...? TIA
I can get Brembo Drilled rotors for the track...

370 for the front
352 for the rear

Ill call and see if I can get just slotted...
Old 12-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't run the blues for a reason - I have no reason to. No sense puting opn a pad that will necessitate me changing rotors more often, when the milder pad works great for me. hell, we ran VIR this year with pads that were nearly dead, adn still never had a braking issue. the idea of course is to avoid brakes if at all possible....its the faster way around the track.

As for keeping up, I am not familar with those guys, but certainly would not mind running against them. At Lime Rock, which is a very techincal track, we run as fast as severak of the Speed Cup cars do......mind you we have an E30, not even an E36. When I got to drive a buddies Speed Cup car (E36) this year, my 2nd lap in was a 1:02 at Lime Rock...wth zero setup on the car, just got in and ran the setup he usually runs.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:22 AM
MaddMatt

What Dave said.

I keep hearing these stories about people who are happy with EBC products, but I have yet to actually meet one in person....

Matt<---will go the extra mile to steer people towards ANYTHING but EBC...
Old 12-04-2003, 01:49 PM
mark350

I just put Hawk HPS on my Track Z last night since I put the same pads on the front of my wives G35 a few months ago and have been happy with them since. I bed them in last night per instructions, my opinion on this mornings ride into work is that the inital bite is a little bit better than stock....I guess time will tell. One thing is definetely for certain.....hardly any brake dust as compared to before.